Rumour Mackie to Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think we'd have to give up too much for him. We certainly have the cash considering Brown and Croad are off the books now as is Hoops although Hoops wouldn't have been on too much I would think.

This makes sense as we need some depth down back. He'd need to become a more hardened player though.

We need a KP defender.

Consider our losses/close wins this year and the opposition forward's output. In each of these games they kicked above their average.

R2 Geel - Mooney 4
R3 WB - Hall 6
R5 Nth - Hale 3
R6 Ess - Hurley 4
R7 WC - Kennedy 6
R8 Rich - Rieoldt 4
R9 Syd - White 3
R12 Adel - Tippet 4
R17 StK - Kozi 3
R18 Port - Schulz 4

A lot of these games were low scoring which highlights the importance of their games and the opposition coach's tactic of exploiting our weakness.

If we add one key defender like a Thursfield it will allow players like Gilham & co. to support and mop up more effectively like we were able to do when Croady was playing in 2008.

Mackie is not the answer.

You would think the cold hard facts you have listed above would put to rest any 'let's get Mackie talk' to rest ........along with fugu's earlier post. Some of those talls kicked their biggest bags against us this year but the HFC and some supporters appear to have forgotten this or have their head stuck in the sand.

Mackie / Goldsack / Thornton / Stratton / Gilham / Birchall peas in a pod.

We will probably get him though and be monstered again by talls in 2011.

Geelong are doing what we should be doing and that's going for more/upgraded draft picks, not trading for quick fix type players like mackie. We'd lose good draft picks for him, picks that could easily be used on players who'll be with us for longer and may even be better suited to our needs.

Geelong are doing what we should be doing and that's going for more/upgraded draft picks, not trading for quick fix type players like mackie. We'd lose good draft picks for him, picks that could easily be used on players who'll be with us for longer and may even be better suited to our needs.

I tend to agree. Either upgrade or unless something special comes along like a Mitch Clark, then trade the picks. Otherwise keep the picks and invest in the future.

Remember, we won a flag primarily from the draft. What we need to do is pick a couple of kids who turn out gems.

I tend to agree. Either upgrade or unless something special comes along like a Mitch Clark, then trade the picks. Otherwise keep the picks and invest in the future.

Remember, we won a flag primarily from the draft. What we need to do is pick a couple of kids who turn out gems.

Agree with this. We had 3 players from other clubs in our premiership team, the rest were from the draft. We already have 6 players from other clubs (Gilham, Guerra, Burgoyne, Gibson, Peterson* and Skipper), and adding Mackie (who is a handy player) won't do much to address our major weaknesses.

IMO we need to give Schoey the chance to develop into our big bodied KPD (or KPF if Roughie goes back) by playing him in one position, and give young guys with potential like Savage, Whitecross, Shiels, Lisle and Breust the chance to establish themselves.

As many have mentioned we have a surplus of his type but if we can get him for the Campbell Brown pick then I would seriously think about it. (No more than this because it sounds like he wants out from the Cats.) We could release both Birchall & Gibson further up the ground.
Mackie hasn't shown an ability to play on key forwards so I suspect he will struggle if asked to do this. However his experience could really help Shoenmakers develop into the key position defender we desperately need.
A lot of people don't rate him but you can't deny that Mackie does have significant currency on the open market. I really like his run and creative play. Ladson and a low pick would be ideal but the Cats will probably give us the finger if we offer this up. And whoever mentioned Young is crazy. He is on my untouchables list.
In the end, swapping Brown for Mackie is a win for us. Now if we could only snare Varcoe.

We need a KP defender.

Consider our losses/close wins this year and the opposition forward's output. In each of these games they kicked above their average.

R2 Geel - Mooney 4
R3 WB - Hall 6
R5 Nth - Hale 3
R6 Ess - Hurley 4
R7 WC - Kennedy 6
R8 Rich - Rieoldt 4
R9 Syd - White 3
R12 Adel - Tippet 4
R17 StK - Kozi 3
R18 Port - Schulz 4

A lot of these games were low scoring which highlights the importance of their games and the opposition coach's tactic of exploiting our weakness.

If we add one key defender like a Thursfield it will allow players like Gilham & co. to support and mop up more effectively like we were able to do when Croady was playing in 2008.

Mackie is not the answer.

Games in bold were played without Gibson. There was a noticeable difference in our ability to cope with talls with Gibson in the team.

Mackie would be a great fit for us IMO.

And guess what? He's a RIGHT footer!

