macca69

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 8, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
Thought I'd help to fill the void left by footydraft. Did something similar last year too (http://www.BigFooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201758). This may look a little different to what's been said on BF so far, but this is what I am predicting will happen at this stage. Would like to hear your thoughts on it too, cheers.

1. Carlton – Bryce Gibbs
2. Essendon – Mitchell Thorp
3. Kangas – Scott Gumbleton
4. Brisbane – Leroy Jetta
5. Port – James Sellar
6. Hawthorn – Matthew Leuenberger
7. Geelong – Lachlan Hansen
8. Richmond – Caleb Mourish
9. St Kilda – Albert Proud
10. Collingwood– Joel Selwood
11. Bulldogs – Jack Riewoldt
12. Melbourne – Clayton Collard
13. Freo – Clinton Benjamin
14. Adelaide – Kurt Tippett
15. Sydney – Tom Hislop
16. West Coast – Eric MacKenzie

17. Carlton – Daniel Connors
18. Essendon – Ben Reid

19. Carlton – Jarryd Allen
20. Essendon – Nathan Djerrkura
21. Kangaroos – Chris Schmidt
22. Brisbane – David Armitage
23. Port – Broc O’Brien
24. Hawthorn – Rhyce Prismall
25. Geelong – Jarrad Harbrow
26. Richmond – Nathan Krakouer
27. St Kilda – Andrejs Everitt
28. Collingwood – James Hawksley
29. Bulldogs – Tom Collier
30. Melbourne – Daniel O’Keefe
31. Freo – Bachar Houli
32. Sydney - Nathan Brown
33. Adelaide – Ricky Petterd
34. West Coast – Jarryd Morton

35. Carlton - Brent Renouf
36. Essendon – Gavin Urquart
37. Kangaroos - Gary Moss
38. Brisbane - James Frawley
39. Port – Todd Pfeiffer
40. Hawthorn – Joshua Kennedy
41. Geelong – Tom Hawkins
42. Richmond – Colin Garland
43. St Kilda – Grant Weeks
44. Collingwood – Travis Boak
45. Bulldogs – Jackson Sheringham
46. Melbourne – Mitchell Brown
47. Fremantle - Dean Kelly
48. Adelaide – Justin Westhoff
49. Sydney – Tom Hurley
50. West Coast – Alwyn Davey

Interesting draft. You've gone for something different. Mourish could be a big bolter. I don't know why Thorp is rated so high though. I think Thorp will slip. He's a bit risky IMO.

good effort Macca - I have done one also which I'll slip into this at some stage. We would differ on;

You really rate Jetta that highly

Nathan Krakouer - I think he will be rookied.

Nathan Brown - not sure he will drop that far

Congrats on Tippett - I got bagged for suggesting he would be a bolter a few months ago.

Ben Reid - I suspect i differ with many people - I dont think he will go that high. Closer to 30-50 for me.

Batsanis - post yesterday he would be in before Davey, Sheringham, Pfeiffer and Collier

Some I would have top 50 would be; McKay, Adams, Grigg and Mitch Brown

swap Thorp with Hansen...Hansen wont slide that far.

Snoop Dog said:
good effort Macca - I have done one also which I'll slip into this at some stage. We would differ on;

You really rate Jetta that highly

Nathan Krakouer - I think he will be rookied.

Nathan Brown - not sure he will drop that far

Congrats on Tippett - I got bagged for suggesting he would be a bolter a few months ago.

Ben Reid - I suspect i differ with many people - I dont think he will go that high. Closer to 30-50 for me.

Batsanis - post yesterday he would be in before Davey, Sheringham, Pfeiffer and Collier

Some I would have top 50 would be; McKay, Adams, Grigg and Mitch Brown

I think Jetta will appeal to a lot of clubs. Matthews has said he is looking for running mids and is happy with his KPP stocks IIRC. Aker, Voss, McGrath and Moody leaving will leave a huge hole to fill.

I'm tipping Kraks to bolt this year and is the sort of player Richmond go for. Could easily fall through to the rookie draft though.

I don't rate Reid all that highly, but I suspect he will appeal to clubs. Is very bottom age is tall and has great athleticism, someone will punt on him early, although other clubs may rate him much lower, same with Tippett also, have always been a fan of his.

