Coach Men's Senior Coach: Brad Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

Scott attacked this like he has attacked everything throughout his coaching and playing days, flatly, bluntly. No nuance. Subtle as a brick.

No way you can misconstrue anything he said and it has come off horrifically badly, to the point where I could see the club coming out with a release condemning and distancing themselves. He has no out and he probably doesn't deserve one apart from completely walking it back and apologising.

He may have and probably did meant that the industry needs a support mechanism for not completely shutting the door on those that have acted badly, but time and place and if you can't articulate yourself properly keep your mouth shut ffs.

Ross Lyon also had a similar blunt instrument moment last week when asked about Harley Balic and came off as someone who thought their s**t didn't stink and that it was everyone else's fault.

Last edited:
I think an important thing to consider is the fact that he is an indigenous boy, and that sometimes the culture that First Nations people are brought up in can have difficulty adapting to the western world. There is no excuse for domestic violence. None. However, the license suspension charges and all of the drama that followed it can easily make a young man spiral. I highly doubt he has had good role models either or many of his family members have shown him a path of responsibility and maturity. Look at the common themes here: Tarryn Thomas, Andrew Lovett, Liam Jurrah, Harley Bennell, Tyson Stengle, Chris Yarran, Marlion Pickett to name a few. I think the AFL needs to do a better job with intervening sooner, and providing the appropriate counselling a lot sooner. I think from a psychological point of view, It is much harder for First Nations boys to adapt to the professional lifestyle with all the eyes on them, the level of attention, the temptations considering their heritage. I think if Stengle could do it, so can Thomas. He just needs the right level of counselling, indigenous mentors and routine. He needs to be educated on why he does the things he does, rather than be told "he's a bad apple". But most importantly HE needs to want to be the best human he can be.

I think an important thing to consider is the fact that he is an indigenous boy, and that sometimes the culture that First Nations people are brought up in can have difficulty adapting to the western world. There is no excuse for domestic violence. None. However, the license suspension charges and all of the drama that followed it can easily make a young man spiral. I highly doubt he has had good role models either or many of his family members have shown him a path of responsibility and maturity. Look at the common themes here: Tarryn Thomas, Andrew Lovett, Liam Jurrah, Harley Bennell, Tyson Stengle, Chris Yarran, Marlion Pickett to name a few. I think the AFL needs to do a better job with intervening sooner, and providing the appropriate counselling a lot sooner. I think from a psychological point of view, It is much harder for First Nations boys to adapt to the professional lifestyle with all the eyes on them, the level of attention, the temptations considering their heritage. I think if Stengle could do it, so can Thomas. He just needs the right level of counselling, indigenous mentors and routine. He needs to be educated on why he does the things he does, rather than be told "he's a bad apple". But most importantly HE needs to want to be the best human he can be.
Nope.

Wayne Carey is not indigenous.

I get where you are coming from but I think its a dangerous game to assume all those guys listed are from same background and also to bring it up during a discussion about DV.
There absolutely needs to be a discussion re how clubs and private schools take gifted indigenous kids away from their support group at an early age and dont really put in the off-field work to help them thrive, then just cast them off if things dont work out. But I dont think its the right time to bring it up now as (even though you clarified it isnt the case early in your comment) it can be misconstrued as making excuses for Thomas.

Being Generous to Brad, I have a feeling he has the same line of thinking having more inside info of Thomas' background from a young age. But he really could have worded that better or said nothing at all.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think an important thing to consider is the fact that he is an italian boy, and that sometimes the culture that Italian people are brought up in can have difficulty adapting to the western world
My uncle is Italian and he used to beat my aunt until she divorced his Italian arse, so this checks out

Anyway, I think the nuance that might not have been conveyed is that people from underprivileged backgrounds are more likely to be exposed to s**t like family violence themselves which can lead to an inter generational cycle. First Nations folk include some of the most underprivileged people in the country so it’s not really surprising they might end up over represented in statistics like this.

So it’s not a cultural thing, or a racial issue, it’s one of inequality. You’ll see similar outcomes if you look at very poor white communities too.

Only way I'd want him at Essendon is after a couple of years of genuine repentance, not a few mealy mouthed statements about how he regrets his actions. s**t like doing that respectful relationships course he flunked, volunteering for an anti DV organisation etc

nah he had his chance at North and he completely ****ed it.

some people never learn and this pinhead is great example for it.

Playing AFL is a privilege. You are paid hundreds of thousands to kick a ball. part of the is being a role model. DV should be an auto disqualifier.

Last edited:

Is this just legally? Or did none of his exes say he was violent?
All I’ve seen reference to are text messages threatening his ex’s with violence

Is this just legally? Or did none of his exes say he was violent?

AFAIK he threatened violence in text messages, and to publish intimate images of a partner.

Neither of which are acceptable anyway. But I don't recall any actual allegations of violence?

AFAIK he threatened violence in text messages, and to publish intimate images of a partner.

Neither of which are acceptable anyway. But I don't recall any actual allegations of violence?

"The allegations made against Thomas include one woman’s claim the footballer sent her a text message that read: “You’re a f*king joke … keep talking sh*t … sh*t going to come around soon … your turn will come … sh*t is going to go down … I’m not a n*** to be f**ked with.”

Another woman sent a text to friends last year that read: “I’m too scared … i know he’s (Thomas) gonna kill me.”

At least one of the women, who was reportedly hospitalised as a result of an incident in 2022, had been provided with a psychologist by the league, which told the Herald Sun the behaviour alleged to it was “family violence”. The AFL, according to the report, offered to facilitate meetings with detectives from a family violence investigation unit.

One allegation included Thomas telling a woman he wanted to beat her and called her names like “a ****”.

Another allegation claimed Thomas threw a lamp at a woman in a hotel room.

At least one of the women, who was reportedly hospitalised as a result of an incident in 2022, had been provided with a psychologist by the league
.'

I find it hard to believe this club would be that dumb after the last 12 years even if the coach is.

Animated GIF

You've forgotten our CEO for a day thing already?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back