DSC00964_1.JPG

Photo taken by [name]Old_Dog[/name]

Games - 22
Goals - 4
Best and Fairest - 8th (66 votes)

Date of Birth - 1st August 1986
Recruited Pick 30 2008 rookie draft.
Height/Weight: 183cm, 83kg
Dreamteam Price: 1362 points; $215,400 (-$41,100)
Supercoach: 1362 points; $249,900 (-$64,700)

Stats history: Liam Picken (AFL Tables)

One thing with Picken is you know exactly what you are going to get each and every week and that is 100% effort. He is a very consistent player with little difference between his best and worst games that saw him play every game this year.

Picken was asked to play his usual midfield shutdown roles but also to play in defence due to the large amount of injuries the bulldogs had in that area of the ground during the year.

With the way the game is moving having shutdown players is becoming less important to team structures and players must be able to be effective both ways in order to impact moving forward. This may mean Picken may play either forward or back as his poor skill level can be found out in the midfield despite his efforts. One thing for sure is that Picken is exactly the player McCartney would like as he is tough and uncompromising, adaptable and gives 100% effort all the time.

Notable Games:

Round 12 - vs St Kilda: 27 posessions, 8 tackles and a goal in a more offensive game.

Round 14 - vs Gold Coast: Just 16 posessions but laid 13 tackles.

Picken this year

Picken has averaged 14 disposals and 2 marks over his career.

Against the blues he got 25 disposals and 9 marks. He has bested that disposal tally just twice in his career with totals of 26 and 27 repectively, but the most marks he has ever taken in a game is 6.

So is this a sign he is expanding the scope of his role to be more attacking - leave his opponent and run to space to provide options?

Who saw the game? Who did he play on?

I think this is great if its true, we need to back ourselves when we have the ball, not have Picken follow his man around like a puppy and effectively be playing with only 17 men when we have the ball.

Re: Picken this year

Should take the best midfielder week in week out.

Easton Wood and Robert Murphy should be the two that nullify the small little forwards, Murph didn't do a bad job on Betts bar the first qtr when he realised Betts needs to be played with a lot of respect.

Thread has been moved, because this is what the sub board was for.
As has been agreed upon, news worthy threads can be on the main board, but this is the place for player specific discussion.

I just hope that he's encouraged to run off his direct opponent as too much of his style is about negating the opponents influence without really having any influence himself.

Love Picken tags like no other but hope he can be an offensive target even a few times per game ;)

“The best three taggers for me are Andrew Carrazzo, Liam Picken and Scott Selwood while the best tagger over the past decade was Cameron Ling because he was strong, could run all day and as Gary Ablett tweeted last week, gets after the ball when appropriate.” (Dal Santo, N., “Saluting taggers and other unsung heroes”, The Age, 09/05/2012).
Some love for Liam.

Malthouse commending Picken

I was stoked this morning watching Gameday on ch 7 and listening to Mick Malthouse commend our Liam Picken stating that he thought Picken was the no. 1 tagger in the league in his opinion. Did anyone else see this?
It made me smile, and I was thinking how far Picken has come at our club as a great tagger and how important he is to our structure! :thumbsu:

Re: Malthouse commending Picken

Didnt see this but am rapt that Picken is getting recognition! Massive hard nut and worker.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Malthouse loved him so much, it makes you wonder why Collingwood didn't go after him, with him being a father-son. Anyway, glad they didn't.

It was good for Malthouse and Lingy to stand up for him. They showed one clip of Picken blocking Ablett off the ball and then tried to character assassinate him. Poor form. How about showing some of his tackles and plunging head first for the ball as well.

I would have trouble in finding another tagger better than Picken. I find him incredibly fair, not appearing to cop the wraith from opposition players that some taggers do for their dirty tactics.

Love his works ethic and love for his teammates and club. :thumbsu:

He easily tops our Frees Against this year but ... he even more easily tops our tackles. I'll take that any day. He has also become more damaging with the ball himself.

I did see it this morning, the guy (don't know his name) who covered our game commented that Picken would be in the best three taggers in the game, that is when Malthouse jumped in and said he is the number one tagger in the game.

Who else is there in terms of elite taggers (if there is such a thing)?

Crowley is an obvious one, Jones from the Saints (if I am thinking of the right one).

Anyone think Picken is a chance to win our BnF this year?

He's picked up comparable numbers with cooney playing as a tagger.

Anyone think Picken is a chance to win our BnF this year?

He's picked up comparable numbers with cooney playing as a tagger.

He definitely should be up there. Though Griff was pretty dominant at the start of the year.

I'd love for Picks to get it. The way he plays is what footy is all about

Remove this Banner Ad

Back