Losing will help us?

Remove this Banner Ad

Ando727

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
Now that I'm getting over the frustration of losing two games by under a goal, I've been think that this kind of disappointment might be the best thing for us at this stage.

If we had won those games and continued to play on a high and somehow sneaked into the 8, I tend to think it would not be good for such a young and developing group. It could easily result in a false sense of confidence that would probably lead to a backslide next year.

Losing these close arm-wrestle type games provides some confidence that we can match it with good teams but also reminds us that we still have a lot of work to do to get real toughness and mongrel into our game. I tend to think that regular losses of this kind are motivators rather than confidence breakers and a few more like this might be just what we need to steel ourselves for the years ahead when we should emerge as real contenders.

Historically we have had a tendency to play well one year and terribly the next. Perhaps this is because too much of our game was based on confidence based on being on a charmed run, rather than real belief. When we hit finals, our lack of belief and steel has often been very evident. I think this year could instill some real belief in where we are headed but also the losses will keep our feet on the ground and remind us that we still need a lot of work.

I'll still always hope for a win, but in cold analysis, I think this is exactly what we need at this point (narrow losses, not thrashings which decimate confidence). Hopefully we will get enough wins and heartbreaking losses to just miss the 8 and then we'll come out hungrier than ever next year when we have more chance to actually impact the finals. I also think a more gradual rise to the top will instill more confidence in our supporters and members, rather than feeling that every year is a flip of a coin.

Any thoughts?

I think the best result for us would be to make the 8 and get our young players a chance to play a final and that means winning more games like Friday's. I think that experience would be invaluable for younger players and a just reward for the older guys who are bringing them through and have been through the last 3 years. I think Bailey will give opportunities to more players though, with his ethos of getting games into recruits. Blease, Watts, Gysberts will definately get a look in with Strauss, Bail, Wona, Cheney, Jurrah all a chance later on.

But the whole theory on 'building a winning culture' is rubbish IMO. People on BF were saying how West Coast were flying at the end of last year and it was good for a 'winning culture'. Rubbish. Good sides win games of footy. You don't just win a few games a build a culture that just makes you more likely to get up each week. Good sides win because they are well drilled, have the discipline to perform each week and have good depth. So I think we would prefer to win at this stage, we lost enough in 07,08 and 09.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back