Mark McEntee: in terms of Aussie guitarists?

Remove this Banner Ad

materamagic

Premiership Player
Oct 4, 2003
Perth, WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Coast
Where would you rank the guy? What song do you think displays his best playing?

I know it would never happen but would you like to hear the Divinyls record one more album? or do a few shows?

The members might have moved on but I think Chrissy would absolutely slaughter and put to shame every Aussie female pop tart out there.

materamagic said:
Where would you rank the guy? What song do you think displays his best playing?

I know it would never happen but would you like to hear the Divinyls record one more album? or do a few shows?

The members might have moved on but I think Chrissy would absolutely slaughter and put to shame every Aussie female pop tart out there.

He's "good" but in terms of Australian guitarists he's not on the same planet as Rowland S.Howard, Spencer P.Jones, Charlie Owen, Kim Salmon or Dennis Tek (if you can count him as australian).

I'm not sure i've heard of this guy but as far as Aussie guitar players go .... Chris Finnen is an amazing blues guitar player & Tommy Emmanuel is also a pretty gifted guitar player. I once jammed with Chris Finnen in a guitar shop in the city a few years ago & he just blew me away. If you ever get the chance go see Chris Finnen play you won't regret it, plus he's a top bloke. :thumbsu:

Mr Magoo said:
I'm not sure i've heard of this guy

You're kidding me, right? Mark of the Divinyls. Perhaps his guitar doesn't stand out but you should know who he is? Well it could be excused because he doesn't really know who he is these days.

Leaping Lindner said:
He's "good" but in terms of Australian guitarists he's not on the same planet as Rowland S.Howard, Spencer P.Jones, Charlie Owen, Kim Salmon or Dennis Tek (if you can count him as australian).

Ed Kuepper goes alright as well.

Nothing like an 18 year old bump.

I’ve been on a bit of a Divinyls binge after not listening to them much at all previously. This guy wrote some really cool stuff with Chrissy I think, some interesting progressions, note choices and rhythmic accents in few songs. Even the seemingly fairly straight ahead Boys in Town - I cannot seem to find a version of anyone else other than him & the band (or him with the Preatures) playing a certain part ‘correctly’. The transition from A to B after the C# in the verses. It’s slightly grating to me as it’s part of the composition with how it works with the vocal rhythm, not something that can be just half-arsed. Anyway. 😆

From a soloing perspective, this concert later in their career gives you a good idea of him as a player. There’s an extended solo on Love School from about 29 mins in where he’s playing loose and reaching. It’s not slick but that’s live rock sometimes. I gather they dialled the guitar back in mixes the further they progressed in their recording career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back