Multiplat Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth

Remove this Banner Ad

Just finished. I still have a few trophies to wrap up but what an amazing ride.

Firstly a few comments the game itself (as I have loaded premium adventure and listening to my in game song playlist while I digest the last month). I'll start with some negatives as they're small and to get them out of the way.

Substories, not enough of them. Only 52, they were all available early and many were a continuation from a previous one. For a game this large it felt like there should have been double that. Then again this game was loaded with content any way.

Dondoko island was a really awesome concept. It's super addictive upgrading your park. However once it's finally maxed out and you can fill it with S and A guests there isn't anything else too do and it takes too long. The reward payout just isn't worth it. I would get about $25k give or take but I read if you min/max your attraction placements you can get about $30k. The business game in LAD7 would get you ¥300k. I think when the developers designed the island this value was intentional because in this game USD to Yen trades at 1:100 so it works out the same. However the costs for things in this game are so much more and you make most of your money from dungeons, street fights and the story line that it makes the island less worthwhile.

Sujimon battles is cool but I think I ruined it by using DLC Sujimon. I stomped everyone. To any one starting the game with DLC Sujimon I strongly recommend not using them.

For the positives I can't remember the last time I would find excuses to keep playing. The last time I think was Witcher 3. Often in big games I'd do as much as I could until I hit a wall and would decide it's time to move on and wrap things up. Maybe because I've been so invested in this series I feel attached to the characters and the world that it feels like I'm hanging out. There were times I just jumped on to do rounds games like card games, mahjong, shitloads of karaoke etc.

Being such a long series Kasuga was meant to be a bit of a fresh start and an entry point for new fans. But man, this game was 100% fan service. I feel sorry for anyone who hasn't played every game and will not understand or appreciate the sheer amount of references to the previous games.

I might put my thoughts on the story and ending in a subsequent post as this is longer than I thought it would be.

It looks like the last few games don’t have a ton of substories. Yakuza 6, Yakuza: LAD, Gaiden (substories/requests) and IW have 51, 52, 34 and 52 respectively.

Just something else on why I thought IW would end like it did

When Kiryu met with the old crew in the hut they said their names were legendary and if they die then they just become legends and Yakuza will always strive to become them. That was the justification for staying away. Kiryu saw how quickly ex Yakuza swarmed back to the Seiryu clan and I think that is motivation to regain his name. From the way they talked in that scene and other stuff is why I get the impression Kiryu wants to restart Tojo and become a positive influence to reform them.

In contrast, I've started chapter 8 and I'm feeling significant burnout. Finding it quite repetitive and
returning to Japan to essentially start again
is feeling draining.

Give me some encouragement to continue as I have a massive backlog of other games that are singing to me
Chapter 8 is a slow burn. It's the start of the fan service, so I guess it depends how big a fan you are of the series. I have seen similar complaints online, so you're not alone there. For those who came into the series with LAD and then this, it would definitely feel like a slog. They really could have handled that transition a lot better. Maybe added more for Kiryu to do other than reminisce.

It's probably the weakest point in the game, push through, it does get better.

Chapter 8 is a slow burn. It's the start of the fan service, so I guess it depends how big a fan you are of the series. I have seen similar complaints online, so you're not alone there. For those who came into the series with LAD and then this, it would definitely feel like a slog. They really could have handled that transition a lot better. Maybe added more for Kiryu to do other than reminisce.

It's probably the weakest point in the game, push through, it does get better.
cheers, yeah apart from a tiny little look at the previous game I've never played one before so it's a complete whiff for me unfortunately. I can see what they are doing though and I'm sure it's great for the diehards.

I'll try to push through. First world problems amirite

The whole idea of Y7 LAD introducing Kasuga and a change in game style from brawler to turn based RPG was to create an entry point for new fans and that game does that brilliantly. If anyone feels a little lost or disconnected in Infinite Wealth then RGG have erred and defeated the purpose of the "reboot". That's kind of a shame really because it's one of the most rewarding series in gaming IMO.

Going to drift into general RGG/Yakuza thread territory here but this should hopefully put more pressure on RGG with their new found fame to make a Kiwami 3 and 4 as not to turn away so many new prospective fans. Y5 could get away without a Kiwami remake as it's running on the same engine as 0 and K1 but 3 and 4 are dated in more ways than their visuals and would definitely be a barrier to many.

Chapter 8 is probably around when I started telling myself that I'm glad I'm experienced in the series otherwise I'm not sure I'd understand the relevance of a lot of what was happening.

