Mid Season Report

Remove this Banner Ad

May 29, 2007
australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Alvie FC
Through one round of competition and it looks as if the top five may be settled.
Irrewarra have been outstanding all year with only the one defeat on a wet day at the hands of Birregurra who have also been prominent this year. We thought it pre season and half way through it seems we were correct in our predictions of Birregurra as the big movers this year. There firepower up forward in jacob mason and matthew whelan has been difficult for opposing sides to stop and defence has been solid, conceding only 715 points through 10 matches. Adam Wilkinson has his men up and firing and no doubt that they will be dangerous come finals time. The other danger to Irrewarra is Alvie who, like Birregurra, have the goalkicking power to kick big scores and their pace should suit on the big ground on the central reserve. Josh Goonan, Tom McCrickard, Christian Kelly and Paul Cass have all shown that they are able to kick multiple goals and Joel Flanagan and Andrew Kelly have been very good all year in the midfield. Under seventeens Ben Lynch, Liam McGuane and kEIRAN mAWSON have all cemented regular spots and their young legs will be hard to stop on the big ground. Lorne and Forrest have both shown glimpses of good form throughout the year and Forrest are yet to hit their straps. The departure of David Timms may hurt them but they have enough targets up forward to counter that with Ben Hood and Andrew Hill being able to kick forrest a competitive total. Big Saltimacchia has been a handy recruit and leak has been plagued by injury. Lorne have a quick young side and the reigning premiers have enough class to prove dangerous in September. Blokes like Tully and Alford are all class with Lee Hollmer a proven star. Jack Hollmer is a handy in when available and they will not be pushes aside easily when crunch time comes. Early losses to sides they shouldnt have lost to like South Coalc has hurt Apollo Bay and they may pay the price because of it, being two games and percentage out of finals contention, their hardness at the football will ensure that they will make the most of the oppurtunities afforded to them and if they squeeze in, could be a wildcard. So where does that leave us? Irrewarra have been the bench mark all year and their main strength may be their many avenues to goal with five players all booting over 20 goals this year. Their supporters are licking their lips at the prospect of winning a premiership, something they are not familiar with in recent years and Dan Casey, it seems, already believes that they are over the line. With $90 000 worth of spending you would hope they would win it and they may well do that but the whole competition is waiting for a slip up and a couple of injuries brings them right back to the pack.

Alvie 2ND-8 WINS 2 LOSSES
DANGER MAN: Tom McCrickard-impossible to match up on and his athletic ability will ensure he enjoys the open ecspances of the central reserve
Apollo Bay 6th-5 wins 5 losses
Danger Man: Damien O'Connor. Probably the form player of the year and his ball winning ability means lots of votes. Could be leading the league best and fairest.
Forrest 4th- 7 WINS 3 LOSSES
Danger Man: Jason Rathje. Getting on but still playing well enough to be a handful for opposition sides.
Irrewarra Beeac 1st- 9 wins 1 loss
Danger Man: Khan Beckett. Big name signing on $700 a game and his prolific kicking ability sets up many forwards with goal kicking opportunities and he has been able to kick plenty himself.
Lorne 5th-7 Wins 3 Losses
Danger Man: Casey Tully. Premiership player who is in the elite bracket of colac and district midfielder's.
Birregurra 3rd- 8 wins 2 losses
Danger Man: Jacob Mason. Has been the recruit of the year and together with Mark Whelan, holds the key to the Birregurra forward line. Top notch player.

PREDICTIONS
Premiership: Alvie
BEST ON IN FINAL:
Joel Flanagan
Runners Up: Birregurra

League Best and fairest: Damien O'Connor
Goal kicking: Mark Whelan

IRREWARRA? To choke...again. Wrong bloke in charge and would love to see them bomb out come finals, maybe im going with my heart rather than my head but i reckon the others may be a bit tougher

