General Bombers Talk More talk of changing the logo. Post your thoughts here.

What should we do with the logo?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Letter from the President: Brand research project​

President Dave Barham provides an update on the club's brand research project.
By essendonfc.com.au - 1 hr ago

To all our Fans and Members,

The Essendon Football Club has a proud history as one of the oldest clubs in the AFL and we have a strong recognisable brand.

We are conducting a preliminary research project which centres around the Essendon brand and its elements.

The research project is in its early phase. Members and supporters have been and will continue to be canvassed as part of this process, in addition to the engagement of multiple Essendon Football Club stakeholders.

We have a proud history of more than 150 years and a deep connection to our members and supporters. This is and will always be respected and embraced.

There is no immediate action to change the club logo or any elements of the club brand. This is a longer-term project with significant work to be completed.

We proudly recognise that our future legacy begins with our proud history.

We will always be called the Bombers.

- Dave Barham

Flicking through some old trademark registrations, all registered to the AFL (not the club). Was hoping to find a clean copy of Essendon in monochrome but not to be.

Found some other interesting s**t though.

This design was apparently for cufflinks and tie pins 30 years ago:
View attachment 1717588

This one is for cardboard cut outs and print media:
View attachment 1717589

Not sure what this is for but apparently the MCG was not always the home of football... registered ~1992
View attachment 1717590

There are also lapsed wordmarks for "Fremantle Hammers" "Fremantle Mariners" "Fremantle Stokers" "Fremantle Dolphins" "Fremantle Courage" and "Fremantle Union" – presumably the names that were considered before Freo became the Dockers. Also a couple of mock up logos for a couple of them:

View attachment 1717593View attachment 1717594View attachment 1717595

There's also this which... I dunno why they didn't use it tbh. Looks great;

View attachment 1717596

Then we have Port's other potential names... "Port Pirates" "Port Mariners" "Port Sharks".

Gold Coast could've been the "Gold Coast Marlins", "Gold Coast Stingrays", "Gold Coast Rays", "Gold Coast Ironmen", "Gold Coast Guards".

And then there are wordmarks not associated with a particular team, could be GWS or GC; "Rangers" "Stallions" "Pride" "Wolves" "Stars" "Stingrays" "Surf".

There's also a trademark and logo for the Tasmanian Devils, but that's been there for years (not just since the team was officially announced).
Stingrays would have been so much better than Suns.

Redbacks - pretty great. I'd support that. Slight jersey change?

I'll also allow:
  • Essendon Airports (sorry amazing 70s band)
  • Essendon Slashers (war out: knife fights in)
  • Essendon Donners Kebabbers (explains itself)

Country league club Jeparit (now disbanded) were the redbacks and wore traditional Essendon red strip.

Having said that, I will kick up a stink if we change from being the bombers.

Christ what a media and nuffy beat up. Every decent sporting organisation should be looking to update and evolve their logo with the times - it's marketing 101. Every semi-decent sporting organisation across the globe does it and we shouldn't be left behind.

I thought that was the reason why they didn't go for it, Stingrays are still cool, though, and would make a top tier nickname. Gold Coast have an awful brand, they should change their nickname and guernsey design. Something aquatic and intimidating, like: Sharks, Stingrays, Eels, Piranhas, etc.

Flicking through some old trademark registrations, all registered to the AFL (not the club). Was hoping to find a clean copy of Essendon in monochrome but not to be.

Found some other interesting s**t though.

This design was apparently for cufflinks and tie pins 30 years ago:
View attachment 1717588

This one is for cardboard cut outs and print media:
View attachment 1717589

Not sure what this is for but apparently the MCG was not always the home of football... registered ~1992
View attachment 1717590

There are also lapsed wordmarks for "Fremantle Hammers" "Fremantle Mariners" "Fremantle Stokers" "Fremantle Dolphins" "Fremantle Courage" and "Fremantle Union" – presumably the names that were considered before Freo became the Dockers. Also a couple of mock up logos for a couple of them:

View attachment 1717593View attachment 1717594View attachment 1717595

There's also this which... I dunno why they didn't use it tbh. Looks great;

View attachment 1717596

Then we have Port's other potential names... "Port Pirates" "Port Mariners" "Port Sharks".

Gold Coast could've been the "Gold Coast Marlins", "Gold Coast Stingrays", "Gold Coast Rays", "Gold Coast Ironmen", "Gold Coast Guards".

And then there are wordmarks not associated with a particular team, could be GWS or GC; "Rangers" "Stallions" "Pride" "Wolves" "Stars" "Stingrays" "Surf".

There's also a trademark and logo for the Tasmanian Devils, but that's been there for years (not just since the team was officially announced).
ahh, takes me back in time to seeing these posted.
Back when GWS and GC were coming into the comp - all the design nerds would scour the trademark index trying to get a look at what their logos might be.

who are these so called PR/Marketing experts advising to change it, why change such an enduring, iconic logo.
They'll be trying to change the Giants next, maybe they should be called the Height Enabled.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the truth and I'm 100% going to ignore anyone who disagrees:
  • the bomber logo is and always has been very average
  • the 150th logo sucked too - partly because it looked like a wheelchair
  • i love the name bombers because it's always been the thing but it doesn't bear close examination

Love this

GC Ironmen wouldn't have let Dew be such a wank

And imagine the Great Western Sydney Stallions. Very manly. But not Manly. Can't be the GWS Surf.
I think Giants refers to the Blue Mountains to the west. Think afternoon shadow on the mountains and an orange sky in the arvo. That's my take on it because I've seen it.

Bombers are so 2000s, drone strikes are the new hotness

stick this mfer on the logo instead

1200px-MQ-9_Reaper_UAV_%28cropped%29.jpg

We can be the Essington Wedding Crashers or something instead

The club is considering a logo update. Where did the political garbage come from? Even Rita Paininthearse has chimed in with her right wing snowflake outrage about "tHe WoKe AgEnDa". Our club gets slammed for changing staff, changing logo, no other club gets this level of outrage for making run of the mill professional sporting club decisions.

I am not an Essendon fan but this annoys me if it’s a politically motivated reason for change.

What about the demons the religious types must be offended by that?

Grow up everyone it’s a name of a sporting club, it is about the club nothing else and attached to that is positive history.

Back