Just beat it, god damn, what a ******* fantastic game

The Palekana portion of the last chapter was a bit hit and miss in terms of the cult and Bryce not getting fleshed out as much, but the obvious sentiments about cultism and how religious organisations are essentially the same as mafia comes through pretty clear. Bryce the religious nutjob dual wielding guns for the fight was some funny satire on American culture. It was definitely the most clumsy part of the final chapter but it was still fine. Chitose's arc is great, possibly best written woman in the franchise?

The obvious jab at Japanese government's terrible management of their nuclear waste IRL is some typical RGG s**t

Then everything after that was peak

Maybe some of the most thematically consistent story telling the series has ever done? About regrets, atonement, facing up to your mistakes and keep on living. Yamai, Chitose, Tomi, even Daigo and Kiryu, all went through arcs about owning up to the sins and mistakes of the past. Even the whole Yakuza disbandment thing was about acknowledge the whole Yakuza business is inherently bad but they still deserves a chance to turn over a new leaf. Just as well that Ichiban is the one guy who seems to forgive everyone. Some of the storytelling and cinematics at the end were just exceptional

The acting of the Japanese cast in these games are consistently some of the best you'll see in the industry, the actors out did themselves, absolutely phenomenal.

The ending is interesting with Kiryu doing chemo and regaining his name, I'm glad they didn't outright kill him off, Kiryu deserves some happiness for once in his life even if he looks like s**t now

Who knows what direction they will go with 9? There are a lot of pieces they can move around, will be interesting how they go about it

Gonna do the Big Swell now, been looking forward to it

Got Platinum.

Only just found out on the last EX dungeon how OP the bombs that lower resistance are. Throw 3 Hallucinagenic Bombs on someone who's weak to ice attacks, then hammer them with ice skills. Rinse and repeat for fire and electric. Bingo bango.

So now what do I do with my life?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What did everyone who has finished IW think about
Kiryu and Haruka not having an on screen reunion? I felt like it was a letdown

I thought the same when Kiryu didn't open the door at Serena but after the post credits scene I see it is reserved for a future installment.

At Serena when she was talking to Akiyama she was under the impression he was still dead. Maybe she had some small doubts after they found the camera at the end of Gaiden and Akiyama leading her on a bit, but she didn't react in a way that she believed he might be alive.

So who told her to go the hospital? She found his room and didn't appear shocked by the name he was admitted as. As an aside I thought it was a nice touch that Haruka has taught Haruto to think of Kiryu as "grandpa".

I think the idea was to not let Kiryu reunite with Haruka while he was in hiding as Taichi Suzuki as that would go against everything she said they thought of him at the orphanage. Lots of Kiryu's story was about "regaining his name". He has done that now and they'll meet again when he is Kiryu and not Suzuki. Which then would also make the Daidoji an antagonist in the next game.

I was going to save big swell until I started a NG+ run but maybe I'll have to do shortly instead. I did the intro and if Joonji doesn't want to fan Seonhee on the beach then I'll happily do it.

Yeah, NG+ is on the itinerary soon lol.

I might dedicate everything after FFVII Rebirth to Yakuza for a couple of months. Will be finishing off the substories for every game and then maybe even going through the series again or at least the LAD games.

Yeah, NG+ is on the itinerary soon lol.

I might dedicate everything after FFVII Rebirth to Yakuza for a couple of months. Will be finishing off the substories for every game and then maybe even going through the series again or at least the LAD games.

I'm on Persona 3 Reload to keep up the Japanese flavour. I was going to go for the JP three-peat next with Rise of the Ronin but I'm dubious after some of the recent stuff so I think I might squeeze in something different like maybe Pacific Drive then either hit NG+ or another full Yakuza series run. My poor Unreal Engine project I've been slowly chipping away at hasn't been touched since IW dropped lol. 😞

I'm on Persona 3 Reload to keep up the Japanese flavour. I was going to go for the JP three-peat next with Rise of the Ronin but I'm dubious after some of the recent stuff so I think I might squeeze in something different like maybe Pacific Drive then either hit NG+ or another full Yakuza series run. My poor Unreal Engine project I've been slowly chipping away at hasn't been touched since IW dropped lol. 😞

Rise of the Ronin and Dragon’s Dogma II are both on the radar but I’ll wait until they go on sale before buying them.

I am still trying to make up for buying Saints Row at full price. :p

Rise of the Ronin and Dragon’s Dogma II are both on the radar but I’ll wait until they go on sale before buying them.

I am still trying to make up for buying Saints Row at full price. :p

You could always make a thread and complain about it for 12 months...

Emily Browning Running GIF by American Gods

Remove this Banner Ad

Back