Media expectation of Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 14, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal
I dont know how many watched Footy Classified tonight but Wilson said that Harvey should get the sack if we dont make the 8. What do the media expect or does the club need to get out that we are rebuilding. I dont mean by Harvey saying we have a young team but what the clubs expectations are.

What do you think would be acceptable result for the season? I think we would be lucky to win more than 5 wins. I just want the club to play as many kids that are as possible.

I just shook my head an said how does this idiot keep her job.

Seriously if a club gets rid of 14 players in 1 go Including a couple of very good players with atleast 1 yr left in them.
Doesnt that tell you there is a mass cleanout an there looking to rebuild.
Do they need an official letter sent to them saying. Here we have done what everyone wanted took a big knife through the playing list an cut 1/3rd of them, we are now going to draft for the future instead of the quick fix an look to build our way back up.

Trouble is this kind of media attention will be on us all year an theres a chance Hart may crack an fall to media pressure.
If that happens we are even more screwed.

I can see Harvey getting rid of around 10 players at end of this season also.
Hes trying to start from pretty much scratch.
If he could he prob would of got rid of 20+ last year but just cant do that as so many low picks arent much good.

I expect a minimum of 3 wins
Melbourne,eagles an eagles again or against essendon.
I dont care if we only get 1 win if we lose to melbourne i will be pissed.
Im not worried about the wins
The season will be acceptable for me if all our fringe players are given a few games to prove themself if they dont there GONE.
If we play with some passion and all the young guys get some games an experience in them so they are ready to take the spots of the bunch we get rid of at end of season.
Also wanna see signs of improvement on how we move the ball from backline to forward line.

At best Caro is showing a complete lack of knowledge about Freo's situation, at worst she is being deliberately malicious and misleading in an effort to create headlines. Either way it's a damning indictment on someone who is supposedly a professional football reporter.

Harves' big mistake seems to be that he doesn't coach Richmond. Or maybe he should have shagged her to buy her silence like her golden boy Wallace must have done.

Absolutely ridiculous assessment and shows a complete non-understanding of where we are and what we are trying to achieve.

I mean Harvey should be applauded for his stance on the list - he has taken more action than any other coach in this regard.

He is not above criticism and we need to work on skill levels and decision making. Watching the Crows game - we could have won it in the first quarter ...literally better field kicking and we could have gone in 6 goals in front and what a difference that would make to confidence.

Our structure is not 100 miles away.

We move the ball nicely at times but it is the finishing. Campbell or Murphy in the square is a must ...at times we go central and there is no one at home.

If I was not hopeful of a 8 finish - I can't see how the experts could even contemplate it.

It is beyond me.

Being based in Melbourne Caro is completly out of touch with what is going on in OPerth that she has to conjur up some tripe just to make a headline... JOKE of a journo imho

Im not sure if we will get a win this year, which is a disheartening thought, but as long as we continue to get games into suban, hill, broughton, clarke, hinkley etc etc then i will be happy. wilson is an uninformed slapper of the highest degree

At best Caro is showing a complete lack of knowledge about Freo's situation, at worst she is being deliberately malicious and misleading in an effort to create headlines. Either way it's a damning indictment on someone who is supposedly a professional football reporter.

Harves' big mistake seems to be that he doesn't coach Richmond. Or maybe he should have shagged her to buy her silence like her golden boy Wallace must have done.

Have you ever heard her speak about Richmond... and that's her team

She is like Cornflakes.... Just makes stupid statements. I reckon she wouldn't have a true understanding of most clubs located outside of Victoria and an iffy knowledge on those in Victoria at that....

Being based in Melbourne Caro is completly out of touch with what is going on in OPerth that she has to conjur up some tripe just to make a headline... JOKE of a journo imho

I wouldn't just restrict that statement to Caro. I think you could add any other melbourne media journalist, with particular emphasis on Robert Walls and Mike Sheahan.

The only journalist who seems to have any idea is Gerard Healy.