Would not be surprised at all to see Brown go higher, but he's not the sort of player clubs tend to use early picks on though.

Batsanis is a fantastic player IMO and after the 2nd round it gets very hard. I think where he will go, will depend a lot on how he goes at state screening, I have him in my personal top 50 easily.

I rate the last 4 you mentioned, but again I have my doubts as to how the AFL clubs will rate them, this draft order will change a fair bit after Draft Camp I imagine.

irel said:
Well done for putting one out, but from a Brisbane perspective it's good to see that your record last year was 100% percent incorrect!

I remember with my first attempt last year I had Mitch Clark at 9, and ended up changing it because of what you said ;). In the end I think I was only a couple of picks off Matt Burgen (he got 5 and I got 3 or something like that).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's a fantastic draft Macca. Well done mate. :thumbsu:

Just quickly though, do you feel that the Hawks would overlooked Hansen to fill out problem at Full-Back over a talented young ruck in Leunberger? Did it just come down to who was the more talented of the two in your mind?

Good effort!

The tigers first 2 picks...mourish and krakouer...very risky IMO.

Have heard barely anything about mourish.

Surely we could do better with proud and selwood both going after our first pick, and everitt right after our second round pick.

Great effort, but I agree with a poster above that Hansen won't drop to 7. There has been some pretty fair stoushes on the Talking Carlton boards with a lot of posters going for Hansen over Gibbs. Now I haven't seen Hansen play but there are a few people who really rate him.

I like the composition (but not the order) of your top 14. From a Collingwood point of view, I couldn't see us using our first three picks on runners. We desperately need some key position and ruck prospects, and given that we don't appear to be one of those clubs that sticks rigidly to a 'best available' policy, that's what I'd expect us to be trying to nab in at least two of the first three picks.

SA Blue said:
Great effort, but I agree with a poster above that Hansen won't drop to 7. There has been some pretty fair stoushes on the Talking Carlton boards with a lot of posters going for Hansen over Gibbs. Now I haven't seen Hansen play but there are a few people who really rate him.

jimmy.h said:
I really can't see Hansen slipping wnough for us to pick him up. I'd love for it to happen but don't think it will.

Booms said:
swap Thorp with Hansen...Hansen wont slide that far.

He may not slide that far, but I think he will slide. There isn't much demand for key defenders these days and most clubs will be happy to pick up defenders later on in the draft, meaning Hansen may slide. After a bit of thought I realised he is spot on. There are very few good CHBs going around these days. Fremantle moved McPharlin forward because they thought he would be more useful up forward, Port moved Chad Cornes into the midfield because they thought he'd offer 'em more in there, Hunter's playing forward for the Eagles. And the two vying for AA were Bowden and Whitnall. The better sides don't have dominant CHBs these days, which may well see Hansen slide.

This, I think, is brought about by the lack of dominant CHF's in todays game. Jonathan Brown is the only genuine CHF who takes contested pack marks. Most clubs have one key forward playing a position between CHF and FF. Tredrea, Hall, Pavlich, Lynch etc all play this role. Other clubs have lead-up CHF types in Riewoldt, Hansen, etc which means there aren't a lot f genuine CHB's because they struggle for matchups at AFL level. Your better off using picks later on in the draft for key defenders IMO.

macca69 said:
I remember with my first attempt last year I had Mitch Clark at 9, and ended up changing it because of what you said ;). In the end I think I was only a couple of picks off Matt Burgen (he got 5 and I got 3 or something like that).

I don't know what I may have said but I will state once again that "Brisbane has historically taken the Best Available with the first two picks irrespective of position played, size, shape, perceived needs and requirements"
If you check last years BF draft I selected Mitch Clark with pick 9, so I have no idea what you are talking about.

Also, Leigh did not say he will be drafting "speedy midfielders". He said the club will be looking for pace and skill in recruiting for players. They don't necessarily have to be midfielders. "Pace and Skill" Macca. But remember Best Available with the first two picks. Don't try to second guess club's needs or comments from officials.

