avishka5

150 game legend.
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Zombie Lover
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast
Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 7.13.26 PM.png

Been a massive fan of him over the years but also have been a bit of a critic. IMO this was a break out year for shuey. It was a year he looked elite (still not prepared to call him elite). Statistically nearly every part of his game was up from the previous years. This year was also the first time i have seen him not rely on priddis as heavily. He went and won more of his own ball and looked much more comfortable inside with heat on him and looked like the leader in the midfield.. Pitty that he only received 10 votes but i have a feeling he will poll much better next year.
Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 7.12.11 PM.png

Shuey's top 3 games.

rnd 21 V GWS-38 disposals (23 contested possessions), 2 goals, 6 tackles and 13 clearances. In my eyes this was a game of first for boots. it was the first time he has turned a 30 possession big game into a +35 possession huge game. it was also game we have all been waiting for. Its the first game where he broke a game apart and lead us to victory and boy it came in a good time for us against a great opposition. I hope this isn't a once in a full moon type game and he produces more of these in the coming years.

rnd 15 v Ess-27 disposals (13 contested possessions), 1 goals and 11 clearances in 65% game time. This was on of my favourite games of him this season. He ripped the bombers apart in minimal game time and could have gone on to have a massive game if simmo didn't sit him out in the last 10 mins.

rnd 4 v Richmond-22 disposals(11 contested possessions), 2 goals, 9 tackles and 8 clearances. It was a trade mark shuey, it was a low possession but high impact game. he had 22 possessions where he operated above 90% DE and tore richmond a new one with his elite footskils and burst of speed.

http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/video/2016-09-28/2016-player-review-luke-shuey
Hopefully next year he takes his game to the next level and becomes more of an accumilator and break/win games for us on a consistent basis. I also believe he is our number one man in the middle as priddis's career is coming to an end. Its now who is supporter Shuey, rather than who is supporting Priddis.

Been a massive fan of him over the years but also have been a bit of a critic. IMO this was a break out year for shuey.
It was a year he looked elite (still not prepared to call him elite)

281.gif

In my defence I wrote shuey off at the start of the year of ever being elite or thereabouts. He then went on to have this sort of year. Bit of reverse psychology there.

In my defence I wrote shuey off at the start of the year of ever being elite or thereabouts. He then went on to have this sort of year. Bit of reverse psychology there.

Im glad you brought that up before I did. You didnt have much love for Shuey early this year. Maybe you just expected more of him or knew he had more to give.

Plug him into any of the top tier mids in the league and he would be mind blowing with what he could achieve. Hes stuck carrying our sack of potatoes on his shoulders every game.

Learnt how to beat a tag and stand up in the big matches. Shuey is now consistent and a known quantity. My favourite player by a mile.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is from the 2016 player review from the club website:

Shuey achieved career highs in disposals, tackles, rebound 50s, clearances, goal assists, contested possessions and uncontested possessions to establish himself as one of the Eagles' most influential players. At the end of season 2016 he was ranked 22nd for total disposals, fourth for clearances, fourth for tackles, 10th for contested possessions and fourth for goal assists in the AFL, the highest of any midfielder in the competition.

Still received only 10 Brownlow votes.

What is with the obsession over this abstract concept of 'elite'?

It was a year he looked elite (still not prepared to call him elite).

I don't understand the point of making such a subtle differentiation.

You might as well say that Shuey has good pace but that you are still not prepared to say he has great pace.

Shuey so damn dynamic.

Been waiting a long time for him to get to this level. He's well and truly Elite now. Has had a great coupe of seasons.

Our No.1 Mid. Our most impacting mid we've had since Judd/Cousins/Kerr.

Imagine Naitanui Judd Cousins Kerr Shuey as a midfield lineup.

We need to win a premiership in the next 3 years while Shuey is at his peak.

He really needs support! Priddis is shit.

This is from the 2016 player review from the club website:

Shuey achieved career highs in disposals, tackles, rebound 50s, clearances, goal assists, contested possessions and uncontested possessions to establish himself as one of the Eagles' most influential players. At the end of season 2016 he was ranked 22nd for total disposals, fourth for clearances, fourth for tackles, 10th for contested possessions and fourth for goal assists in the AFL, the highest of any midfielder in the competition.

Still received only 10 Brownlow votes.

I set fire to AFL house but this storm put it out.

What is with the obsession over this abstract concept of 'elite'?

I don't understand the point of making such a subtle differentiation.

You might as well say that Shuey has good pace but that you are still not prepared to say he has great pace.
Just because he has GOOD pace doesn't mean he has GREAT pace to be fair.

