Club Focus Melbourne 2023

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Cheers mate. Appreciate the objective reply.

Reckon Dees 23 will be as good as anyone's next year but they'll need a lot to go right to be in contention again. Seems like quite a few clubs will be looking to go on a spending spree next off season.
yeah, I think we'll find it tough to match it with the Brisbane's of the league who keep getting gifted elite father sons and Collingwood now getting Schultz who is a gun. But I think we played 2 finals where we played like trash, kicked inaccurately and lost both finals by 7 and 2 points despite having a lot of injuries and bad luck. I'm more concerned with the off field stuff now.

yeah, I think we'll find it tough to match it with the Brisbane's of the league who keep getting gifted elite father sons and Collingwood now getting Schultz who is a gun. But I think we played 2 finals where we played like trash, kicked inaccurately and lost both finals by 7 and 2 points despite having a lot of injuries and bad luck. I'm more concerned with the off field stuff now.
We'll be fine, we didn't lose anything valuable outside of Grundys ruckwork backing up Gawn but Fullarton will provide better backup than JVR can in the ruck and also keeps him in the forward line.

Billings if he can get fit is a very good low risk high reward pick-up.

Adding McAdam to the forward line boosts firepower plus defensive pressure.

Two high picks to add is great.

Another pre-season into JVR and Jefferson will be huge plus guys like McVee, Sparrow, Rivers, Bowey, Kosi as well.

Oliver and Fritsch back is massive.

It's nowhere near as grim as you paint it out to be, actually quite the opposite.

Caddy and Murphy would probably be the ideal draft, if not Caddy then O'Sullivan.
Ideal draft for us (IMO) would be:

Pick 6*:
  1. Curtin
  2. Leake
  3. Caddy/O'Sullivan
Pick 11*:
  1. Windsor
  2. Wilson
  3. Tholstrup
I personally wouldn't use a pick that high on Murphy. Lockdown KPDs who don't have much of an attacking game can always be found later in the draft, and I imagine he's at least a couple of years off being AFL-ready.

Last edited:

We'll be fine, we didn't lose anything valuable outside of Grundys ruckwork backing up Gawn but Fullarton will provide better backup than JVR can in the ruck and also keeps him in the forward line.

Another pre-season into JVR and Jefferson will be huge plus guys like McVee, Sparrow, Rivers, Bowey, Kosi as well.

It's nowhere near as grim as you paint it out to be, actually quite the opposite.
JVR was amazing in the ruck. like actually extremely good. Better than Grundy even at rucking.

Ideal draft for us (IMO) would be:

Pick 6*:
  1. Curtin
  2. Caddy
  3. O'Sullivan
Pick 11*:
  1. Windsor
  2. Wilson
  3. Leake/Tholstrup
I personally wouldn't use a pick that high on Murphy. Lockdown KPDs who don't have much of an attacking game can always be found later in the draft, and I imagine he's at least a couple of years off being AFL-ready.
I like the rankings idea.

I'd say Pick 6:
1 - O'Sullivan
2- Caddy
3- Windsor

Pick 11:
1- Windsor (if there)
2- Charlie Edwards
3- Leake/Tew Jiath.

I agree. If think it’s more the off field stuff that could be a distraction. Gawn as solo ruck for a whole year is a bonus. We kept Petty and only improved the list with the ins.
And as you said there’s a few young players that should continue to improve.

If that was the case, I wouldn't have asked opinions.

Keep up the victim mentality.

FFS you are so in love with yourself, give it a rest troll

If you have a problem with my replies then stop replying to me, it's pretty simple, stop crying and getting all offended

Last edited:
FFS you are so in love with yourself, give it a rest troll

Relax please. He has done nothing wrong and you are out of line.

Discussion is perfectly reasonable. If you don't want to read it, you don't have to.

This trade period has been the highlight of our offseason so far. But also it has been a pretty average trade period.

Traded out depth from the midfield. Brought in depth to our forward and wing.
McAdams to replace Melksham. Need a KPD from the draft but we now also need some mids. If we get hit with injuries to our best 22 our depth is not going to cut it.

Ultimately we haven’t improved our list for 2024 and the other top lists have.

We do have some talented youth though and they should improve a lot with each preseason. I am concerned that won’t be anywhere near enough. The Dee’s are vulnerable for a lot of reasons at the moment.

This trade period has been the highlight of our offseason so far. But also it has been a pretty average trade period.

Traded out depth from the midfield. Brought in depth to our forward and wing.
McAdams to replace Melksham. Need a KPD from the draft but we now also need some mids. If we get hit with injuries to our best 22 our depth is not going to cut it.

Ultimately we haven’t improved our list for 2024 and the other top lists have.

