Carlton
Other Teams
N Mystics & GC Lightning
12. Mitch Robinson

robinson_mitch_o.png

DOB: 7/6/1989

Height: 185cm

Weight: 86cm

Draft History: Pick 40 (Carlton), 2008 National Draft.

Recruited From: Lauderdale/Tasmania U18/ Tasmania VFL

Debut: Round 1, 2009 vs Richmond

Twitter: twitter.com/mitchyrobbo

Career Highlights: Video to be provided

2013 Forecast:

Re: Mitch Robinson

Mitch Robinson - (IM) 7 June 1989, 188cm 77kg. Tas/Lauderdale

"Jason McCartney: Mitch Robinson – Mitch again took the game on. That was something that really stood out against Vic Metro. He won 21 disposals, the equal of Tom Lynch, who was Vic Metro's highest ball-winner. He broke the lines, attacked and delivered really well by foot."

"Mitch also delivered the ball inside 50 three times and he really sets the standard for his side. He also had six hard ball gets and five tackles. He was a very good player in division two and he has performed just as well at this level."

"Kevin Sheehan: Mitch Robinson – Robinson has continued the form that saw him win the Hunter Harrison Medal as division two's best-and-fairest in the qualifying series. He has great ball-winning ability (averaging 19 disposals), is a penetrating kick and is evasive to boot. The youngster from Lauderdale has been a shining light for the Mariners."

"Jason McCartney: Mitch Robinson - Mitch won the Harrison Medal in division two and I thought he was outstanding against South Australia. He did tire late in the game, but playing along the wing and in the midfield, he really took them on. He's a line-breaker and a penetrating kick. Mitch had 22 disposals and seven inside 50s and was super impressive. He probably set the scene for the whole team, taking on the opposition and his teammates followed his lead. He was really good."

"Matt Burgan: Playing as an over-age player in the championships, Robinson, 19, produced an outstanding series and was far and away his state's most prominent player. The ball-winner won the Hunter Harrison Medal as the best second division player and was named Tasmania's Most Valuable Player."

"Jason McCartney: Mitch Robinson – Once again, Mitch produced an outstanding performance. I'd never seen him play until the championships, but he took my eye right from his first game in division two. I thought: 'Gee, this kid can play a bit'. And with every game, he got better and better. He starts the games really well and against Vic Country, he ended up with 24 disposals. He was the deserving winner of Tasmania's NAB AFL MVP award, on the back of his Hunter Harrison Medal in division two."

"HFF 07: MICH ROBINSON MID/WING 188cm 77kg Lauderdale/Tasmania (VFL)
Skinny inside/outside player, won div 2 award for best player and has played senior footy for the Tassie VFL side.
PROS: - Tough, Inside/Outside, ball magnet, Clearance work, Good pace, Good skills both sides, Burst of speed,
CONS: - none to note
PREDICTION: 5 - 20"

"foj1:: 16. Mitch Robinson 188cm 87kg TAS
Super athletic with a very penetrating right foot. I originally didn’t rate this guy so high but his carnival has propelled him way up the charts. I am much more happy with the way he attacks the footy now as I thought he was a little outside waiting to use his strong foot skills. Robinson has a good burst of speed and looks like he will have an AFL tank with more development."

"ant555: Mitch Robinson – 188cm, 77kg – Lauderdale – Tasmania.
Tall skinny winger/midfielder who had a great Champ series. Found a heap of the ball both in close and as the link player. Reads the clearances well and has good pace. Good skills and good hands in close. Can take a nice mark and works hard all day. Not afraid to put his body on the line. Nice long right foot kick. Right side is ok to get him out of trouble but not great.
One downside to his game is his kicking under real pressure can be a little suspect.
Has played V.F.L footy.
Prediction - pick 8 to 25."

"Jason McCartney: Mitch Robinson - He was one I hadn't seen or heard much of until today, but he played off the wing and half-back and won 21 possessions. His athleticism, the way he found space all day, his run-and-carry and the way he used the ball impressed me. I didn't see much of him the other day, but he bobbed up against the Northern Territory."

"rizzo: Mitch Robinson-77kg - 188cm - 07.06.1989
Prolific ball winner who player both inside and outside. Love his height, a perfect size for a tallish midfielder. The best thing about him is that he is reliable. He very rarely plays a bad game. Always is up there and his disposal is pretty good. His ability to get the ball himself or sit out the back of the backs is also a bonus.
Skills - Disposal, Consistency, Running"

"Quigley: Robinson – the other player from Tasmania who should definitely be picked up in the draft. He is a bit of a poor man’s Cale Morton – he is a tall thin outside player who runs well, reads the play well and is a key link man who his team mates look to use him at every opportunity. He takes good options and his disposal is amongst the best of the Div 2 players. He makes his disposals count. He is a nice mark, has good pace and is good under pressure."

