Manuka Oval Canberra

Remove this Banner Ad

Okay, so, if the government wanted a new ground, what would be the best place to put it?

A new location? Or do you upgrade the current Ludicrouslyoddtitledstadium at Manuka? How is getting to Canberra Stadium in comparison to Manuka? I'm kind of interested because I don't think I'll get back to the place for a while. What'd be a good area to plonk a ground in? Mostly from an accessibility, size, and atmospheric perspective?

Western edge of LBG on Lady Denman Drive near the zoo. equally far from everybody. Canberra is a strange place. everything is built in that north/south axis it's close to 50km north south and 10k wide.

Western edge of LBG on Lady Denman Drive near the zoo. equally far from everybody. Canberra is a strange place. everything is built in that north/south axis it's close to 50km north south and 10k wide.

Canberra had it's own football park at one stage in Woden, bought by the league in the 1970's, sold off a few years ago.

Manuka's World Cup bid revamp
April 6, 2013
John Tuxworth
Cricket ACT views sacrificing Chairman's XI hosting rights as a small price to pay as it looks to upgrade Manuka Oval into a venue capable of hosting 2015 World Cup games.
Cricket Australia has confirmed the two-day fixture against England on November 29-30 will be moved to another city, with work on resurfacing the ground to begin mid-year.

Manuka Oval hasn't been resurfaced since it opened in 1929, and Cricket Australia and the AFL both rate its upgrade a top priority.
Of major concern is the venue's poor drainage. It's believed the ground can only handle about 16mm of rain before cricket fixtures are jeopardised for safety reasons.

The Canberra Times understands the work will cost $3 million-$4 million, and will begin almost immediately after the Greater Western Sydney Giants' final AFL game at the venue this year, against Western Bulldogs on July 6.

Read more:http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/manukas-world-cup-bid-revamp-20130405-2hcjh.html#ixzz2RpAEZGSq

The ground will be upgraded to 19,000 seats and be resurfaced. Good news for Canberra AFL fans. A 20k stadium is probably around where it should be.

As a Canberra resident and footy supporter, I have a vested interest in Manuka and I did some searching online as discovered these master plans that have been mentioned in above posts:

http://www.manukaoval.com.au/about/master_plan.php

There are 3 options, increasing in cost, size and scale.

Option 1 is a basic upgrade refurb.
Option 2 looks like its will ensure an all seater stadium and coverings over the seats. This raised capacity to around 20k and I reckon its good enough for the Giants. Also, the area in suburban and I cant imagine local residents want a monstrosity of a stadium around.
Option 3 means sending the AFL off to a redesigned Canberra Stadium and building a new rectangular stadium nearby. Something like this has been proposed recently in the Canberra Times (new rectangular stadium for the city).

Personally, as an AFL supporter who wants to see quality football in the capital, option 2 is the way to go.

Fair enough, but lets face it, GWS is no Canberra team, neither is probably the next favourite, or the team that plays there the second most ( over the years) . .. The Sydney Swans, in fact the most popular AFL club in Canberra is Collingwood.

However if Canberra actually got its own team then you may see some real barracking.

Most popular sports teams in Canberra

Canberra Raiders 10%

Collingwood 9%

http://www.theroar.com.au/2009/10/16/national-survey-says-afl-most-popular/
That is very interesting. If the Giants keep playing matches there for another 10 or so years and with reasonable success I can see it changing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm guessing that means the locals are still against any further developments
Pretty much. They're building a brand new media centre behind the goals at the southern end for the test match next year. But nothing else happening other than that at the moment.

Pretty much. They're building a brand new media centre behind the goals at the southern end for the test match next year. But nothing else happening other than that at the moment.
There's going to be a test match next year?

Would be great. Should be 7 tests a summer with Canberra being the permanent city for the 7th.

Lol gotta love the pull the cricket has on government. For the odd single every few years test match and regular two odi's, the venue deserves a new media venue

Even as a Canberran, not sure I like this idea...GWS should not be running to Manuka to host finals games. They should have the courage of their convictions to host finals, and get 20k+ sellouts, at Spotless, because Western Sydney is where most of their growth should come from.

GWS Giants boss Dave Matthews has 'no doubt' Manuka Oval can host AFL finals

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/afl...oval-can-host-afl-finals-20170927-gyq96k.html

Even as a

Canberran, not sure I like this idea...GWS should not be running to Manuka to host finals games. They should have the courage of their convictions to host finals, and get 20k+ sellouts, at Spotless, because Western Sydney is where most of their growth should come from.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/afl...oval-can-host-afl-finals-20170927-gyq96k.html

Disagree, Canberra fans flock to every game, last non-sellout was the ANZAC eve twilight played in atrociously cold weather.
The Giants love playing here, the fans love watching football here, undoubtedly a win-win.

Even as a Canberran, not sure I like this idea...GWS should not be running to Manuka to host finals games. They should have the courage of their convictions to host finals, and get 20k+ sellouts, at Spotless, because Western Sydney is where most of their growth should come from.

I dont think it's lack of courage. He's just showing respect for our Canberra members and being inclusive.The WC final was disappointing and did show the stark reality of our fanbase in Sydney, without a big drawing opposition club or promo tickets. There's work to be done absolutely

I live in Sydney and come down for games. I would attend either but some finals at Manuka a good idea. It's as much a home ground advantage as Spotless and a great partisan crowd.
Just the toilet facilities are rubbish.

Canberra had it's own football park at one stage in Woden, bought by the league in the 1970's, sold off a few years ago.
Looks really good now, Cricket ACT have a new office there and new indoor nets. Nobody seems to play there though, but there does seem to be both footy and cricket training there. I think the 20th resurfacing in the last three years only finished a few months back. Seriously, as soon as it had grass on it they dug it up again many, many times.

I was out at Football Park yesterday. The Demons (NEAfl) are going to base out of there going forward. Even got function rooms back on top of the change rooms. It's not back to the 90s Glory days but it's a step forward.

I was out at Football Park yesterday. The Demons (NEAfl) are going to base out of there going forward. Even got function rooms back on top of the change rooms. It's not back to the 90s Glory days but it's a step forward.
As in Adelaide Football Park (AAMI Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back