Streaming Lord of the Rings: Rings of Power - Amazon Lord of the Rings prequel due early September 2022

Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

A role so good Joseph Mawle got out of there as fast as he could.

Probably against the show rules to have an interesting subplot. I thought that was the only part that wasn't horrid, an insight into orc subculture, twisted elves, fear of the sun etc.

For those posting don't watch it rah, understand that we wanted it to be good - really - and it just wasn't.

Even the "super fans" Amazon paid to shill it didn't watch it.

Yeah but there are a large number of Tolkien super fans that don't like the Lord of the Rings films either. Nothing anybody does can satisfy them.

Yeah but there are a large number of Tolkien super fans that don't like the Lord of the Rings films either. Nothing anybody does can satisfy them.

Not sure I would equate those who were unhappy with the films with those who were not happy with this series.

The films aren't perfect but they were an amazing effort from all concerned.

I loved it. What was everyones issue with it?
I think there was heightened expectations from it being an adaptation of Tolkien and the obscene amount of money invested in it, so it had to be excellent to meet those expectations. Simply said, good enough wouldn't be good enough.

Some of the issues I found with it were:
  • Too black-and-white in terms of good vs evil. Moral ambiguity is so much more interesting.
  • Galadriel felt a bit too one-note to be compelling as the protagonist.
  • Some of the dialogue was pretty clunky and didn't give the actors much to play with. Compared to something like Game Of Thrones, it was a pretty stark (pun definitely intended) contrast.
  • There were some out-of-character decisions that only existed to move the plot where they needed it to go. That happens in every show to an extent, but there seemed like a lot more in this.

Me too, the haters will continue to watch, and then tell us how much they hate it.

Just don't watch mate!
I agree that hate-watchers are pretty boring, but there's a lot of people that genuinely want to love the show, but don't find that it has lived up to expectations. Lots of shows can sometimes take time to find their feet, so I can understand why people who obviously aren't enjoying it are persevering. Even the makers of the show have talked about where they need to improve, so I imagine there will still be a lot of people watching in hope of Season 2 being an improvement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back