News Lions kits and supporter gear discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

The Maccas logo for the last couple seasons is full cringe, can we just have a couple of major sponsors on our kit and charge them more for it, 5 sponsors looks so cluttered & tacky.

awaw.gif

You need the abs of an alf player to wear that - big target for those of us who have perhaps eaten a little too much for a little too long.

They seriously need to get a clothing designer input with these designs. The patterns are great just the layout combination falls flat for me.

You need the abs of an alf player to wear that - big target for those of us who have perhaps eaten a little too much for a little too long.

They seriously need to get a clothing designer input with these designs. The patterns are great just the layout combination falls flat for me.
There has been 1 Indigenous guernsey I have liked over the last few years and I bought that one, wear it over a Polo shirt when we go to the Gabba, wont be buying this one.

There has been 1 Indigenous guernsey I have liked over the last few years and I bought that one, wear it over a Polo shirt when we go to the Gabba, wont be buying this one.
I appreciate these jumpers for what they are, and as someone that doesn’t buy nor wear footy jumpers, I tend to agree and overall think all jumpers not just Lions ones are too busy and are like art pieces related to footy and then stuck on a footy jumper. Obviously there is meaning to the indigenous lads but I find rolling this out annually to be a bit excessive to the point they’ve lost meaning. I’m hoping that the noise around clubs wearing retro jumpers in Gather around takes off.

On another note, interesting to hear that the Suns are changing their permanent jumper and potentially colours too and going for a complete re-brand. Was on one of the programs last night. Probably wrong thread for that discussion but interesting, personally I hope they just merge with North and become the Gold Coast Kangaroos and we can be done with going out to 20 teams and cap it at 18.

I appreciate these jumpers for what they are, and as someone that doesn’t buy nor wear footy jumpers, I tend to agree and overall think all jumpers not just Lions ones are too busy and are like art pieces related to footy and then stuck on a footy jumper. Obviously there is meaning to the indigenous lads but I find rolling this out annually to be a bit excessive to the point they’ve lost meaning. I’m hoping that the noise around clubs wearing retro jumpers in Gather around takes off.

On another note, interesting to hear that the Suns are changing their permanent jumper and potentially colours too and going for a complete re-brand. Was on one of the programs last night. Probably wrong thread for that discussion but interesting, personally I hope they just merge with North and become the Gold Coast Kangaroos and we can be done with going out to 20 teams and cap it at 18.
You must have missed this news

I honestly reckon an NT team would be a disaster; apologies if I offend don’t mean to but who’d want to be drafted there and I reckon most 18 year olds could stomach being drafted to most places, I’m just not sure NT would be one of them. Kangaroos should’ve just re-located to Gold Coast when they had there chance and like Fitzroy missed re-locating to Brisbane when the Bears came in and end up merging with them, the same should occur with North and Suns. Most club presidents want the league capped at 18 which I agree with.

Darwin only has a population of 132,000(all of NT 246,000) which is nowhere near enough to sustain an AFL team, Darwin Crocodiles at least 2 decades away.
Concerns about their home matches. Current temperature in Darwin 28.1⁰ and 79% humidity. 10:20pm in May. Sure games at the Gabba in early March are warm but not to this extent, and only for a couple of weeks.

I honestly reckon an NT team would be a disaster; apologies if I offend don’t mean to but who’d want to be drafted there and I reckon most 18 year olds could stomach being drafted to most places, I’m just not sure NT would be one of them. Kangaroos should’ve just re-located to Gold Coast when they had there chance and like Fitzroy missed re-locating to Brisbane when the Bears came in and end up merging with them, the same should occur with North and Suns. Most club presidents want the league capped at 18 which I agree with.
I agree no need to have a team in the NT.
I also don't think the Tasmania team support in Tasmania will be successful.
Both will drain the talent pool and the corporate dollar you need to survive.
FTA TV money may start to dry up come the next contract time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kangaroos should’ve just re-located to Gold Coast when they had there chance ....the same should occur with North and Suns.

Disagree. North made the right decision for their supporters and members. A merger with the Suns or a relocation for North to wherever is simply not going to happen.

The AFL is headed for 20 clubs, very possibly by sometime between 2031-2035. The question is where will that 20th club be.

Disagree. North made the right decision for their supporters and members. A merger with the Suns or a relocation for North to wherever is simply not going to happen.

The AFL is headed for 20 clubs, very possibly by sometime between 2031-2035. The question is where will that 20th club be.
ACT makes more sense than a Darwin based team

A business case released on Thursday claims a new stadium in Darwin’s CBD could be built within the next seven to 10 years at a cost between $700-$735 million, allowing the team to enter a few years after the Tasmania Devils who’ll begin play in 2028.

The plan also calls for $80 million in upgrades to Traeger Park in Alice Springs over the next three years, plus $160 million in further improvements to the ground along with a refurbishment of TIO Stadium in Darwin.

20 clubs is way too many IMO, nothing can be done about it though.
As sad as what happened to Fitzroy was, the health of game would have been better served with more mergers or relocations back in the 90s. Or if the WAFL had simply followed the SANFL in not joining the VFL in 1987 and forced a national league with fewer Victorian teams. But you're right that nothing can be done about it now. The huge growth in TV revenue and membership means that even clubs like North are pretty much guaranteed to be solvent no matter how poor they are on the field.

As sad as what happened to Fitzroy was, the health of game would have been better served with more mergers or relocations back in the 90s. Or if the WAFL had simply followed the SANFL in not joining the VFL in 1987 and forced a national league with fewer Victorian teams. But you're right that nothing can be done about it now. The huge growth in TV revenue and membership means that even clubs like North are pretty much guaranteed to be solvent no matter how poor they are on the field.
Just unlucky for Fitzroy and lesser extent the Bears depending which side of the fence you sit.

The huge growth in TV revenue and membership means that even clubs like North are pretty much guaranteed to be solvent no matter how poor they are on the field.

Then if they're solvent, they can continue as they are. The on-field fortunes will turn around. We're unlikely to have past situations where clubs are in the bottom half of the ladder for a couple of decades. North last played finals in 2016 and 2018 won 12 of their 22 games finishing 9th.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back