Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Theoretically, how many games could the MCG hold each weekend without the pitch suffering badly? I'm wondering where the cut off point is.
Probably depends on the time of year. There's often 3 a weekend in a season, though I think that's limited more by not being able to have multiple games on one day than the load on the ground itself. At a minimum I reckon you could play 4 games a week there in winter, and 5 in spring/summer when everything comes to life. Probably more, and happy to be corrected by someone who knows what they're talking about.

Probably depends on the time of year. There's often 3 a weekend in a season, though I think that's limited more by not being able to have multiple games on one day than the load on the ground itself.
Is there something in the contract about not being able to have multiple games in one day, or is it a transport issue? They had magic round in the NRL and made it work somehow.

Is there something in the contract about not being able to have multiple games in one day, or is it a transport issue? They had magic round in the NRL and made it work somehow.
Would more be PT, and ticketing.
Nothing that wasn't a problem having day and night sessions during the '06 Comm Games.

Would be to do with crowd logistics. In 2013 Geelong got their home final in Geelong because 4 games at the G didn't fit in 3 days.
Also now I think about it, with 10 victorian teams that's 5 games in Victoria each week, which is easily handled by 3 at one of the MCG/Docklands, and 2 at the other, or 2 and 2 with 1 at Kardinia Park.
So really that 3 has little to do with the surface at all :tearsofjoy:

(with crowds, especially in finals) Could they do a 1.40 and a 7.40 game? Crowds put by 5ish open again at 6? Are there 4 AFL-standard sets of player facilities for prep and postmatch?

Would be to do with crowd logistics. In 2013 Geelong got their home final in Geelong because 4 games at the G didn't fit in 3 days.
Also now I think about it, with 10 victorian teams that's 5 games in Victoria each week, which is easily handled by 3 at one of the MCG/Docklands, and 2 at the other, or 2 and 2 with 1 at Kardinia Park.
So really that 3 has little to do with the surface at all :tearsofjoy:
I asked the question initially because I was wondering how many teams could move to the MCG. While in theory it makes sense to have a smaller stadium for the less well supported Melbourne clubs, most of them got screwed by the Docklands stadium deals, and it perpetuates the distinction between the rich and poor clubs. Pretty much every club's fans prefer to play at the MCG (except Geelong), so I was wondering how many games it could take in the absence of Docklands.

(with crowds, especially in finals) Could they do a 1.40 and a 7.40 game? Crowds put by 5ish open again at 6? Are there 4 AFL-standard sets of player facilities for prep and postmatch?
I think there are 4 player rooms.

It takes way longer than 1 hour to clean/set up before gate open though. 90,000 would struggle to be processed in 100 minutes.

I think there are 4 player rooms.

It takes way longer than 1 hour to clean/set up before gate open though. 90,000 would struggle to be processed in 100 minutes.
True. The dreaded 12.10 it is then, and 7.50!
I guess thesedays with a Thursday final they can do Thu-Sun matches week 1 of finals if all they need.

Videos are too big but they did a light show with the new LED lights on the roof at the BBL. They also flashed for every stars wicket too

E5EA2FA2-EBAB-47C8-9358-ECCC1EC47037.jpeg

MCG eyes rebuild of Great Southern Stand to retain sports capital crown​

The die was cast when the Vic Govt locked up the GF deal (sleaze at its best) & the Vic taxpayer underwrote the cricket club borrowings on the back of the national comp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Must be getting close to elections, they drag out the old chestnut of putting a roof over the G before every election. The government have been throwing around the idea of replacing the GSS sometime in the mid 2030s since they released their Victorian Stadium's Home Ground Advantage Document back in 2019. Putting a roof over the MCG would pose all manner of highly expensive engineering challenges and ongoingly increase costs and maintenance effort for the playing surface four fold. Look at Marvel Stadium as a case in point. Yes the GSS probably needs replacing in ten years time but a roof would be just an expensive folly. The athletes who play on the hallowed turf are not China dolls, they can handle getting wet even if Eddie can't.

Putting a roof over the MCG would pose all manner of highly expensive engineering challenges and ongoingly increase costs and maintenance effort for the playing surface four fold.
And regardless of costs, there's no way they'd be able to build it without shutting down the whole damn ground for... idk, 6-12 months (?!), assuming we're talking a retractable roof.