I can see Harvey getting rid of around 10 players at end of this season also.
Hes trying to start from pretty much scratch.
If he could he prob would of got rid of 20+ last year but just cant do that as so many low picks arent much good.

Wow! Who do you think they'll be?

I reckon it'll be more like 5 or 6, absolute maximum would be 7.

Wow! Who do you think they'll be?

I reckon it'll be more like 5 or 6, absolute maximum would be 7.

Head (crap)
Gilmore (crap)
Thornton (crap)
Murphy (has contract, but I'd trade him for a packet of crisps)
Browne (crap)
Headland (I reckon he's finished due to injury)
O'Brien (if he doesn't come up, but would prefer we persisted)
Campbell (average)
Solomon (finished if he doesn't improve)
Drum (don't think he's got it, but we'll persist)
Tarrant (may retire, but would prefer he stayed)

I'd also look at trading Michael Johnson for a pick 30-50...not good enough

We have an expanded recruiting department...time to put it to the test to find players who may be good enough, as opposed to players who definitely aren't

I dont know how many watched Footy Classified tonight but Wilson said that Harvey should get the sack if we dont make the 8.

Have you ever heard her speak about Richmond... and that's her team

Perhaps there's a link here.

Wallet: Hey Caro, hows things?
Caro: Good Terry, you?
Wallet: Actually, it looks like I'll be moving the sunbed out of Punt Road shortly.
Caro: Oh, that sounds awful. Any thoughts on where to?
Wallet: Not really. I'm considering putting it on eBay and moving somewhere with more natural sun.
Caro: Vossy reckons the only reason he was heading to Perth was for a tan, you could think about there.
Wallet: Yeah, but there's no jobs over there.
Caro: Give me a couple of days and I'll see what I can do for you.
Wallet: Thanks Caro, you're a real friend.
Caro: No worries. How about another of your special "hugs", Terry.
Wallet: I'll be there in 20 minutes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I doubt we world cut so many KPP in one draft unless it was full of good prospects with Sibo and Shep first 22. With Elvis and Pav in their late 20's, IMHO it'd leave the list too thin.

Head (crap)
Gilmore (crap)
Thornton (crap)
Murphy (has contract, but I'd trade him for a packet of crisps)
Browne (crap)
Headland (I reckon he's finished due to injury)
O'Brien (if he doesn't come up, but would prefer we persisted)
Campbell (average)
Solomon (finished if he doesn't improve)
Drum (don't think he's got it, but we'll persist)
Tarrant (may retire, but would prefer he stayed)

I'd also look at trading Michael Johnson for a pick 30-50...not good enough

We have an expanded recruiting department...time to put it to the test to find players who may be good enough, as opposed to players who definitely aren't

I think that may be being a bit pessimistic

I doubt Soloman or Tarrant will go.

Campbell is average but necessary for a few years if I was coach. I'd play him in a similar role to what Leigh Brown once played, a strong forward target who can hit packs and has a little bit of agro. He won't get a ton of possessions or goals but it should straighten the side up and bring other players into the game. Of course, then you have the problem of who exactly is going to play at his feet...

Ultimately, McPharlin is a defender, Grover is a defender, Tarrant looks to be playing back, Sibo is nowhere near ready, Sandi isn't a forward, Murphy is rubbish...so you do need someone to at least be an option to play up forward for the next few years until an adequate replacement is found.

Of course Pav is a gun, but he needs support.

There is no point just holding onto crap KPP players simply because they are all we have. If they are not good enough, then get rid of them, it shouldn't matter what position they play.

There is no point just holding onto crap KPP players simply because they are all we have. If they are not good enough, then get rid of them, it shouldn't matter what position they play.

I don't agree, you need someone to at least compete in those positions until an adequate replacement is found and I don't think fielding a bizarrely unconventional structure is the best environment to develop a team of kids.

I dont know how many watched Footy Classified tonight but Wilson said that Harvey should get the sack if we dont make the 8. What do the media expect or does the club need to get out that we are rebuilding. I dont mean by Harvey saying we have a young team but what the clubs expectations are.