"Quigley: Mitch Robinson (DOB – 7/6/89, Ht – 188, Wt – 77)
Overaged player who has come from nowhere before the Champs to be a virtually certain first round pick. He lead all players in disposals in the second stage of the Champs with 110 disposals across the 5 games and was second in contested possessions. He was Tasmania’s best player throughout the Champs. In the Div 2 Champs he played mostly an outside role but did more inside work when the Div 1 side of things rolled around. He reminds me quite a bit Cale Morton – he is a tall thin mainly outside player who runs well, reads the play well and is a key link man who his team mates look to use him at every opportunity. He has excellent vision and the options he takes are usually first class. His disposal is pretty good although when combined with his vision and option taking and a good feel for weighting his kicks it often appears very good indeed. He is a player who makes his disposals count and has definite hurt factor. Pace wise he seems good although not exceptional and during the Champs he went all day and kept racking them up indicating a good motor. He can take a good contested mark and is a persistent tackler who will follow up and crunched a few guys who got near him in the Champs. In the Vic Country game he was matched up on Zeibell for a while and I thought he had the better of Zeilbell all things considered. I think he will start on the wing in the AFL but with his ability to read the ball off hands and his quick hands in close I think he could spend his fair share of time in the square as he develops. His age might count against him a little but teams will factor in that he has only been in the system this year and the massive improvement he has shown might well indicate that there is a bit more developing to go yet. At his age I would expect him to play next year. He needs to bulk up a bit but he is quite strong."

Check out his highlights and a short comment on him from Hughes here http://bigpondvideo.com/AFL/. Go to Carlton TV and then CFC TV: Robinson in Action.

I'll admit I'm a novice when it comes to recruiting so bear that in mind when I say that if six months ago someone showed me that video and said this guy was the next number 1 pick I'd accept that. He looks like a genuine gun and I think he's going to make a lot of people look very foolish next year.

I am absolutely stoked that we've got Robbo. This guy can play and it shocks the hell out of me that he went to 40. 40! Talk about trengrove being a steal well Robbo at 40 is one they'll be talking about after armaggedon.

This lad will play next year. His development in the last 18 months has been outstanding. He has that bit of "s**t" is his game that you like to see.
An absolute steal at pick 40.

This lad will play next year. His development in the last 18 months has been outstanding. He has that bit of "s**t" is his game that you like to see.
An absolute steal at pick 40.
Spot on.

That's why I see a bit of McKay in Mitch.

He hits the player hard when he tackles and tries to make them feel it. :cool:

There is no reason why Robbo can't play senior football in 2009, and a fair bit of it, too.

He needs to put on some weight and fill out before he becomes a consistent performer at the highest level, but his desire to get the football and stop his man from getting it will be enough to see him through some games.

Robbo is already 19 and has the advantage of having played football against players older than himself through the VFL.

He has a slightly unusual kicking action but gets great penetration on his disposal by foot and he's usually pretty accurate. His ferocity at the ball is really good to watch and I have no doubt that he could prove to be a leadership option in the future. His tackling looks to be a feature of his game and we can always do with some more toughness at the ball and at the man.

Look for him to play 5-10 games in season 2009.

First interview with the new draftees here http://bigpondvideo.com/AFL/93004

Mitch speaks very well.
I've actually acquainted with the guy (a first that I know a player from my favourite AFL team), although it was back in 2002 through high school, it would be polite of me to say he's very self-confident, but he was still always good for a laugh.:)
Nevertheless, most importantly he's obviously a very good football player and one here was rapt that we got him with pick 40.:) May very well push for senior selection for round 1.
Welcome to Carlton Mitchy.:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love that he isnt one sided, happy to throw it on the left when in trouble. Brilliant the way he attacks the ball carrier and isnt afraid to run the lines and break play open, a real bargain at pick 40.

Good to know that the guy we were gunna take with 24 was still the at 40. ratts thought our odds were 100 to 1 in getting these players. Things are looking very good.

He does:thumbsu:

Rhys O'keeffe favourite 2 words are "yeah" and "umm"

With minimal private tutoring he should be able to turn that "umm" into a "nah". Here's hoping, it could be the sort of platform to build a solid career on.

The Mercury - Tassie's quality AFL quartet

After winning the Hunter Harrison Medal for the best player in the national championships division two, and having the most possessions in division one, Robinson was widely touted to be the state's top pick.

But instead he had to wait until Carlton selected him with pick 40, with 17-year-old Jones earning the honour of Tasmania's top pick at 32 by the Western Bulldogs, while Cornelius will join McCulloch in Brisbane.

"They (AFL recruiters) are all poker players these blokes, it is very hard to know," Probert said.

"Maybe it's a little surprise Mitchell stayed as late as 40 but it has actually been a fantastic result for Mitch.

"Carlton is a team on the up. It is not exactly scientific but I can visualise him coming off the half-back flank for Carlton. He is a good player and can complement the team they have."

The man himself said he was getting a little toey as the selections came and went without hearing his name.

"I was getting a bit nervous," Robinson, 19, said.

"I didn't know where I was going because the clubs who were interested didn't pick me. I just had to play the waiting game and it was pretty nerve-racking.

"Once Carlton said my name, it was the best thing that has happened to me."

After spending the majority of the season playing with the Devils in the VFL, Robinson said he was confident he could have an impact with the Blues next year.

"Considering the year I've had in the VFL, I've played on a few AFL-listed players and I feel I can match it with them," he said.

"If I can play NAB Cup, I can prove I can play AFL I guess, so that is the first stepping stone to show Carlton that I can have an impact on the team."
Robinson is a chance to better Armfield's debut season when he's another overage recruit with senior experience playing against men.

Mitch could surprise a few pundits like Dalziell and step up if Hadley's body doesn't stand up to AFL football.

A shame we lack the midfield and depth of a Richmond to keep a player like Robinson out of our 22...

Listening to Ratts interview he said we rated him at 9. If we had pick 9 and he was there we would of taken him. Just can't speak of how highly this kid is and will become.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back