Lovable Whore With A Heart Of Gold
10k Posts Bay 13: Flog of the Year Chocolate Artist Ruby
May 10, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
FITZROY, Aylesbury United, St Pauli

After things on the NBN thread got sidetracked into arguments about party preference, I figured it was a good idea to have any discussion not about a particular policy topic or a specific topic otherwise go in here.

Yeah I'm out

Talking politics can be like convincing me to support another club :D :p :p

Well truly mate, I strongly believe it's best to try to avoid thinking about things that way.

After all, as far as politics is concerned, it's policy that matters above anything else isn't it, no matter which party's in government.

There was a time when there were a sizeable number of Coalition MPs and Senators I had a lot of respect for, for that matter.

Come on Wonna you're as partisan is it gets.

Based on what evidence? Because I don't like Abbott and what he represents?

I'm certainly partisan against Abbott and the Coalition under him, that's about the extent of my partisanship.

You can't possibly accuse me of prioritising any party over policy outcomes. You have no basis for that.

And this is me speaking as someone who used to be an ALP member when I was in high school. Not sure if you remember, but I left the ALP because of the way they sold out various policy principles they used to stand for, and the structural dominance of that careerist, amoral Right faction over that party.

The only distinction I make between the two major parties is in determining the lesser of two evils, although that gets harder to do all the time.

And if the Greens reached the point where they were selling out the fundamental social-democratic values they've come to represent as a party, I'd discontinue voting for them as well.

I don't uncritically follow anyone in politics.

You still defended the ALP like it was your job on the politics board

No, that's not true either.

I always argued on the basis of policy issues and actions taken. And you've not sought to provide any evidence in this post either. You don't have any serious basis for claiming I was somehow a 'defender' of the ALP.

You'd find a range of examples of posts where I've slammed the ALP as well, if you looked back through. Especially amongst the more recent ones.

And no, I wasn't banned from that board. But I certainly haven't returned to that board since the last time I was carded there, and I won't. Like many others, I don't think the main guy moderating there is at all objective in what he does.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if I'd been banned at some stage if I'd kept posting there though. Saw a number of other progressive people I knew and liked who used to post there get banned before I gave up on it.

You probably had 30 posts defending the Gillard government

Show me these posts where I "defended the Gillard government". Presenting facts to counter false claims about policy issues does not somehow equate to this. Attacking the Coalition under Abbott doesn't either.

The fact I think this Abbott-led Coalition is a nightmare, and have often posted to that effect, doesn't somehow mean I was supporting or "defending" the ALP. It isn't one or the other, that's not any kind of mature reasoning. And saying it once, twice, thrice or more doesn't change this.

Also on this subject, do you remember me posting on our board before the election saying I strongly thought everyone should put both major parties last?

And going back to the point about my departure from the ALP and the fact I've not voted for them at any election since, I feel compelled to ask this question mate. Do you vote for the Liberal Party, and if so, are there any circumstances under which you'd vote for another party instead?

I could find at least 100 posts of you defending or deflecting criticism of labor if I could be assed.

No you couldn't. You'd certainly see plenty of evidence-based argument about policies and actions taken by Abbott/Gillard/Rudd though. And you'd see a bunch of posts more recently by me slamming the ALP under Rudd.

You think that anyone who doesn't like Labor is a Liberal fan.

No, I don't. I asked you if you vote for the Liberals or not. I didn't assert that you did, I sought to find out if you did. And speaking of deflection, you didn't answer that question mate. You automatically tried to deflect it back on me ;)

PS- In any case, I obviously voted for the Greens at the last election, as I've done at every election from '98 onwards. Are you suggesting I think I'm a Liberal fan? :D

544878_10151609341132967_1421188878_n_zpscdfda323.jpg

The "I don't even vote labor I'm a green!" isn't a new thing. I didn't vote in the house of reps because neither side deserves my preference. I'd put my house on you preferencing labor every single time for the rest of your life. Your the kind of protest voter they love because you're as sure a thing as the card carriers. In the senate I put the libs either second last or near it. Labor was last because they were a **** awful government and because I'll never put them anywhere else while Conroy is a senator.

I'd put my house on you preferencing labor every single time for the rest of your life. Your the kind of protest voter they love because you're as sure a thing as the card carriers.

In point of fact, I preferenced the ALP below the Liberals in my seat at the previous election for exactly that reason - a protest vote. I said on SRP at the time that this was what I was going to do, and I did.

No, as you noticed, I didn't.

If it gets merged into this thread, I might make reference.

PS: :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In brief seriousness Wonna I do notice Dees fans posts on politics more than others for whatever reason, (HFF has no soul at all being a teen conservative) and do remember a few years ago you saying you'd preference the libs over labour. When I said you were deluded it was a bit harsh I think you just aren't aware though how much by reflex you defended the 'left' major party and attacked the 'right' one. To my mind it doesn't matter how much you hate Abbott nobody who considers them self a 'progressive' should be defending at all ever a nasty conservative piece of work like Gillard just because they are slightly left of the Mad Monk. (I am aware this post is probably a waste of time, but my Captain Morgan drink wasn't quite finished yet.) :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back