4th- Lorne
5th- Forrest

Re: Mid Seson Report

Through one round of competition and it looks as if the top five may be settled.
Irrewarra have been outstanding all year with only the one defeat on a wet day at the hands of Birregurra who have also been prominent this year. We thought it pre season and half way through it seems we were correct in our predictions of Birregurra as the big movers this year. There firepower up forward in jacob mason and matthew whelan has been difficult for opposing sides to stop and defence has been solid, conceding only 715 points through 10 matches. Adam Wilkinson has his men up and firing and no doubt that they will be dangerous come finals time. The other danger to Irrewarra is Alvie who, like Birregurra, have the goalkicking power to kick big scores and their pace should suit on the big ground on the central reserve. Josh Goonan, Tom McCrickard, Christian Kelly and Paul Cass have all shown that they are able to kick multiple goals and Joel Flanagan and Andrew Kelly have been very good all year in the midfield. Under seventeens Ben Lynch, Liam McGuane and kEIRAN mAWSON have all cemented regular spots and their young legs will be hard to stop on the big ground. Lorne and Forrest have both shown glimpses of good form throughout the year and Forrest are yet to hit their straps. The departure of David Timms may hurt them but they have enough targets up forward to counter that with Ben Hood and Andrew Hill being able to kick forrest a competitive total. Big Saltimacchia has been a handy recruit and leak has been plagued by injury. Lorne have a quick young side and the reigning premiers have enough class to prove dangerous in September. Blokes like Tully and Alford are all class with Lee Hollmer a proven star. Jack Hollmer is a handy in when available and they will not be pushes aside easily when crunch time comes. Early losses to sides they shouldnt have lost to like South Coalc has hurt Apollo Bay and they may pay the price because of it, being two games and percentage out of finals contention, their hardness at the football will ensure that they will make the most of the oppurtunities afforded to them and if they squeeze in, could be a wildcard. So where does that leave us? Irrewarra have been the bench mark all year and their main strength may be their many avenues to goal with five players all booting over 20 goals this year. Their supporters are licking their lips at the prospect of winning a premiership, something they are not familiar with in recent years and Dan Casey, it seems, already believes that they are over the line. With $90 000 worth of spending you would hope they would win it and they may well do that but the whole competition is waiting for a slip up and a couple of injuries brings them right back to the pack.

DANGER MAN: Tom McCrickard-impossible to match up on and his athletic ability will ensure he enjoys the open ecspances of the central reserve

Danger Man: Damien O'Connor. Probably the form player of the year and his ball winning ability means lots of votes. Could be leading the league best and fairest.

Danger Man: Jason Rathje. Getting on but still playing well enough to be a handful for opposition sides.

Danger Man: Khan Beckett. Big name signing on $700 a game and his prolific kicking ability sets up many forwards with goal kicking opportunities and he has been able to kick plenty himself.

Danger Man: Casey Tully. Premiership player who is in the elite bracket of colac and district midfielder's.

Danger Man: Jacob Mason. Has been the recruit of the year and together with Mark Whelan, holds the key to the Birregurra forward line. Top notch player.​

PREDICTIONS

BEST ON IN FINAL: Joel Flanagan

Runners Up: Birregurra​

Goal kicking: Mark Whelan​

IRREWARRA? To choke...again. Wrong bloke in charge and would love to see them bomb out come finals, maybe im going with my heart rather than my head but i reckon the others may be a bit tougher

4th- Lorne

5th- Forrest​

Thats so obvious.......what a sore loser you are!
So what if players get paid.......get with it pal, right or wrong it has been happening for years.
If clubs can substantiate it, good luck to them......if they win a flag because of it and continue on as a club to fight another day, all good for me!
If they lose like many do, well that can happen too!

You must feel good naming blokes and what they supposedly get......doesnt your club pay players....if so name a few and what they get!

Your hate for IB is so obvious, and thats fair enough, but your posts carry so much bias it is laughable!

......and what facts do you have to say that IB have the wrong man leading them.....he ain't doing a bad job so far!

Cheers mate!

Enjoy dropping by to read your **** however!

So what if players get paid.......get with it pal, right or wrong it has been happening for years.
If clubs can substantiate it, good luck to them......if they win a flag because of it and continue on as a club to fight another day, all good for me!

You must feel good naming blokes and what they supposedly get......doesnt your club pay players....if so name a few and what they get!

Your hate for IB is so obvious, and thats fair enough, but your posts carry so much bias it is laughable!

......and what facts do you have to say that IB have the wrong man leading them.....he ain't doing a bad job so far!

Cheers mate!

Enjoy dropping by to read your shite however!
when a club is short favourite to win a flag, you need guidance and experiance and casey is not that bloke. sure he may be a good footballer (when ther eis no one coming from behind) but saying things in the paper such "we have 12-13 players in our reserves who would get a game at any other club" and another example when they beat south colac by 130 points and he says that they could play way better, what happened next week? got rolled. I dont know, maybe he is the man for the job but big statements like such these only create more pressure and as it mounts up, built by the supporters mainly, the players begin to feel it and with every other club out there trying to beat them, it makes it difficult. They probably will win it, and good on them but it is my opinion, and only my opinion, that they will not.

Danger Man: Jacob Mason. Has been the recruit of the year and together with Mark Whelan, holds the key to the Birregurra forward line. Top notch player.