Must be getting close to elections, they drag out the old chestnut of putting a roof over the G before every election. The government have been throwing around the idea of replacing the GSS sometime in the mid 2030s since they released their Victorian Stadium's Home Ground Advantage Document back in 2019. Putting a roof over the MCG would pose all manner of highly expensive engineering challenges and ongoingly increase costs and maintenance effort for the playing surface four fold. Look at Marvel Stadium as a case in point. Yes the GSS probably needs replacing in ten years time but a roof would be just an expensive folly. The athletes who play on the hallowed turf are not China dolls, they can handle getting wet even if Eddie can't.
I agree with you, I do not want a roof on the MCG

His plan though is to build the roof over the stadium that doesn’t block the light like they have at a number of US stadiums. As it lets the light and air in while blocking the rain

Personally I hate the idea of a roof on the G

And regardless of costs, there's no way they'd be able to build it without shutting down the whole damn ground for... idk, 6-12 months (?!), assuming we're talking a retractable roof.
I think that we can all safely take a chill pill on this one. Just another one of Eddie's fantasies. Yes many NFL stadiums in North America and Millennium and Wembley Stadiums in the UK have retractable roofs. But Melbourne is not North America or England where they get snow blizzards and rain every other day respectively. Melbourne's weather is practically sub-tropical compared with Britain and what they get served up by mother nature in the Northern half of the US.
I agree with you, I do not want a roof on the MCG

His plan though is to build the roof over the stadium that doesn’t block the light like they have at a number of US stadiums. As it lets the light and air in while blocking the rain

Personally I hate the idea of a roof on the G
Seriously it's not going to happen anyway. The cost would be in the billions which would be bourne by tax payers and the MCC who still haven't paid off the Pondsford/Members/Olympic Stands. People will stump up the money to build a 50,000 seat new GSS which will cost upwards of $900 million(+), but when you talk about throwing another billion to come up with an engineering Marvel to roof over the biggest playing field in the world then that's a completely different argument that you have to persuade people to swallow. The NSW government got themselves into a lot of trouble over unnecessary spending on stadiums two years ago and abandoned the idea of bulldozing and rebuilding the Sydney Olympic Stadium. Victorians wouldn't be any different. The Tasmanians are going through the whole debate ATM of whether to upgrade Bellerive Oval or to build a new greenfield stadium to get themselves in the running for an AFL team, and of course the argument all centres on costs.

Let's not forget that the good people of Perth didn't get any spare change out of $1.6 billion for a 60,000 seat stadium with no roof over its field. No wonder they want the Grand Final - to pay the frigging thing off!

Last edited:
I think that we can all safely take a chill pill on this one. Just another one of Eddie's fantasies. Yes many NFL stadiums in North America and Millennium and Wembley Stadiums in the UK have retractable roofs. But Melbourne is not North America or England where they get snow blizzards and rain every other day respectively. Melbourne's weather is practically sub-tropical compared with Britain and what they get served up by mother nature in the Northern half of the US.

Seriously it's not going to happen anyway. The cost would be in the billions which would be bourne by tax payers and the MCC who still haven't paid off the Pondsford/Members/Olympic Stands. People will stump up the money to build a 50,000 seat new GSS which will cost upwards of $900 million(+), but when you talk about throwing another billion to come up with an engineering Marvel to roof over the biggest playing field in the world then that's a completely different argument that you have to persuade people to swallow. The NSW government got themselves into a lot of trouble over unnecessary spending on stadiums two years ago and abandoned the idea of bulldozing and rebuilding the Sydney Olympic Stadium. Victorians wouldn't be any different. The Tasmanians are going through the whole debate ATM of whether to upgrade Bellerive Oval or to build a new greenfield stadium to get themselves in the running for an AFL team, and of course the argument all centres on costs.

Let's not forget that the good people of Perth didn't get any spare change out of $1.6 billion for a 60,000 seat stadium with no roof over its field. No wonder they want the Grand Final - to pay the frigging thing off!
Look I agree the roof is a terrible idea, we have to remember it’s also a cricket stadium and I am not sure where the ICC would land on that

If they want to spend big money they should make all the train lines there under ground. Build a roof over the top of it. Keep most of it as open land but they could also sell some off for hospitality and retail

Look I agree the roof is a terrible idea, we have to remember it’s also a cricket stadium and I am not sure where the ICC would land on that
Absolutely! Imagine playing the third test under a roof? I don't know of anywhere in the world where any cricket tests are played under a roof. The ACB would never go for it much less the MCC who'd be expected to pay for half of it. Then as you say, the ICC.

