Traded Liam Jones (#943)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jones was 98kg last year and is currently listed at 99kg so he has put on some weight just not much, unlike Mitch Wallis who has put on about 6kg and now weighs 90kg
Wow. I'm pretty sure the WB website listed him as 84kg recently but you're right - it definitely says 90kg now.

A Jones playing well makes our team look so much better. Means Williams can play CHB and help the defense.

Glad he played well and marked strongly. The thing im most impressed about is he kicked both goals from set shots. once of them being 50m out. This is his biggest weakness so hopefully his worked hard on it.
I'm no expert, but his kicking action certainly looked more fluent to me last night. He's not leaning out of the kick, he's letting the power transfer through the ball and hitting it much more cleanly.

That said, there was little pressure on him last night; the real test will be when the season begins.

Jones will be fine. Better than fine. Super young key forward who had a down year in a god awful team. Perspective required.

He's not going to be Wayne Carey or Chris grant. Think Glenn Coleman and earl Spalding. Big, athletic, strong marking competitive type. Always provide a contest. Apply good pressure, not a big goal kicker.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jones will be fine. Better than fine. Super young key forward who had a down year in a god awful team. Perspective required.

He's not going to be Wayne Carey or Chris grant. Think Glenn Coleman and earl Spalding. Big, athletic, strong marking competitive type. Always provide a contest. Apply good pressure, not a big goal kicker.
"Hi, my name is Spalding. I'm sure you've played with my balls."

Wind the clock back 12 months, and I thought Jonesy was pretty serviceable for the first few weeks of the season.

Hopefully he can keep a higher level of performance up for longer this year...
Jones suffered from two things, Getting the number 1 defender and very very poor delivery, both really affected him and once his confidence was down he went backwards, hopefully more fitness and a bigger frame with better delivery will help him achieve the improvement that we all through he would have last year this year.

Jones suffered from two things, Getting the number 1 defender and very very poor delivery, both really affected him and once his confidence was down he went backwards, hopefully more fitness and a bigger frame with better delivery will help him achieve the improvement that we all through he would have last year this year.

For mine the other thing the Jones boy needs in order to have a really effective season is for us to play two other "talls" up forward, so it is virtually impossible for opposition coaches to constantly double team him. If we have three marking type forwards, all would need to be covered, or if Jones is double teamed we have an alternate tall with a small or no opponent.
Such a "tall" would not need to be ruckman size, but it could still be so, provided we can organise a couple of genuine crumbers up forward.
For me Jones at CHF, Williams at FF, and Ayce/big Will alternating in the FP should make the double teaming tactics that were used so effectively on us last season far more difficult for coaches to organise.
And before the howls of "to slow" go up, neither Jones nor Williams are speedsters, but they are hardly glacial either. Both are pretty athletic for guys their size.
If we do not have an abundance of mids who can regularly deposit the ball lace out on the chests of our forwards [ which to date we show no signs of having], then bombing it in as quickly as possible to a forward group that has so many marking options may just work for us for the present.
If some of the kids come on, and we recruit a natural FF next year, you would move to a different type of forward structure, but till then we need to do a hell of a lot better up front than we did last season, and start to dictate how that half of the ground works, rather than simply trying to cope with what we have dished up to us, like in 2012.

I like this kind of forward structure:

Dahlhaus Jones Murphy
Higgins Cordy Dickson

Murphy is going to attract attention because the man could potentially kick bags. Griffen and Cooney can rotate in there as well with Higgins and Dal have spells in the midfield.

If he can do a number on one of those number one defenders - put 6 or 7 on them - he'll be good to go.

A breakout game, if you will.

I don't want to burst the bubble, because I have like Jones ever since that fateful night where we shared a 5 minute drunken phone conversation, but Richmond's defence is shite even when they are at full capability. Think Gilbee/Minson 10 goals between them.

If he can do a number on one of those number one defenders - put 6 or 7 on them - he'll be good to go.

A breakout game, if you will.
Considering he's only kicked 2 goals max in his games so far, it could be asking a bit much. But fingers crossed. It could well be his season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back