I'd say it's more like saying that Shuey has great pace but that you are still not prepared to say he has great pace.

(Yes, I know it was unintentional)

View attachment 294061

Been a massive fan of him over the years but also have been a bit of a critic. IMO this was a break out year for shuey. It was a year he looked elite (still not prepared to call him elite). Statistically nearly every part of his game was up from the previous years. This year was also the first time i have seen him not rely on priddis as heavily. He went and won more of his own ball and looked much more comfortable inside with heat on him and looked like the leader in the midfield.. Pitty that he only received 10 votes but i have a feeling he will poll much better next year.
View attachment 294060

Shuey's top 3 games.

rnd 21 V GWS-38 disposals (23 contested possessions), 2 goals, 6 tackles and 13 clearances. In my eyes this was a game of first for boots. it was the first time he has turned a 30 possession big game into a +35 possession huge game. it was also game we have all been waiting for. Its the first game where he broke a game apart and lead us to victory and boy it came in a good time for us against a great opposition. I hope this isn't a once in a full moon type game and he produces more of these in the coming years.

rnd 15 v Ess-27 disposals (13 contested possessions), 1 goals and 11 clearances in 65% game time. This was on of my favourite games of him this season. He ripped the bombers apart in minimal game time and could have gone on to have a massive game if simmo didn't sit him out in the last 10 mins.

rnd 4 v Richmond-22 disposals(11 contested possessions), 2 goals, 9 tackles and 8 clearances. It was a trade mark shuey, it was a low possession but high impact game. he had 22 possessions where he operated above 90% DE and tore richmond a new one with his elite footskils and burst of speed.

http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/video/2016-09-28/2016-player-review-luke-shuey
Hopefully next year he takes his game to the next level and becomes more of an accumilator and break/win games for us on a consistent basis. I also believe he is our number one man in the middle as priddis's career is coming to an end. Its now who is supporter Shuey, rather than who is supporting Priddis.
He polled brownlow votes in one of these games... #joke
I'm still bitter that he ruined my multi

View attachment 294061

From what i remember, Since the AFL started recording player scores (or what ever its called) it was ranked the 16th best game. That means it was a 1/4000~ game. So i wouldn't expect that output all the time :p

Was expecting him to spend more time resting up forward this year actually. Very good season that got better at the end. That GWS game is hopefully a sign that he's prepared to put the team on his back more. If so, I'll expect some definite improvement from the mids around him simply from him taking the pressure off. He's hitting his prime years!

I know this is random, but I was looking up Shuey's career stats tonight and couldn't help but reflect on his career thus far.

LUKE Shuey makes it sound like a shopping list. The osteitis pubis, then the broken leg, then the hernia operation, then the other hernia operation. When he thought it was over, it wasn't: when he was almost ready to return from a knee injury last year, the West Coast onballer woke up with a cold, couldn't shake it, struggled to get out of bed in the mornings and was diagnosed with glandular fever.

It was never easy for Luke, from the very beginning. The below would have destroyed most young men his age, fresh from leaving home. I think about my own younger sister and I doubt I could have had the strength to keep going, let alone develop into what Luke has -

Two months after he moved to Perth, and two weeks after he was ruled out of training for six weeks due to his groin injury, Shuey received a late-night phone call from his father, David. His 17-year-old sister, Mel, had been killed, hit by a motorcyclist as she crossed a darkened street near their home in Melbourne's northern suburbs, and all of a sudden Shuey knew there were more important things to worry about than being unable to play football. West Coast sent him home, told him to be there for as long as he needed, and he stayed for six weeks. He spoke at his sister's funeral, he made sure his parents were all right, he spent time with his friends, and he decided it was time to go back.

Now, after making it through so much, he is one of the most courageous and loved Eagles on our list. In fact, I'd go so far as to say he is probably only rivalled by Cousins, Naitanui, Worsfold and a few other select few to be so universally adored by the fans. He is the barometer for the team and is now at a point in his career where he lifts the entire team with selfless acts and sheer determination to be the one to make the crucial pass, win the contested ball, commit to the vital one percenter.

We take his brilliance for granted a bit now, as it happens so often, but I know that we all love the Shue, and that he will always have a place in our blue and gold hearts. Let's hope that he gets some AA recognition if he keeps this form up and that he gets another chance at the ultimate glory. If he does, I reckon that it will be him holding the cup with Simmo on that glorious stage.

Shue. :hearts:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/the-shuey-struggle-20110528-1f9w9.html

Elite season by Shue. Not only is he dominating for longer but finished games strongly and steps up when we need him to. He is now elite in my eyes. Tonight is an example of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back