Teams Los Angeles Rams - The Rammers

Remove this Banner Ad

Liam Coen excited to “go back and learn” as Rams OC

Posted by Myles Simmons on February 28, 2022, 9:37 AM EST

Being the Rams’ offensive coordinator under Sean McVay has been a good launching pad.

Matt LaFleur held the position in 2017 and became the Packers’ head coach in 2019 after going to the Titans for a year to call plays. Now Kevin O’Connell has become the Vikings head coach after a two-year stint as McVay’s OC.

So now the position belongs to Liam Coen, who is returning to L.A. for his second stint with the franchise. He was previously the Rams’ assistant receivers coach in 2018-2019 and the team’s assistant QBs coach in 2020. He spent the 2021 season at Kentucky as the program’s offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach. As detailed by Jeff Howe of TheAthletic.com, Coen had options for different positions this offseason — including the Saints, who requested to interview him to be their offensive coordinator.

But Coen told Howe that if he was going to leave Kentucky, he was only interested in getting back to the Rams.

“I’m really excited about going back and learning,” Coen said. “You don’t just learn from Sean. You learn from every single coach in the building. At any given moment, you can walk into an office and learn something. I’m really excited to go back and learn.

Though he had left the staff, Coen continued to talk with McVay regularly during the 2021 season at Kentucky while implementing the offensive scheme. And given that Coen was on the Rams’ offensive staff before, the transition should be fairly seamless heading into 2022 as L.A. tries to defend its Super Bowl title.

And if the Rams continue to sustain success as they have since McVay arrived, it’s not much of a stretch to think Coen will be in line for an NFL head coaching job sooner than later.

GARY KLEIN
STAFF WRITEr latimes.com
APRIL 19, 2022
He led the NFL in receptions, yards receiving and touchdown catches. And he put an exclamation point on his record-setting season by scoring twice in the Rams’ Super Bowl victory over the Cincinnati Bengals.
Now, in wake of the recent spike in salaries for players at his position, does Cooper Kupp expect to haul in a new contract that will make him the league’s highest-paid receiver?
“I don’t think that’s really kind of the approach that I take,” Kupp said Tuesday during a videoconference with reporters. “I definitely think there’s a place that you want to be. ... I’m not trying to beat anybody. I’m not trying to compare myself to anyone else.
“It’s more of just being in a place that is just right for both sides.”

Before the 2020 season, Kupp signed a three-year, $48-million extension. He is due to carry a salary-cap number of $18.7 million in the upcoming season, according to overthecap.com.

But Kupp’s impending payday has been bolstered by a surge in big contracts signed by wide receivers such as Tyreek Hill.

In March, the Miami Dolphins traded for Hill and then gave him a four-year extension that reportedly includes a record $72.2 million in guarantees — and could be worth as much as $120 million. Davante Adams of the Las Vegas Raiders, Brandin Cooks of the Houston Texans and Stefon Diggs of the Buffalo Bills also have cashed in.

“Excited for those guys and the opportunities that they’re getting,” Kupp said. “Certainly, you’ve got to be excited about just the markets, and how they change and what they did for a position group that I think has kind of been stale for a little bit.

GARY KLEIN
STAFF WRITEr latimes.com
APRIL 21, 2022
It was a remarkable comeback with something of a storybook ending.
Less than six months after suffering an Achilles injury that sidelined him for nearly the entire season, Rams running back Cam Akers returned just before the playoffs and helped his team make a run to a Super Bowl title.
Akers was happy to win a championship — “It’s been cool; everything you can imagine,” he said Thursday — but he was not overly impressed with his performance.
“I don’t feel like I played the best games throughout that time span,” he said during a videoconference with reporters, “so there wasn’t really a lot of celebrating for me.
“It was more, ‘How can I get better?’ ”

Akers, 22, is aiming to play a full season in 2022, when the Rams will try to become the first team to repeat as Super Bowl champions since the New England Patriots achieved the feat in the 2003 and 2004 seasons.

Akers and fourth-year pro Darrell Henderson are the projected top running backs for a team that has not moved to re-sign free agent Sony Michel. The Rams on Thursday completed their first week of offseason workouts.

After several notable performances as a rookie in 2020, Akers had prepared for the 2021 season with high expectations.

But last July, on the eve of training camp, Akers suffered a torn right Achilles, a setback that typically would sideline a player for the entire season.

Akers, however, returned for the season finale against the San Francisco 49ers, and he carried the ball five times for three yards in a 27-24 defeat.

In four postseason games, Akers averaged nearly 17 carries and 43 yards per game but did not score a touchdown. He fumbled twice in an NFC divisional-round victory over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

In the 23-20 Super Bowl victory. over the Cincinnati Bengals, Akers rushed for 21 yards in 13 carries, and caught three passes for 14 yards.

“I don’t feel like I played my best games the five games I returned, but I did what I was supposed to do,” he said. “But obviously that’s not enough.”

