List Mgmt. List changes, contract status and key dates - 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

There was no guarantee Joe was going to stand up last year. No one else wanted him. He'd well and truly run his race at Essendon and I doubt he would've played at all if he had to stay there.

Other clubs and the media are just peeved that he could be a success story.

May be we'll take the 2 year extension off the table and present it at the end of this year? or is that still a no-no? would you be happy if I present it early next year? when is a good time to get your bloody blessing? Stupid journo Damo at his finest.

There was a suggestion from Jon Ralph on Couch that Buddy's FA deal is the only one the AFL has been really vigilant on not allowing to be changed or smoothed. Not sure this is correct reporting which is quite an exclusive, or Ralph being wrong.

No confirmation whether or not Joe's extension involves any changes to his first 3 years. The conclusion/opinion was that the AFL was 'communicating' with us but not investigating, and nothing expected to come of it.
That’s very well known, it’s not an exclusive and Ralph is correct.

yup, the AFL at the time (Demitriou?) made a big deal about saying even if Buddy retired he would still count against the cap for the full contract, etc. They've never said anything other than generic comments about any other free agent signing

The Daniher deal was also a great outcome for the AFL. A big and influential Melbourne based club got excellent compensation and a small interstate club got a big name in an emerging footy market. That's almost exactly the perfect scenario for the AFL (only improved if Joe went to the Suns).

I'm confident that the arrangement is not illegal. I'm also confident we and Joe knew at the time of the FA transfer that there was a very good chance he'd be offered another deal at some point if his body held up. As long as nothing was committed to between the parties, then it's play on, which the AFL will be keen to see happen.

Sounds like they're a bit pissed Joe has managed to deliver what he has over last year. VFL must've thought we got a dud deal here and locked up our salary cap, to their horror Joe's body held up and he kicked 46 goals for us. Just kicking up a stink now with a non-story.

Sounds like they're a bit pissed Joe has managed to deliver what he has over last year. VFL must've thought we got a dud deal here and locked up our salary cap, to their horror Joe's body held up and he kicked 46 goals for us. Just kicking up a stink now with a non-story.

Exactly. Who'd have complained about an extension if be played 5-10 games and struggled? Not that we'd have extended him if he did.

yup, the AFL at the time (Demitriou?) made a big deal about saying even if Buddy retired he would still count against the cap for the full contract, etc. They've never said anything other than generic comments about any other free agent signing

That they were having a hissy fit about the Buddy deal is well known and reported for ages - but the bit that I didn't think was correct was the suggestion that it was only the buddy FA deal that they have bothered to prevent from being extended or re-done to smooth the money over.

The implication was that the AFL has allowed other FA deal to have money moved around which is quite shocking. I'm pretty sure most people who pay heaps of attention to this stuff on bigfooty don't think this is allowed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back