Player Watch Mid-Season Pick #13 (2021) - Jed McEntee

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it's time to pose the question. Is Jed McEntee entering the conversation for our worst AFL listed player ever?

At this point I'd rather drag the corpse of Simon Phillips back out than give this spud more chances.
I've been on a personal exile from this thread after a falling out with the JedHeads but I'm going to make a quick cameo in here and second the motion.

I think it's time to pose the question. Is Jed McEntee entering the conversation for our worst AFL listed player ever?

At this point I'd rather drag the corpse of Simon Phillips back out than give this spud more chances.
The things is, you could at least see what they were trying to do with Phillips. Guy had absolute pace to burn. McEntee does not have a single standout attribute at AFL level - below par on size, speed, strength, skill, reading the play, pressure.

In a forward line that struggles to convert territory to goals, he has 5 goals from his last 17 games as a permanent forward. Given the sheer amount of inside 50s we generate, the law of averages would suggest he should have double that number - which itself would still be below par!

Jed was at his defensive best last night with his * checks notes* single tackle.
It's always worth pointing this out. Don't get bogged down arguing the merits of the existence of the purely defensive forward role. Focus your energy on pointing out that Jed isn't even actually any good at being a purely defensive forward.

Would I particularly want Port to sign a Nick Holman or a Lachie Fogarty type to play a defensive forward role for us? No, not really. But at least they ****ing do the role properly.

McEntee is a good midfielder. Not to sure he is up to whatever he is meant to do. I seemed to have lost understanding what he is meant to do. Seemingly along with the entire forward line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From his game this year, has done a total of 3 1%ers. A stat designed to cover the more intagibles.

We just dont understand the genius, apparently.

Have a listen of this lads, be nice if SEN Admin spelt port adelaide correctly

He's talking about him as if he's an out of form Warren Tredrea.

But he had really good trial games! Oh yeah, and that's how we always judged players at Port Adelaide.

Chad was on a hiding to nothing in that interview - because he's not going to tear down his player. At the same time, he didn't have a response that left anyone convinced about his place in the side either. The actions in this case are louder than his words. Fact is that without SPP's injury, McEntee would have remained out of the team.

I disagree that he should have gotten a game ahead of someone like Finlayson, but McEntee is simply a symptom of a much bigger issue at the Club.

Chad Cornes has been a disaster since coming back to the club, it's no surprise his chumbro Charlie has a similar disdain for supporters.

Newsflash Dickheads! We've been right more often than not.

And we will always be here.

From his game this year, has done a total of 3 1%ers. A stat designed to cover the more intagibles.

We just dont understand the genius, apparently.

Ha that’s pathetic. Surely Charleson or Anastopolous are worth a debut.

Jed was a small midfielder with good agility, ok pace, good overall fitness and neat skills. Not the high ceiling of a Sinn but the potential to become a tidy, average, reliable contributor.

Players take time to come good. The higher the ceiling the more chance they get.

The small forward role is tough. Truly skilful players are rare. Those that can also apply defensive pressure are rarer still. Cyril Rioli, considered by many to be an excellent small forward, always had low possession numbers but was high impact.

It was worth taking a chance that Jed could become that reliable, pressure small forward that every time tries to find. Wouldn’t ever have high goals or possessions but could help lock the ball in and chip in with a goal or two. Our current game plan relies on this player.

Unfortunately we just haven’t seen it. Can’t see how Jed has progressed either. His positioning as a crumbing forward seems off and teams seem to be rebounding the ball easily against us. This isn’t solely on him and is a gameplan and coaching issue but does suggest his impact is minimal. His numbers aren’t trending up and he doesn’t seem to be improving his impact week to week. Why we choose to lock him in for three years, I’m not sure as I haven’t seen the progress and don’t think his potential was ever that high, as opposed to a Sinn or Johnson type.

This isn’t on Jed. He seems to work hard, his fitness seems good. Can’t blame him for being drafted, for having a crack and for being selected. I don’t think the ‘worst ever player’ crap is kind, fair or warranted.

However I do think that the coaches need to be held accountable for his selection. And the list managers need to be held accountable for failing to find 3-5 players to fill this team role like most clubs have.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back