MERGE or RELOCATE or DIE

Remove this Banner Ad

Its probably a thread done to death, but I am really curious.

If your team had absolutely no choice but to either merge or relocate or die what would be your preference. No doubt plenty will get on here and say "neither, my team is too strong etc etc". That's not the point here.

But hypothetically, IF your club had to merge with another club OR relocate OR simply cease to exist, what would you prefer? Could you follow a merged club that at least stayed in Victoria? Or could you follow a club that moved to say Tassie, NSW or Qld? Or would you prefer your club to not exist at all?

In order of preference:

1. Move to the VFL (VFA)
2. Relocate
3. Merge (preferably with a Victorian club)
4. Die

In a merger situation, my preferred club for Fitzroy to merge with would have been:
1. Melbourne (preferred name Melbourne Lions) - wearing the Melbourne jumper with a gold Lion logo) and playing out of the MCG
2. Brisbane (Brisbane Lions) - essentially what exists now.
3. North Melbourne (North Melbourne Lions) - (red, blue, gold and white jumper - same colours as the Gold Coast team) playing out of the MCG.

In order of preference:

1. Move to the VFL (VFA)
2. Relocate
4. Die

In a merger situation, my preferred club for Fitzroy to merge with would have been:
1. Melbourne (preferred name Melbourne Lions) - wearing the Melbourne jumper with a gold Lion logo) and playing out of the MCG
3. North Melbourne (North Melbourne Lions) - (red, blue, gold and white jumper - same colours as the Gold Coast team) playing out of the MCG.
I don't remember that being an option.

In order of preference:

1. Move to the VFL (VFA)
2. Relocate
4. Die

I agree with 1 and 4, but would probably swap 2 and 3. Merging and staying in the same state for me has more appeal than relocating. 2 clubs merging of course starts up all the issues that needs to be thrashed out - jumper and name being probably the main two. I think if you could live with getting some sort of compromise on these 2 then merging is preferable.
Of course, we've seen how passionate supporters can be (rightly so) during merger discussions and I think the AFL is not willing to venture down this track again.

I don't remember that being an option.

I made it an option.

The club leaves the AFL, but is still involved in top level Victorian football. All of the Melbourne based AFL clubs were once members of the VFL (VFA). They would be returning to their former competition and can resume their VFL (VFA) records.

For example, if Fitzroy (which still exists in its own right) one day returns to the VFL, it will assume all of Fitzroy's records from 1884-1896.

I agree with 1 and 4, but would probably swap 2 and 3. Merging and staying in the same state for me has more appeal than relocating. 2 clubs merging of course starts up all the issues that needs to be thrashed out - jumper and name being probably the main two. I think if you could live with getting some sort of compromise on these 2 then merging is preferable.

Maybe. If it can be done. Of course a new club will be formed and a new history established. The history of both founding clubs will be essentially ruled off. That won't happen with a relocated club. There's also the danger that any merger can be seen as a takeover, if it is not even and the records of one club superceding the other club's. The AFL example of record-keeping for the Brisbane Bears and Fitzroy is an example

Of course, we've seen how passionate supporters can be (rightly so) during merger discussions and I think the AFL is not willing to venture down this track again.

Hopefully.

So Roylion, having watched your club relocate and go on to win 3 flags as one of the most dominant teams ever, do you feel it was the right decision for the Roy Boys and your supporting of them?

The merger deal on the table at the time with North was little more than a takeover offer it seemed.

Maybe. If it can be done. Of course a new club will be formed and a new history established. The history of both founding clubs will be essentially ruled off. That won't happen with a relocated club. There's also the danger that any merger can be seen as a takeover, if it is not even and the records of one club superceding the other club's. The AFL example of record-keeping for the Brisbane Bears and Fitzroy is an example

Both fair points and definitely take the gloss of any merger no doubt. Judging by other threads I've read, many supporters would not follow a merged team if their team was involved.

Mergers and relocations - difficult emotional times for those involved.

I probably wouldn't mind being relocated to Tasmania. As long as half our home games were in Melbourne.