Palmer Stoat said:
I like the composition (but not the order of your top 14). From a Collingwood point of view, I couldn't see us using our first three picks on runners. We desperately need some key position and ruck prospects, and given that we don't appear to be one of those clubs that sticks rigidly to a 'best available' policy, that's what I'd expect us to be trying to nab in at least two of the first three picks.

ok very good point :thumbsu:. I do remember in Mick's West Coast days he didn't seem to pick the best available and it tended to get us into trouble, hope for you guys sake he has learned from his mistakes.

irel said:
I don't know what I may have said but I will state once again that "Brisbane has historically taken the Best Available with the first two picks irrespective of position played, size, shape, perceived needs and requirements"
If you check last years BF draft I selected Mitch Clark with pick 9, so I have no idea what you are talking about.

Also, Leigh did not say he will be drafting "speedy midfielders". He said the club will be looking for pace and skill in recruiting for players. They don't necessarily have to be midfielders. "Pace and Skill" Macca. But remember Best Available with the first two picks. Don't try to second guess club's needs or comments from officials.

Not trying to be a smart-arse or anything, but not only did you say Mitch Clark was unlikely, you justification was a comment from a Brisbane official.

"Brisbane - Mitchell Clark - unlikely.
Beatson was interviewed on Melb. radio this morning. He did not seem to be suggesting that Clark is in Brisbane’s plans."

macca69 said:
Thought I'd help to fill the void left by footydraft. Did something similar last year too (http://www.BigFooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201758). This may look a little different to what's been said on BF so far, but this is what I am predicting will happen at this stage. Would like to hear your thoughts on it too, cheers.

1. Carlton – Bryce Gibbs
2. Essendon – Mitchell Thorp
4. Brisbane – Leroy Jetta
5. Port – James Sellar
6. Hawthorn – Matthew Leuenberger
7. Geelong – Lachlan Hansen
10. Collingwood– Joel Selwood
11. Bulldogs – Jack Riewoldt
14. Adelaide – Kurt Tippett
15. Sydney – Tom Hislop
16. West Coast – Eric MacKenzie

18. Essendon – Ben Reid

19. Carlton – Jarryd Allen
20. Essendon – Nathan Djerrkura
21. Kangaroos – Chris Schmidt
22. Brisbane – David Armitage
23. Port – Broc O’Brien
24. Hawthorn – Rhyce Prismall
25. Geelong – Jarrad Harbrow
26. Richmond – Nathan Krakouer
27. St Kilda – Andrejs Everitt
28. Collingwood – James Hawksley
29. Bulldogs – Tom Collier
30. Melbourne – Daniel O’Keefe
31. Freo – Bachar Houli
32. Sydney - Nathan Brown
33. Adelaide – Ricky Petterd
34. West Coast – Jarryd Morton

35. Carlton - Brent Renouf
36. Essendon – Gavin Urquart
37. Kangaroos - Gary Moss
38. Brisbane - James Frawley
39. Port – Todd Pfeiffer
40. Hawthorn – Joshua Kennedy
41. Geelong – Tom Hawkins
42. Richmond – Colin Garland
43. St Kilda – Grant Weeks
44. Collingwood – Travis Boak
45. Bulldogs – Jackson Sheringham
46. Melbourne – Mitchell Brown
47. Fremantle - Dean Kelly
48. Adelaide – Justin Westhoff
49. Sydney – Tom Hurley
50. West Coast – Alwyn Davey

1. Carlton – Bryce Gibbs :thumbsu:
2. Essendon – Mitchell Thorp will drop down (Hansen will probably be
picked here)
4. Brisbane – Leroy Jetta will drop down (Selwood might be picked
here)
5. Port – James Sellar :thumbsdown: no way will Port pick sellar here (their
choices will probably be Thorp or Reiwoldt or Selwood)
6. Hawthorn – Matthew Leuenberger :thumbsu:
7. Geelong – Lachlan Hansen (will b picked by Essendon might pick the
best midfielder Jetta ? seeing how they have Hawkins)
10. Collingwood– Joel Selwood (too low a pick fall here)
11. Bulldogs – Jack Riewoldt (would be on the Power radar if Thorp is
already picked)
14. Adelaide – Kurt Tippett (or maybe Sellar ? as the crows need a
ruckman)
15. Sydney – Tom Hislop
16. West Coast – Eric MacKenzie (probably be the right pick)

18. Essendon – Ben Reid (why would essendon want another tall KKP
forward ?? they might probably get a midfielder here)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back