Traded Mitch McGovern [traded to Carlton in a three-way trade involving Sydney and McAdam]

Remove this Banner Ad

FFS CROWS FANS, WE KNOW!!!

We know his contracted for 2 years. We know Adelaide hold the advantages here.

But don't go acting like you have any knowledge of the inner sanctum. Don't say that there is a healthy relationship between Mitch and the club, because we all well and truly know that can't be the case. Something must have changed during these 12 months to have seen Gov wanting out and wanting further away from home.

Now before you go on saying it's 'money', think again. Us Carlton fans don't bloody know either. But the clearest of word having come out being that if it was money Gov's after, then he would've moved home on bigger dollars last year. Why would he all of a sudden be money-hungry now? There's clearly more to it than we all think.

We all can only attempt to join the dots. And my attempt says that Adelaide have clearly done something wrong to disappoint him. He has requested a trade, FACT. Further from home, FACT. To the bottom of the ladder club, FACT.

Funny how Carlton were scrutinised for demanding for overs, when Gibbs was 1) One of Carlton's only valuable assets at the time and 2) One of the club's most highly respected men. To the few who had said here that he was disappointed in Carlton for not trading him at first: You couldn't be anymore wrong. Even you supporters have witness how freaking professional this guy speaks. Probably one of the more level-headed players out there at the moment. Throughout last year, Gibbs has stated that and he performed no worse in 2017 than he did in any other season with the club. And even at Adelaide I've heard him mention how much Carlton have meant for him.

Did SOS say no to trading Gibbs? NO!!! He simply put a very high price on him because Carlton saw how he important he was. He meant more to Carlton than Adelaide. Simple as that. SOS should be applauded for doing this, because right now people are having a F***ing go at Carlton for simply having traded him. Morons like Kane Cornes were spitting on him at first for having not traded him for anything less than what was demanded. If SOS was an arseh*le, he would have denied Gibbs' request altogether. Gibbs would've well and truly known how high he was valued by his Carlton family. The only thing he would've been upset with, was the trade not going through. That ain't our fault, that's Adelaide's.

If any crows supporter out there was whinging about SOS's approach yet considered the decision to trade Gibbs as a reason for Carlton not deserving a priority pick, then you need a freaking lobotomy. There is no way in hell you can have both. (Didn't get a PP anyway).

Now back to the Gov situation. I mean sure crows fans, look at it in black and white. Look at it like the brain-dead media. 'Wah, wah! He is contracted so pay overs'. But just remember this. The line will be drawn somewhere. Any step over it will surely ruin the reputation of your club, especially after all the negative attention it has received throughout this year. Players may not consider coming to your club. Further players may want out moving forward.

Now I don't know much about M.McGovern compared to most other players in the league. And I honestly don't know how he will act if a trade isn't facilitated. But I've seen bits and pieces of his game to know that I don't rate him very highly. I personally see more excitement from C.Curnow and McKay. SOS however rates him, and was believed to have eyes on him for quite some time. Based on output I only have Mitch around an early to mid second-round pick. But I'd be willing to give up 24 and first dibs on a player like McAdam (a small and speedy mature-aged SA forward, who I believe is both a need and will play well for Adelaide moving forward. Especially given the ageing Betts and no more Cameron). If anything more was demanded, then I'd probably will leave that trade deal to last. If still a fail, then Adelaide will have given themselves a lot of work to do.

Keep saying 'pay up or he stays', but don't pretend to not consider the circumstances of McGovern's request. They're not what you expect them to be. Whether it was the camp, the contract or something else, he has changed his mind after less than twelve months. This is the trade that could potentially put the club's image on the line.

Despite what you, I, SOS or what anybody else thinks. Carlton will certainly not go out losers here. Blues had a good reason for their price and Adelaide eventually folded the following year believing Gibbs was their missing piece to a premiership puzzle. Adelaide doing this will only lead me towards seeing them possibly being 'unprofessional'. This is a player that hasn't made much of a statement and in terms of output, is on the edge of the crows 22.

It's an apple and an orange here. Adelaide will be playing with fire. Don't expect SOS to bend over like Reid did because that is not going to happen in any way. More than his worth might be paid, but Carlton have other trades to deal with. More likely than not, blues will happily leave the crows to fix what they themselves break.
TLDR

I'm quoting his value.
To you personally.

Ricciuto has valued Gov as a top 10 pick, which is more relevant.

If SOS doesn't value him the same, then it will be like Gibbs round 1.

Last edited:
Pick 24 and a state league pp should do it.
Contracted players are probably worth 5-10 picks more than uncontracted. That means if Gov was out of contract he’s worth 30-35. That’s madness. Forget the State player bit, we could get one for pick 50+.

I’d prefer to keep him at any price anyway and turn him around. The main problem, Brett Burton, will be sidelined next year then sacked after his contract expires so it shouldn’t be a problem.

To you personally.

Ricciuto has valued Gov as a top 10 pick, which is more relevant.

If SOS doesn't value him the same, then it will by like Gibbs round 1.

How is it like Gibbs.
When Gibbs wasn't traded he spent another 12 months in Melb with his partner.
If McGovern isn't traded he gets to spend 12 months in Adelaide while his partner is in Melb.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How is it like Gibbs.
When Gibbs wasn't traded he spent another 12 months in Melb with his partner.
If McGovern isn't traded he gets to spend 12 months in Adelaide while his partner is in Melb.
It will will be like Gibbs year 1 if the clubs can't agree.

The Gibbs had to spend another year away from their parents to help with their young kid, so I'm sure Gov's girlfriend can cope studying away... or his manager can look to another Melbourne club or Gold Coast where the course is also available.

It will will be like Gibbs year 1 if the clubs can't agree.

The Gibbs had to spend another year away from their parents to help with their young kid, so I'm sure Gov's girlfriend can cope studying away... or his manager can look to another Melbourne club or Gold Coast where the course is also available.

Not being in the same city as your parents and not being in the same city as your partner not even close to the same thing.
Just creating a very unhappy player. Will not matter who blames who for the non trade he'll still be unhappy and creating disharmony.

Adelaide has a contract, Carlton has offered a contract..... Carlton’s problem

If there's no trade then it becomes the Crows problem on how make him happy while he's in Adelaide and his partner is in Melb.
So if you play hardball and force a stalemate so he stays good luck trying to sort that out.

It is impossible for you to get all the players your linked to, without surrendering #1 next year as a minimum .....am I saying McGovern is worth next years 1st ....no I'm not, just that you can't hold it

The only other option is a player for player trade

Next years first would only go on Shiel I think. Unless there is some other a grader we are linked to?

If there's no trade then it becomes the Crows problem on how make him happy while he's in Adelaide and his partner is in Melb.
So if you play hardball and force a stalemate so he stays good luck trying to sort that out.

If he doesn’t play afl and sits in the reserves then the pay is not as good. I think players have KPI’s in the contracts for certain amount of AFL games. If he plays SANFL then the contract offer the following year will most likely be lower than this year also. If he wants to lose money then that is his choice or he mans up and plays a great year like Bryce did to ensure the contract price probably stayed the same. No problem for Adelaide

Not being in the same city as your parents and not being in the same city as your partner not even close to the same thing.
Just creating a very unhappy player. Will not matter who blames who for the non trade he'll still be unhappy and creating disharmony.
Well he can join her & give up $550K pa if a trade can't be done... & if it's a major concern to him.

Pressure on his manager to get a deal done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back