Other than that merging with another victorian club would be the only other option I wouldn't be too dissapointed with.

Die.

It's just not the same if they relocate or merge. I'd prefer they die and therefore the club has been finalised. Then I would take up watching my local team full time.

I made it an option.

The club leaves the AFL, but is still involved in top level Victorian football. All of the Melbourne based AFL clubs were once members of the VFL (VFA). They would be returning to their former competition and can resume their VFL (VFA) records.

For example, if Fitzroy (which still exists in its own right) one day returns to the VFL, it will assume all of Fitzroy's records from 1884-1896.

In theory it's possible, but the reality is that a club is only going to consider moving to the VFL if their financial situation is so dire it becomes irrecoverable. In which case, they can hardly move to the VFL with millions in debt and expect it to be paid.

They may well fold and then a new club starts up in the VFL using their name, but I gather that's a bit different to moving to the VFL.

Because I'm a Sydney supporter from Melbourne:

1. relocate
2. merge
3. DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Roylion, having watched your club relocate...

My club didn't relocate. Fitzroy's AFL club operations merged with the Brisbane Bears. None of Fitzroy's history is officially included in the new club by the AFL. The Brisbane Lions have three premierships not eleven.

The official bona fide Fitzroy Football Club, that once held an AFL licence, will play in the VAFA in 2009. For the first time since 1996 the Fitzroy Football Club will be represented by its own team on a football playing field.

Having said that...the Brisbane Lions have done a great job in keeping the memory and spirit of Fitzroy alive in the AFL through a variety of measures, which I won't go into. That's why I (and many other Fitzroy supporters) now support them in the AFL.

and go on to win 3 flags as one of the most dominant teams ever, do you feel it was the right decision for the Roy Boys and your supporting of them?

I would have preferred Fitzroy to
1. Move to the VFA
2. Relocate in their own right
before a merger interstate with Brisbane.

I would have also preferred a merger with Melbourne (we came close to doing that in 1986 and 1994) rather than merging interstate, mainly because we rarely get to see the Brisbane Lions play in Victoria (6-7 times a season excluding finals).

The merger deal on the table at the time with North was little more than a takeover offer it seemed.

Yes..and I tended to support a merger with the Bears on the basis that North was the vastly dominant partner and their history and culture would have dominated. However the method of the merger with the Bears left a sour taste for many Fitzroy supporters. A merger with North Melbourne was certainly the elected Fitzroy board's preference.

If we were talking about a merger between the two WA clubs I would rather my club die. Truly a fate worse than death and there's no way I'd support a team that was half eagle. I'd go support another team instead - probably Brisbane.

I'd have to go with relocate as the lesser of three evils. Although if Freo relocated and a new Fremantle club started up I'd be faced with a pretty tough choice.

i would rather my club die than have to relocate or merge. After that i'm not even sure whether i would support one specific club.

The official bona fide Fitzroy Football Club, that once held an AFL licence, will play in the VAFA in 2009. For the first time since 1996 the Fitzroy Football Club will be represented by its own team on a football playing field.

Really?

I didn't know that, that's fantastic!

I'm a Brisbane Lions Boy, but since the merger I, along with many others I suspect, became a fan of the history and culture of Fitzroy, something that probably wouldn't have happened to many people if the merger with Melbourne had gone ahead.

It would have simply been a footnote in Melbournes history.

If I supported a Melbourne based club this order would be different, but as a Swans supporter living in Melbourne this is the order.

1. Relocate (to Melbourne)
2. Relocate (elsewhere)
3. VFL
4. Merge (with Melbourne club)
5. Merge (elsewhere)
6. Die

Judging by other threads I've read, many supporters would not follow a merged team if their team was involved.

Yep, it wouldn't really still be your club would it? I'd definitely prefer to relocate than merge and i'd probably even rather drop back into the VFL than merge too.

Relocate

Merge (with anyone but WC)

Die whilst merging with WC so we take them out with us (hiding 500 million worth of debt until after the merger and bankrupting both clubs in the process :D)

Die quietly

Remove this Banner Ad

Back