Akers said he began working on his craft again a few days after the Super Bowl.

“I got a lot to improve on, a lot to polish up on when it comes to my game,” he said. “So, this offseason I’ve been hitting all of those deficits trying to get better.”

The Athletic's Jourdan Rodrigue reports Van Jefferson is "100% healthy" after undergoing a cleanup procedure on his knee at the end of last season.​

As reported by Rodrigue, Jefferson played through a knee injury late in the season and throughout the playoffs. After undergoing surgery at the end of the season, Jefferson rehabbed for much of the spring and is now ready for training camp. The Rams didn't re-sign veteran wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. this offseason, but went out and acquired Allen Robinson via free agency. Jefferson is likely to serve as the team's WR3 this season, and won't offer much more than WR4 upside in fantasy.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Rams LB Travin Howard will undergo core muscle surgery, but has a "solid chance" to be ready for the season.​

Howard is scheduled to undergo "core muscle surgery" from sports hernia expert Dr. William Meyers. Howard reportedly injured his groin during an off-site training session, as he now hopes to be ready by Week 1. The Rams brought Howard back on a one-year deal earlier this offseason after he served as the team's starting linebacker in four games -- including two playoff contests.

The Athletic's Jourdan Rodrigue reports Rams C Brian Allen is "healthy and ready to go" after the veteran sat out spring practices as a precautionary measure.​

Allen missed all of the 2020 season while recovering from a knee injury that brought his 2019 to an end. He appeared in 16-of-17 regular season games for the Rams last season and was healthy throughout the team's Super Bowl run, and is expected to be a full participant in training camp. The Rams signed Allen to a three-year, $24 million contract this offseason as the team looks to repeat as Super Bowl champs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rams placed RB Kyren Williams (foot) on the active/PUP list.​

Williams, whom the Rams traded up for in the fifth round of April's draft, broke his foot in rookie minicamp and continues to rehab that injury. His status for Week 1 is up in the air. The Rams will deploy a Cam Akers-Darrell Henderson backfield to begin the season.

Rams placed CB Jalen Ramsey (shoulder) on the active/PUP list.​

Ramsey underwent June shoulder surgery, though it was said to be a minor, clean-up procedure after the All-Pro corner revealed he played more than half of last season with dual AC joint sprains in his shoulders. He's still expected to be ready in time for Week 1 against the Bills.

Podcast episode of ESPN Daily that explores the impact of coaching on Sean McVay and why he was close to calling it quits after the Superbowl.

Rams GM Les Snead hinted undrafted WR Lance McCutcheon could make the 53-man roster.​

The 23-year-old rookie out of small-school Montana State caught 15 balls for 259 yards and two scores this summer. "Lance is doing his part to make it easy," Snead said. "(Coach Sean McVay) likes his receivers, so it’s OK to have as many as possible." McCutcheon won't be re-draft relevant but cracking the Rams' roster would make him worth a gander in Dynasty leagues.

Rams GM Les Snead hinted undrafted WR Lance McCutcheon could make the 53-man roster.​

The 23-year-old rookie out of small-school Montana State caught 15 balls for 259 yards and two scores this summer. "Lance is doing his part to make it easy," Snead said. "(Coach Sean McVay) likes his receivers, so it’s OK to have as many as possible." McCutcheon won't be re-draft relevant but cracking the Rams' roster would make him worth a gander in Dynasty leagues.
Certainly has a good case to make. Looked really nice in preseason, especially against the Chargers with 2 TD’s

Certainly has a good case to make. Looked really nice in preseason, especially against the Chargers with 2 TD’s

Yeah, one of the biggest surprises of the preseason. I think he should make the roster. Doubt he gets much immediate playing time but absolutely worth developing for the near future.

Yeah, one of the biggest surprises of the preseason. I think he should make the roster. Doubt he gets much immediate playing time but absolutely worth developing for the near future.
100%

Rams announced they have extended head coach Sean McVay and GM Les Snead through the 2026 season.​

The extensions of McVay and Snead were announced in early August, but we now know that both will remain under contract with the team through 2026. McVay and Snead orchestrated a Super Bowl run last season for the Rams, and now look to defend their title this season. Under McVay, the Rams are 55-26 with a 7-3 record in the playoffs that includes two Super Bowl appearances. McVay and the Rams kickoff their title defense on Thursday night against the Bills in Los Angeles.

Rams signed RT Rob Havenstein to a three-year, $34.5 million contract extension.​

Havenstein was set to enter 2022 on the final year of a four-year contract but is now locked in through the 2025 season. He's reportedly set to earn $24.1 million guaranteed on this new deal, with $6 million in incentives also getting baked into his contract. The veteran right tackle has been a mainstay on the Rams' offensive line since the team selected him in the second round of the 2015 NFL Draft. Last season, Havenstein appeared in 15 regular season games for the Rams last season and has missed two games in the last two seasons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back