PREDICTIONS
BEST ON IN FINAL:
Joel Flanagan
Runners Up: Birregurra

Goal kicking: Mark Whelan

4th- Lorne
5th- Forrest
i think that you have underestimated apollo bay as you continually do. Once Hinkley returns things will be ok and they will win a few games. I think he can still win the goal kicking if he comes back soon. he is the best player in the comp for a reason

Cheers mate!

Enjoy dropping by to read your shite however!
Your hate for boom crash opera is obvious. Your posts carry so much bias based on this hatred it is laughable. If this post was not written by Boom, i bet that u would not have voiced your disaproval.
Boom is merely stating that Irrawarra spend ALOT more money on player payments then any other club in the competition to ensure they have the best possible playing list.
Although i do believe that u merely search these threads for posts that paint Dan Casey in a negative light so that you can go in to bat for him, therfore this biased posting against boom must surely be based on the fact that he is mostly the main instigator of these posts

Fair enough report Boom, though it does show through that you are an Alvie man, but I am sure I post with bias towards Birre as well.

Well done on taking the time to put it together, I will try to post some more information about where the competition is at with everyone having played each other now.

i think that you have underestimated apollo bay as you continually do. Once Hinkley returns things will be ok and they will win a few games. I think he can still win the goal kicking if he comes back soon. he is the best player in the comp for a reason

I personally think that the Bay are going to be very dangerous at the back end of the season, that teamed with the rumours that Lorne have the wallet open still could make for a mad rush for position at the end of the season.

Without looking too closely at the draw I know that Birre have the other 5 sides in the top 6 in the run home, so will have an opportunity to really prove that they are the real deal in the run home.

Your hate for boom crash opera is obvious. Your posts carry so much bias based on this hatred it is laughable. If this post was not written by Boom, i bet that u would not have voiced your disaproval.
Boom is merely stating that Irrawarra spend ALOT more money on player payments then any other club in the competition to ensure they have the best possible playing list.
Although i do believe that u merely search these threads for posts that paint Dan Casey in a negative light so that you can go in to bat for him, therfore this biased posting against boom must surely be based on the fact that he is mostly the main instigator of these posts
Hate!.....pretty strong word, especially when I do not even no the guy.

Yes I know Dan Casey, and know him well, but to say I hate 'Boom', based on what you read......well hello Mr B-Hawk mindreader!

We disagree on where we place Dan in some degrees of his football.....and what is wrong with batting for a mate!

I know other blokes from that way also, and follow their progress on this forum & CDFL website......is that a crime mate.

Good on Boom for generating discussion, but we don't all have to agree and hang off every word he types!

He certainly doesnt agree with other posters......which is fine!

I also post in Western Border, Mininera (my league) & Lexton.....all I have connections with!

And good on IB for having a crack....if they spend up and get the chocolates good luck to them!

And for your info Hawky I have posted and responded to others on this board!

Yes I know Dan Casey, and know him well, but to say I hate 'Boom', based on what you read......well hello Mr B-Hawk mindreader!

We disagree on where we place Dan in some degrees of his football.....and what is wrong with batting for a mate!

I know other blokes from that way also, and follow their progress on this forum & CDFL website......is that a crime mate.

Good on Boom for generating discussion, but we don't all have to agree and hang off every word he types!

I also post in Western Border, Mininera (my league) & Lexton.....all I have connections with!

And good on IB for having a crack....if they spend up and get the chocolates good luck to them!

i do not expect you to hang off every word i type. im purely stating my view on where the league is at. We do not agree on dan casey but i admit he can play football. i sorry if i offended you in any way but im just writing my opinion and that is all it is.

Fair enough report Boom, though it does show through that you are an Alvie man, but I am sure I post with bias towards Birre as well.

Well done on taking the time to put it together, I will try to post some more information about where the competition is at with everyone having played each other now.
maybe i write more about alvie because i know more, i have only seen each of the other sides play once so i do not know as much about them. as for my flag prediction, as they are second on the ladder i do not believe that it is stupid tipping them to win the flag.

i do not expect you to hang off every word i type. im puring stating my view on where the league is at. We do not agree on dan casey but i admit he can play football. i sorry if i offended you in any way but im just writing my opinion and that is all it is.
Takes more than your posts to affend me boom!
Don't be sorry mate, your only backing away from your thoughts if your sorry!
Your opinions are fine, but somethings I disagree with, and this is what this forum is about.....opinions and discussions!
I don't and will not hang off every word you type, but I will always drop over to see what is happening here and what you have to say!