Eddie seems to have an obsession with roofs. Remember that was part of his proposal when musing about bulldozing the Docklands four years ago and building Collingwood's new home groun ... Ooppps ... Errr sorry ... A new 60,000 capacity roofed AFL super stadium smack dab between Collingwood's training centre and the MCG. Eddie seems to be obsessed with the idea that AFL must be played in NFL like stadiums that cost billions to build and three weeks wages for the common man to buy a ticket to be able to go to. Yet the Americans bulldoze their stadiums every 30 years - No room for history or sentiment there. I know that Eddie likes to tell everybody about his working class roots, but he's lost touch with the realities of the Australian Football public.

That said, he's not alone. The AFL and even the clubs abuse our loyalty and treat members and supporters as a bottomless money pit. When you consider the teams like North Melbourne where members pay on average $240-$500 p/a for memberships to attend home games. Of course three to four of their home games are played in Hobart, while five of their 7-8 remaining Melbourne games are scheduled on late Sunday afternoons. Okay, watch the game on the telly if you can't make it to the game. Hmmm? Just a slight flaw with that idea. There's no free to air broadcast of Melbourne Sunday twillight games, so in addition to my pointless membership I either sign up to an expensive Foxtel sports package or pay $180 p/a for Kayo. I don't know where they think that we get our money from? It's certainly not from any kick backs from the game's broadcasters.

Yep,the AFL and Eddie seem to all be so connected to the realities of everyday supporters.

Should have paid to send engineers to US not Eddie. Roofs come with complete new builds not added to existing. And then the span would be arguably the biggest ever done. Might just work if it is fixed (transparent) then there’s the sun shadows we get from northern stand today.

So the point is people would rather stay home? A good portion of that is because it was difficult to get seats closer to the action - or too expensive under current ticketing policy.

Open up unused afl members and mcc members for less well attended matches and see the attendances grow. Zero cost option

Should have paid to send engineers to US not Eddie. Roofs come with complete new builds not added to existing. And then the span would be arguably the biggest ever done. Might just work if it is fixed (transparent) then there’s the sun shadows we get from northern stand today.

So the point is people would rather stay home? A good portion of that is because it was difficult to get seats closer to the action - or too expensive under current ticketing policy.

Open up unused afl members and mcc members for less well attended matches and see the attendances grow. Zero cost option
MCC is open for small games I get an Email each month inviting me to buy a guest pass

Absolutely! Imagine playing the third test under a roof? I don't know of anywhere in the world where any cricket tests are played under a roof. The ACB would never go for it much less the MCC who'd be expected to pay for half of it. Then as you say, the ICC.

Eddie seems to have an obsession with roofs. Remember that was part of his proposal when musing about bulldozing the Docklands four years ago and building Collingwood's new home groun ... Ooppps ... Errr sorry ... A new 60,000 capacity roofed AFL super stadium smack dab between Collingwood's training centre and the MCG. Eddie seems to be obsessed with the idea that AFL must be played in NFL like stadiums that cost billions to build and three weeks wages for the common man to buy a ticket to be able to go to. Yet the Americans bulldoze their stadiums every 30 years - No room for history or sentiment there. I know that Eddie likes to tell everybody about his working class roots, but he's lost touch with the realities of the Australian Football public.

That said, he's not alone. The AFL and even the clubs abuse our loyalty and treat members and supporters as a bottomless money pit. When you consider the teams like North Melbourne where members pay on average $240-$500 p/a for memberships to attend home games. Of course three to four of their home games are played in Hobart, while five of their 7-8 remaining Melbourne games are scheduled on late Sunday afternoons. Okay, watch the game on the telly if you can't make it to the game. Hmmm? Just a slight flaw with that idea. There's no free to air broadcast of Melbourne Sunday twillight games, so in addition to my pointless membership I either sign up to an expensive Foxtel sports package or pay $180 p/a for Kayo. I don't know where they think that we get our money from? It's certainly not from any kick backs from the game's broadcasters.

Yep,the AFL and Eddie seem to all be so connected to the realities of everyday supporters.
Look getting rid of Marvel for another ground in the MCG complex I am neither here no there on. They have over developed around marvel and it makes the ground a pain in the arse. But the AFL owns the land and that’s a massive tick plus I couldn’t see being able to use both AFL stadiums at the same time if it was in the MCG complex

So in short I wouldn’t be sad to see marvel go and I wouldn’t be sad to see the train yards covered opening up all that space. But I feel it would be a poor location for a ground

Remove this Banner Ad

Back