We have become predictable out of the back half with Hodge, Guerra, Birchall, Gibson, Ladson, Ellis, and Schoenmakers all left footers. A backline though consisting of Gilham (R), Gibson (L), Guerra (L), Stratton (R), Murphy (R), Ellis (L) and Mackie (R) provides more versatility.

Where there smoke...........
This one's gaining real legs.
To many sources singing the same tune for their not to be an element of truth.

But again at what price? (a premiership hero)
Given Pelchin and Kennetts comments perhaps we've been into him for a while.

Without a doubt. Maybe an Osborne type player to allow Chapman to spend more time in the midfield.

As many have mentioned we have a surplus of his type but if we can get him for the Campbell Brown pick then I would seriously think about it. (No more than this because it sounds like he wants out from the Cats.) We could release both Birchall & Gibson further up the ground.
Mackie hasn't shown an ability to play on key forwards so I suspect he will struggle if asked to do this. However his experience could really help Shoenmakers develop into the key position defender we desperately need.
A lot of people don't rate him but you can't deny that Mackie does have significant currency on the open market. I really like his run and creative play. Ladson and a low pick would be ideal but the Cats will probably give us the finger if we offer this up. And whoever mentioned Young is crazy. He is on my untouchables list.
In the end, swapping Brown for Mackie is a win for us. Now if we could only snare Varcoe.

Only way that would happen is if we got Hodge and your first rounder in return;) Trav isn't going anywhere anytime soon

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As i stated earlier in the thread- i dont see a need for Mackie, but if this rumour is true then there is no way i would be giving up a bloody first round draft pick for him- or at least not our first pick. maybe the brown compo- because as it stands that sits in the mid 20's-which i would think would be about right.

i dont pretend to have good sources on here, but i do know an ex-SANFL player who now plays in the syd-afl up here who is a friend of Mackies from their junior days- he reckons Mackie is very warm to the idea. I wanted to slap him in the face. :eek: we already have ben stratton, do we seriously need- im mean think about it- NEED Mackie?

As i stated earlier in the thread- i dont see a need for Mackie, but if this rumour is true then there is no way i would be giving up a bloody first round draft pick for him- or at least not our first pick. maybe the brown compo- because as it stands that sits in the mid 20's-which i would think would be about right.

i dont pretend to have good sources on here, but i do know an ex-SANFL player who now plays in the syd-afl up here who is a friend of Mackies from their junior days- he reckons Mackie is very warm to the idea. I wanted to slap him in the face. :eek: we already have ben stratton, do we seriously need- im mean think about it- NEED Mackie?

Interesting...

Maybe we are looking at movie Birchall to the wing and have Mackie provide the drive?

Interesting...

Maybe we are looking at movie Birchall to the wing and have Mackie provide the drive?

Just as a disclaimer: i guess my prejudice stems from the idea that will mackie get in the way of development of, for arguments sake- Savage, whitex, riley milne- we have a number of players to groom into that role.

But specifically if we did recruit him- then you could definitely see Birch move to a wing position... and in theory i have no problem with that dynamic or style.

I keep reading that we have a heap of players already like Mackie, could some please name them. I can think of 1 in Birchall.

People are getting caught up in his height, and just categorizing him as third tall.

I think he will fill one of the many holes we have in our team. He provide run and carry out of defense, whilst being a pretty reasonable defender (something Birch is not). It was definitely something that we were lacking this year, a rebounding defender, a player that can provide a bit of dash out of defense.

If we have Mackie and Birch on our flanks, you will see the ball come out of our defense much easier than it does now.

It is a definite yes from me.

I cannot believe this thread is still going, Mackie is not going nowhere and has a 4 year contract with Geelong.

Move on

I agree

Mackie averages 77 Supercoach points, more than N Maxwell, R Shaw, Murphy, Gilham and about the same as Kennelly and Mattner.

I cannot believe this thread is still going, Mackie is not going nowhere and has a 4 year contract with Geelong.

Move on

There's nothing stopping a team (Gee) trading a contracted player to another club providing the contracted player agrees to the trade and new club.

He's welcome at Hawthorn as long as this summer he introduces himself to the benchpress for the first time in his career.

Hahaha first Thornton, now Mackie the Hackie???

So Pelch's "premiership model" now requires a 3rd, 4th, and 5th man up?
Stuff it, lets make a play for Chadwick Cornes, and coax Tom Harley out of retirement while we're at it.

Tis the silly season after all...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back