What do you think would be acceptable result for the season? I think we would be lucky to win more than 5 wins. I just want the club to play as many kids that are as possible.

This stupid lady tipped freo yet again and now has to vent her anger out about dropping yet another tip.

I just cant beleive the harvey hate bashers out there, i bet caroline wilson was one of the many so called critics to say we need a rebuild and now that one is happening they want to stab him in the back.

This stupid lady tipped freo yet again and now has to vent her anger out about dropping yet another tip.

I just cant beleive the harvey hate bashers out there, i bet caroline wilson was one of the many so called critics to say we need a rebuild and now that one is happening they want to stab him in the back.

I don't think it's Harvey bashing (I think we all get a bit too precious and sensitive about these things around here), its just plain ignorance. The fact that until this round, mostly east coast commentators were still rating freo as a top 8 team shows how little they know about what's going on here. No team, absolutely no team in this system is going to loose near a third of its most experienced starters (even if some of them aren't all that great) plus a few injuries to critical players (eg. Headland, Hayden) and be safely pressing the 8. I don't mind Caro in the main, but outside Melbourne and to a lesser degree Sydney, she has NFI, end of story. You can safely ignore anything she says about most things, but about Freo it's guaranteed to be off the mark or old news or both.

Wallet: Actually, it looks like I'll be moving the sunbed out of Punt Road shortly.
Wallet: Not really. I'm considering putting it on eBay and moving somewhere with more natural sun.
Caro: Vossy reckons the only reason he was heading to Perth was for a tan, you could think about there.

lol... GOLD:thumbsu:

I wonder if he likes the braces....

The issue is, thanks to whatever reason, we still have another ~10 or so players to clean out at our club that aren't AFL standard or young (hence have improvement to come).

The seemingly schizophrenic choice of "trying to rebuild" yet "being unable to to do it properly" has people looking at our list and thinking "they should make the 8". It's a problem with our list that will be fixed at the end of this year, so the media should die down about it after that. From the outside our paper list seems reasonable, it's only when you understand the problems facing our side that you realize we are in deep trouble.

Reason so many again this year is we have to make use of this draft before the gold coast team comes in an takes all the top picks. An i get the feeling Harvey is hell bent on cleaning out the crap an gettin this club on the right track.
He should prob use the media to help get this message out to the players instead of just behind closed doors.
Make them know he is dead serious about not accepting crap efforts an players just doing enough to keep there spot.
So anyone over 21 that doesnt get much gametime this year or doesnt do much with there opportunity will be out the door.

Guys in the firing line imo would be
Browne
Head
Murphy
Drum
Obrien
Foster
Gilmore
Thornton
Headland
Also could be some we didnt see coming an guys on rookie list

Im not saying i want all of them guys gone its just i think there will be another mass cleanout and those guys need to show something or they could be in trouble.

I actually agree with memories on this ON PAPER WE HAVE A TEAM THAT PROBABLY SHOULD BE TOP 8.
Mcpharlin, Johnson and Hayden are rated pretty good by vics/media we would prob rate grover ahead of johnson.
Palmer, Haze, Mundy, Sandi an Ibbo are pretty well rated by vics/media
Then we have Pav an tarrant down forward.
When you look at that list on paper how can a spine like that not be top 8, its much better than alot of other teams out there.
But it comes down to guys not putting in every week, feeling they have it made they wont get dropped.
Guys needed to fill in the the other spots not up to standard. No fighting for positions in team.

How many guys not in the 22 are kicking ass in WAFL demanding to be picked for Freo.
Not enough so guys in team feel safe.

Im not sure if we will get a win this year, which is a disheartening thought, but as long as we continue to get games into suban, hill, broughton, clarke, hinkley etc etc then i will be happy. wilson is an uninformed slapper of the highest degree

We will do better than a lot of you are suggesting. Confidence is down and we are still persisting with some hacks but things may well turn the corner sooner than we think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back