Opinion Marquee Player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Alex Pearce is a Tasmanian and Im sure he would do well in his home state.

Yeah Cowan won't be top 10. He has a lot of talent, but its pretty hard to make the top 10 in the comp. He will have a great career if he gets as good as Howe and Howe was never top 10 in the comp. Sanders and McKercher are the two players who look good. Seth Campbell is getting good reviews at the tigers but he has been injured. I never seen a draft age player do what Seth Campbell did in the TSL last year with that 10 goal game so I hope he can reach his full potential in the AFL but we will see.

Tarryn Thomas is the most talented and highest potential young player we have. :eek: He needs to become a better person and do a lot of off field work to see his potential though. I think a move back to Tassie and away from the big cities would be good for him.
Big call, but if Seth had've been fit all season he would be in the senior side right now. Played one VFL game inbetween injuries and looked ready to go.

Tassie do not need a marquee player; they are a traditional AFL state unlike NSW/QLD. Surely lessons should be learned from GAJ/Gold Coast Suns and what happens when one player takes up such a huge amount of cap space. The most important thing that they need is a solid group of players to form a competitive team from day 1. Having a marquee player would be detrimental to that. Secondary would be having a core group of Tasmanian talent.

Tassie do not need a marquee player; they are a traditional AFL state unlike NSW/QLD. Surely lessons should be learned from GAJ/Gold Coast Suns and what happens when one player takes up such a huge amount of cap space. The most important thing that they need is a solid group of players to form a competitive team from day 1. Having a marquee player would be detrimental to that. Secondary would be having a core group of Tasmanian talent.
It depends on what the cap concessions are, the Suns didn't fail because of Ablett.

Having a marquee player to lead both on and off the field would be a good thing for a brand new club.

Ability is one thing.

They will need to want to be a part of developing a new team & be the mature character type who will add to the new team culture. Also those who'd like the small city life. Like Geelong, or NRL Newcastle, Canberra or Townsville.

Hobart has been developing a more cosmopolitan lifestyle, a growing Coffee culture, very good restaurants. Its really been expedited since MONA came along. That change ideas & attitudes. It added greatly to 'brand' Tasmania. The whole state has changed significantly over the last decade or so,

All this within easy reach of the traditional pursuits of inland/deep sea fishing, shooting, bush walks & camping, great beaches (bit chilly at times;)) It offers a good family environment for players & staff alike. Thats the strengths, If they appeal to 'the right people'.

Mummy's boys need not apply, ;)

That would start world war three with Collingwood 🙂
Happy Chris Pratt GIF

Does anybody think that afl sides will resist drafting players from Tas between now and 2028?

Does anybody think that afl sides will resist drafting players from Tas between now and 2028?
Maybe interstate clubs. I reckon Vic clubs will back themselves to convince them to stay.

I hope so. It would be a shame for callinan, mckercher etc to miss out because they are Tasmanian.
I read someone suggesting they'll sit out waiting for the Tassie team, which doesn't make sense to me either. There's no guarantees in 4 years time they'll get picked, they'll take their chance now and make the most of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hate to be a vulture but I hope someone has approached Harry Sheezel and suggested he maybe he could be the marquee option if he keeps his contract options open. He'll be what 23/4 when we get up, perfect age group and possible captain.

I hope so. It would be a shame for callinan, mckercher etc to miss out because they are Tasmanian.
Not a chance these boys won’t get drafted. McKercher and sanders will both go in the top 10 and clubs will back themselves to keep them. McKercher is rated 2nd on at least 2 clubs draft boards At the moment.

Hate to be a vulture but I hope someone has approached Harry Sheezel and suggested he maybe he could be the marquee option if he keeps his contract options open. He'll be what 23/4 when we get up, perfect age group and possible captain.
Reckon he will stay in Melbourne. His Dad follows him everywhere to watch him play. Makes me think they are a very close-knit family group.

Should do what the JJ's did. Get players wanting to prove a point. I don't follow the NRL much but hear similar things about the Dolphins and their playing group. As such, need a leader more than a star player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back