Cheers:thumbsu:

I read at the start of this thread supposedly Irrewarra are paying up around $90k for player payments a year. How would they find that sort of money and does any one know a break down on what that would be and who's getting what? It's alot of money for no reward if they lose, as boom has predicted

I read at the start of this thread supposedly Irrewarra are paying up around $90k for player payments a year. How would they find that sort of money and does any one know a break down on what that would be and who's getting what? It's alot of money for no reward if they lose, as boom has predicted
yeah i know that beckett is on $700 a game ($14 000) and Brad Maloney is on $400 a week ($8 000) to get them fit and play reserves. Would love to know what casey is on, would imagine it would be upwards of $700, possibly 8 or 900 a game. It works out to be about 5 grand per week on player payments alone providing they do not play finals. It is a big risk and the money comes from the businessman out there like Vickers and rogers and hillmans. Lifelong blokes out there splash the cash around abit and they have a huge support base meaning alot in membership, club functions, gate money and raffles etc. As you say, it is a big risk for no reward if they lose, but what is the reward if they win? they get nothing back but some medallions and i believe there is no reward off the league or anything if they win the flag is there?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeah i know that beckett is on $700 a game ($14 000) and Brad Maloney is on $400 a week ($8 000) to get them fit and play reserves. Would love to know what casey is on, would imagine it would be upwards of $700, possibly 8 or 900 a game. It works out to be about 5 grand per week on player payments alone providing they do not play finals. It is a big risk and the money comes from the businessman out there like Vickers and rogers and hillmans. Lifelong blokes out there splash the cash around abit and they have a huge support base meaning alot in membership, club functions, gate money and raffles etc. As you say, it is a big risk for no reward if they lose, but what is the reward if they win? they get nothing back but some medallions and i believe there is no reward off the league or anything if they win the flag is there?

look i think that alvie will win the flag with some help from a well known senior player nicknamed "bucks" who on debut kicked a goal. with that form alvie is sure to win the flag.

look i think that alvie will win the flag with some help from a well known senior player nicknamed "bucks" who on debut kicked a goal. with that form alvie is sure to win the flag.

warra will definetly choke again. no doubt about it. the "male nurse" as he is known is not a very good forward and with the monkeys short temper they dont have any key forwards. most of the goals that warra have kicked have come from midfielders because there forwards cant kick. unlike Alvie who have dominant forwards and crumbers who can take a mark and kick any goal.

Morning all, long time reader, first time poster. Therefore I thought I'd start with a scandalous rumour...... My sources are that Casey is on $25K for the year, and possibly extra bonuses for flag. Not bad work if you can get it! As for warra buying a flag, good on 'em if it comes off. However would love to see the beads of sweat on Casey forehead if he is in fact in the GF and down at 3 qtr time. If they don't produce with this list, his coaching credentials surely must be questioned.

Dry day warra are almost unbeatable, wet day and Birre, Alvie, Lorne and Bay are a chance depends on who makes it. Forrest are good but not in the wet. Would be interesting to see warra v forrest in the wet as I think both struggle in it.

Morning all, long time reader, first time poster. Therefore I thought I'd start with a scandalous rumour...... My sources are that Casey is on $25K for the year, and possibly extra bonuses for flag. Not bad work if you can get it! As for warra buying a flag, good on 'em if it comes off. However would love to see the beads of sweat on Casey forehead if he is in fact in the GF and down at 3 qtr time. If they don't produce with this list, his coaching credentials surely must be questioned.

Dry day warra are almost unbeatable, wet day and Birre, Alvie, Lorne and Bay are a chance depends on who makes it. Forrest are good but not in the wet. Would be interesting to see warra v forrest in the wet as I think both struggle in it.
quality post:thumbsu: welcome to bigfooty:thumbsu:

warra will definetly choke again. no doubt about it. the "male nurse" as he is known is not a very good forward and with the monkeys short temper they dont have any key forwards. most of the goals that warra have kicked have come from midfielders because there forwards cant kick. unlike Alvie who have dominant forwards and crumbers who can take a mark and kick any goal.
what a stupid post

i am no mindreader bloods, just in case you were wondering. As you said there is nothing wrong with goin in to bat for a mate, which is what a was doing for boom. Although I do believe that you are one of the more intelligent posters on this board and you do not post dribble like the many newbies poisoning our threads.
Keep up the good work

i am no mindreader bloods, just in case you were wondering. As you said there is nothing wrong with goin in to bat for a mate, which is what a was doing for boom. Although I do believe that you are one of the more intelligent posters on this board and you do not post dribble like the many newbies poisoning our threads.
Keep up the good work
Cheers Hawk!:thumbsu:

I come on to bigfooty about one every two weeks or so and catch up on what you blokes have been saying and reply to some of them. coming back on this week i have never seen so much stuff posted

for starters the above quote is the most stupidest idiotic thing i have ever read in my life!!! if you dont know what you are talking about (which you obviously dont) then dont post anything about it. every other poster on this board know what warra have plenty of key forwards, and that a lot of their goals do NOT come from the midfeild

as for booms half year report, very impressive. you have got to great extent to produce such a accurate report on all the clubs. i do agree with bloods though on what you have said about warra but your opinion is yours and mine is mine

Bloods, you are producing some quality comments to this board and i hope that you keep it up, i enjoy reading you comments and i agree with what you have said about warra/casey. and boom you may be correct i would also like it is casey had a bit more experience under his belt come to finals time, but i think he has got the team working well and they will have a fair crack. and would have to be strong faviourites if it is not wet.

as for the money spent on players it is all speculation how much each player gets and not one of you can tell me that you know 100% that this player is getting that much. most of you have just heard from another person who probably heard from another person and things may have been over exaggerated (or under exaggerated) i do not know for sure myself. and to say that money comes from Victers, Hillman and Rogers is just silly, they would not be investing that amount of money (90K) as yous say into the club. i know all them blokes asuming you are talking about the most senior of each other those last names and none of them would have that much money to spare to put towards the club.

anyways that pretty much sums it up from another week of two. but i would just like to finish with newbies that have no idea GO AWAY!!! only post if you have half an idea what you are talking about[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

I come on to bigfooty about one every two weeks or so and catch up on what you blokes have been saying and reply to some of them. coming back on this week i have never seen so much stuff posted

for starters the above quote is the most stupidest idiotic thing i have ever read in my life!!! if you dont know what you are talking about (which you obviously dont) then dont post anything about it. every other poster on this board know what warra have plenty of key forwards, and that a lot of their goals do NOT come from the midfeild

as for booms half year report, very impressive. you have got to great extent to produce such a accurate report on all the clubs. i do agree with bloods though on what you have said about warra but your opinion is yours and mine is mine

Bloods, you are producing some quality comments to this board and i hope that you keep it up, i enjoy reading you comments and i agree with what you have said about warra/casey. and boom you may be correct i would also like it is casey had a bit more experience under his belt come to finals time, but i think he has got the team working well and they will have a fair crack. and would have to be strong faviourites if it is not wet.

as for the money spent on players it is all speculation how much each player gets and not one of you can tell me that you know 100% that this player is getting that much. most of you have just heard from another person who probably heard from another person and things may have been over exaggerated (or under exaggerated) i do not know for sure myself. and to say that money comes from Victers, Hillman and Rogers is just silly, they would not be investing that amount of money (90K) as yous say into the club. i know all them blokes asuming you are talking about the most senior of each other those last names and none of them would have that much money to spare to put towards the club.

anyways that pretty much sums it up from another week of two. but i would just like to finish with newbies that have no idea GO AWAY!!! only post if you have half an idea what you are talking about
add tim gore to the list of investors

Instead of raffling chooks, they raffle geese!lol

It is a lot of money (if in fact that amount is correct.....it may have grown a little per each mouth it has passed through though).....but you would hope that the hierachy of IB has it all sorted out.

You would not like to put your name to that as a Pres, Sec, Tres or committee member, if it brought you club to its knees, win lose or draw!

Sustainability is the first and upmost important thing with country football/netball clubs.......and you would hope once the sums are done, then the $$$$$ spent on players is equal to surviving!

If some clubs have generous benefactors over and above the clubs money generating ability......well good luck to them!

Instead of raffling chooks, they raffle geese!lol

It is a lot of money (if in fact that amount is correct.....it may have grown a little per each mouth it has passed through though).....but you would hope that the hierachy of IB has it all sorted out.

You would not like to put your name to that as a Pres, Sec, Tres or committee member, if it brought you club to its knees, win lose or draw!

Sustainability is the first and upmost important thing with country football/netball clubs.......and you would hope once the sums are done, then the $$$$$ spent on players is equal to surviving!

If some clubs have generous benefactors over and above the clubs money generating ability......well good luck to them!
yeah the problem with this is that they have no good kids playing which is an issue out there. There best kid is brad gore and he is playing reserves. To be honest im not sure whether hes upto it but they need to develope these kids for when the dollar suckers leave. I see they have attempted to fix this by giving a couple of kids a taste in the next couple of weeks but it is an issue they need to look at.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back