We do have some talented youth though and they should improve a lot with each preseason. I am concerned that won’t be anywhere near enough. The Dee’s are vulnerable for a lot of reasons at the moment.
We didn't lose anything of value, Harmes isn't midfield depth he's a list clogger.

Jordon is handy but we don't lose anything there given that he didn't play midfield and was stuck on a wing where both Hunter and Langdon plus now Billings has more value there as well.

McAdam isn't a Melksham replacement, while I love Melksham but he doesn't provide the pressure and aerial threat that McAdam does. We're getting something different that will add to the defensive pressure of Kosi, ANB and Chandler.

According to Twomey a three-way trade with North and GC fell through during the FA period after the Dogs' made their crazy offer for pick 5.

Melbourne's part was 6, 14, F1 > 3, F19. North were to throw in another late first to GC and ended up with 5 & 6.

Assuming Melbourne are still keen, I can see a similar three way with either Geelong or GWS happening.

M 6,11 > 3
NM 3, 17 > 6, 8
G 8 > 11, 17

According to Twomey a three-way trade with North and GC fell through during the FA period after the Dogs' made their crazy offer for pick 5.

Melbourne's part was 6, 14, F1 > 3, F19. North were to throw in another late first to GC and ended up with 5 & 6.

Assuming Melbourne are still keen, I can see a similar three way with either Geelong or GWS happening.

M 6,11 > 3
NM 3, 17 > 6, 8
G 8 > 11, 17
If we can't get 1 I don't see us trading for 3, I'd think we'd rather have 6 and 11.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we can't get 1 I don't see us trading for 3, I'd think we'd rather have 6 and 11.
I thought that the original trade must have just been to get someone at 3, maybe Duursma? As, unless a player was going to be involved, you wouldn't have had enough left to get from 3 to 1.

In my opinion we didn't do enough to address our deficiencies. Need a Ruck as Gawn cover, May has dropped off alarmingly, need a replacement there. Mcdonald needed to read the room and retire he is more overcooked than a charcoal briquette. BBB is on the decline.

Needed to do more in the FA/Trade period and fell rather short.

In my opinion we didn't do enough to address our deficiencies. Need a Ruck as Gawn cover, May has dropped off alarmingly, need a replacement there. Mcdonald needed to read the room and retire he is more overcooked than a charcoal briquette. BBB is on the decline.

Needed to do more in the FA/Trade period and fell rather short.
how has May dropped off? He took Curnow to the absolute cleaners in arguably his best game in a Melbourne jumper in front of 95k in a final. He's still the best def in the league.

M 6,11 > 3
NM 3, 17 > 6, 8
G 8 > 11, 17
Assuming North holds 2 at the draft (and ignoring any likely bid on Walter) what's the consensus North view on who you take there, and what's your view? That would obviously shape our interest in 3.

Assuming North holds 2 at the draft (and ignoring any likely bid on Walter) what's the consensus North view on who you take there, and what's your view? That would obviously shape our interest in 3.
I wouldn't know but have long thought McKercher. However recently the talk is that we rate Duursma higher and I think that you guys might too. It could always be done as I pre-arranged live trade (depending on who we take). Or, if we aren't fussed, trade for 2 instead.

Not too sure why people think Curtin wouldnt play instantly for Demons if he went at pick 6. Petty/J.Smith gotta be used up forward because well they have to so it would leave a spot for Curtin on a HBF as a 3rd tall. He is more likely to get a game with the Demons then any of the other teams in contention for him in the top 6

With Pick 11 I think its just a guy like Wilson or Windsor.

While McKercher is a gun, I expect most believe our forward has more scope to improve than our midfield, and Duursma already has some games at Casey for us to feel more comfortable with.

If Curtin slides to 6, I'm sure we will take him, even over Sanders. But starting lineup? It would have to depend how good pre-season goes, but I don't think he is a walk in.

Melbourne have no interest in moving up to pick 3 if it means trading 6 & 11, they just take whoever is leftover at pick 6 from Curtain, Watson or Sanders.
6 & 11 is just too much in this draft, would they do 6 and a 2024 1st round pick, maybe if they love Duursma.
They tried to trade all their picks for pick 1 but it was never going to be enough.

Pick 11 they need someone with pace badly and preferably a backman. We have plenty of guys that can run all day and small low to the ground players but not genuine pace.

We'll slide next year.

Still have holes on our list that we didn't fill compared to other top 4 teams.

Still think you will be good enough to make top 4, still have one of the best midfields and probably best backline in the comp.

Your forward line is still bit of a worry yes, but Van Rooyen could easily take a leap and kick 40-50 goals next season.

Biggest worry for the Dees is your off field issues, but (touchwood) you have gotten it under control now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back