Coach Lions - Has the Fagan era already peaked?

Remove this Banner Ad

Just keep in mind, they have Levi Ashcroft coming through as a F/S pick this year and some believe he's the best player available in this year's draft. There might be an Academy jet or two coming through as well so they could potentially get around this if they're able to use the draft/trade/free agency period wisely.

The coach is probably their most immediate issue.

Well if they nail that, and Levi becomes a gun, they should remain thereabouts as their backline still has a good age profile.

Really can't ever see Daniher or Hipwood delivering. One of them may peak for a year but the other will always be off. Daniher was like this at Essendon. On his day, absolutely brilliant. Not sure there's another big man like him. But those games are few and far between. Does he really have the desire?

The club imploded in VEGAS BABY!

Don't even know if that is really true, but it is funny.

It’s really difficult to support the Lions against anyone whilst they’re playing those f..ng songs after every goal. I’ve been there,and it’s just so f..ng annoying.
Went to the G last week and such a relief to hear none of that s**t….
Fitzroy my ass !

Its a novelty that creates atmosphere for fans.

But does it really help the team. The bloke who kicks the goal gets recognition and their song. The blokes who do all the work and defenders get........?

All is good when you are winning. When you arent its a bit of a joke.

It’s really difficult to support the Lions against anyone whilst they’re playing those f..ng songs after every goal. I’ve been there,and it’s just so f..ng annoying.
Went to the G last week and such a relief to hear none of that s**t….
Fitzroy my ass !
Not sure why Lions and Suns feel the need to play music after every goal.
I guess they need something to keep the fans engaged as it's been 21 years since QLD has seen any silverware.

If North or Hawthorn offered them their 1st pick for Harris Andrews would the lions take it??

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Those thinking we are in for a long rebuild haven’t done their homework.

Levi Ashcroft and Sam Marshall on the way next year will rejuvenate our midfield, coupled with Will Ashcroft.

The majority of our talented players are still early/mid 20’s as well and we just drafted 2 decent forwards who are plugging away in the VFL.

I’m biased but I’d be shocked if we go into the abyss. Maybe 1-3 years out of the finals as we re-group with younger talent and a new coach but not expecting to reach West Coast/North levels of bad.

Yep, I don’t think they are done.
I still think they have issues that start at the top but they aren’t going anywhere with Levi and Sam coming in.

Still think they should move on from Hipwood and bring Morris in.
Recko he has much higher upside, Hipwood seems like a forever potential player.

Unfortunately the premiership window, on average, doesn’t extend beyond 4-5 seasons. Fagan has taken this group as far as he can, he’s lost for answers on game day when things go pear shape ……. his days are numbered!!

Collingwood, Geelong and GWS all having down years at some point these past 3 years only to shoot back up with no drastic list rebuild.

Raise alarm bells if similar results two years in a row.

Imo they’re not finished as a flag threat over the next 2-3 seasons, if they can stay healthy. Ashcroft in would be huge, as would Coleman.

That being said, they’re on shaky ground relying on near perfect health to be a genuine threat.

This season is slipping away but I still imagine them sneaking in to the finals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is 3 wins from 9 shots a launchpad for a serious tilt?

The fat lady is getting a massage on mothers day.
Neither is 4 wins from 9 shots, if you want to be logical about it based on what the result could have been today.

We aren't contesting for the flag this year. A very poor start against other contenders, coupled with the worst injury list in the comp to best 22 players, it's a no brainer.

The good news though is the kids who have come in have genuinely looked pretty good and now get some experience instead of being stuck behind some older heads just trucking along.

The last piece of the puzzle is what to do with Fagan. He won't get sacked but the club needs to seriously consider a replacement, he surely cannot get an extension at his age.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Lions (and Crows) have 3.5 wins with 14 games to go and top 4 requires 16 wins. That means Brisbane can only afford 1.5 more losses for the rest of the season in order to finish top 4 - so you can essentially rule that out now. The bigger question is whether they can still make the finals. 13 wins gets you in so that means the Lions need to win 10 of their final 14 games to play finals. They can only afford 4 more losses for the season from here and they still have 6 games against top 8 opposition - Port @ AO, the Dees @ Gabba, the Swans @ Gabba, GWS @ Gabba, Collingwood @ MCG & Essendon @ Gabba.

So they basically can't afford any more slip ups against teams outside the top 8 AND they need to cause some upsets against top 8 teams just to squeeze into the top 8. It's not impossible, but it's going to be tough for the Lions to make the finals from here.

The Lions (and Crows) have 3.5 wins with 14 games to go and top 4 requires 16 wins. That means Brisbane can only afford 1.5 more losses for the rest of the season in order to finish top 4 - so you can essentially rule that out now. The bigger question is whether they can still make the finals. 13 wins gets you in so that means the Lions need to win 10 of their final 14 games to play finals. They can only afford 4 more losses for the season from here and they still have 6 games against top 8 opposition - Port @ AO, the Dees @ Gabba, the Swans @ Gabba, GWS @ Gabba, Collingwood @ MCG & Essendon @ Gabba.

So they basically can't afford any more slip ups against teams outside the top 8 AND they need to cause some upsets against top 8 teams just to squeeze into the top 8. It's not impossible, but it's going to be tough for the Lions to make the finals from here.
Honestly not expecting to make the 8 this year. Good year to pump the games into some kids to improve our depth.

Next year is very interesting though. We'll have an outside Top 8 draw, healthier list AND the addition of Ashcroft & Marshall. Every chance we rebound quite quickly.

Honestly not expecting to make the 8 this year. Good year to pump the games into some kids to improve our depth.

Next year is very interesting though. We'll have an outside Top 8 draw, healthier list AND the addition of Ashcroft & Marshall. Every chance we rebound quite quickly.
My concern would be that having a down year potentially leads to losing McCluggage and Berry at the end of this year. The midfield depth takes a fair large hit if that happens and Neale is turning 31 next week so he doesn't have many top level years left. I'm sure L.Ashcroft and Marshall are great but there's a tipping point of age/experience that Brisbane would be flirting with if this plays out. Daniher, Neale, Cameron, Lester, Zorko, McInerney, McCarthy, Lyons & Fort are all 30 or older this year. It's going to take more than two 18 year old draftees to transition this list back into premiership contending mode IMO.

Malthouse on ABC radio commentary after the Thursday night game that Brisbane were pretenders and not to be taken seriously. I wrote it off as him being bitter about 2002 and 2003 but it appears he might be correct. What is their deficiency?
They went to the mountain, and never came back.
Still a way to go but they seem lame whether Fagan is to blame is debatable, they just can’t gather regularity.
Up and down like yo-yo s’

Definitely possible to make the bottom half of the 8 if we win out at the Gabba.

Definitely possible to make the bottom half of the 8 if we win out at the Gabba.
That's a big IF. Richmond (17), St Kilda (14), Melbourne (4), Adelaide (12), Sydney (1), GWS (5), Essendon (3). That's 4 of the current top 5 that they'll be facing at the Gabba this year and the Crows proved yesterday that they aren't pushovers either.

No. A non Victorian club will struggle to win the flag or give it a good tilt without finishing top 4 and winning their first final. A record of 15 wins, 7 losses and 1 draw can possibly be enough to finish 4th but the Lions haven't shown enough to be confident of a top 8 finish

Remove this Banner Ad

Back