Retired Leon Baker

Remove this Banner Ad

You're right about Leon being bashed or targeted, there was a game v sydney on a public holiday where they just continually went him, bolton, toohey etc ******* pricks, barely played another game after that.

That was the eye gouging game. A brutal game.

Finally a big interview with the great man...that was awesome.

Ahh 1984..what a season. I was 14 years old and our mids were the star of the show...windy hill superstars.

You had Neagle, Watson, Hawker and Daisy Williams with super taggers Shane Heard and Nobby Clarke...all of which were as hard as nails with supreme fitness.

But the biggest star of the them all was Leon Baker.

Sublime skills and smooth as silk he just topped off an already A grade midfield.

And that famous goal that put us front I can still picture from behind the city end goals up in the stand. The roar that followed was deafening. Baker the finisher.

That bit about the blind turn around no one is a classic. It's true..when you watch it he didn't really need to spin around, but he did..and it makes that goal even better lol

At that stage of pontification about nature of the game Barassi had been saying if your centre half foward is best on the ground you win the game. Or usually do. Baker was making me think you haven't got that right Barass. He was the key.

At that stage of pontification about nature of the game Barassi had been saying if your centre half foward is best on the ground you win the game. Or usually do. Baker was making me think you haven't got that right Barass. He was the key.

Haha.. That's why I love the 93 flag so much..we had no true CHF all year. Just a bunch of hard running 20 year olds having pings at goal and a giant at FF.

Barassi..you were wrong!

Haha.. That's why I love the 93 flag so much..we had no true CHF all year. Just a bunch of hard running 20 year olds having pings at goal and a giant at FF.

Barassi..you were wrong!

I guess there is arguments both ways.

I would put Msiti behind Baker but similar thing with respect of 1993 versus 1984 1985..

The CHF thing, you can't deny the impact of Carey or Brereton on games won.

Leon Baker, he led from the centre is all you can say. We weren't CHF dependent on a win. We were more dependent on Baker.

I guess there is arguments both ways.

I would put Msiti behind Baker but similar thing with respect of 1993 versus 1984 1985..

The CHF thing, you can't deny the impact of Carey or Brereton on games won.

Leon Baker, he led from the centre is all you can say. We weren't CHF dependent on a win. We were more dependent on Baker.

The last qrt was just that whole half forward line and midfield working together in perfect harmony. As usual when we needed strength and hardness in the backline, our best player imo, Terry Daniher, was sent down to hold the fort.

15 shots at goal in that qrt. 9 of them sausage rolls.

Timmy, Merv, Daisy, Hawker, and Ezard going flat out and Baker the cream on top with his polished foot work and brilliant evading skills.

Big blokes Vander and Roger getting the ball ( Merrett marking strongly and goaling late in qrt) and young Harvey and Bomber contributing with great efforts .. Thompson kicking a wonderful goal as well.

Madden rested most of 3rd qrt on bench and came on in the last and completely dominating in the centre bounces...feeding the ball to Daisy and Leon.

Weston goals, Bradbury comes on with fresh legs and goals..and topped off with sealers from Watson.

An avalanche of goals rained down..it was the sort of final qrt in a GF you could only dream of.

Down by 4 goals at 3 qrt time (we only kicked 5 team goals up to that point ....and 15 points) and the nightmare of the year before made everyone nervous. 30 mins later...utter joy!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dead set champion. I am lucky enough (read old enough) to have seen his whole time at the Bombers. Was a master of evasion. Second behind Hird as most skillful I have seen at the club. A true natural.

Dead set champion. I am lucky enough (read old enough) to have seen his whole time at the Bombers. Was a master of evasion. Second behind Hird as most skillful I have seen at the club. A true natural.

Baker was more skilful than Hird, Hird couldn't kick left foot... but Hird was a better player, not by as much as many would think though.

A guy who managed a site i was working on the other day that played wafl and at Port Douglas is mates with Leon - my excitement levels got a bit out of hand but information about this great man still elusive. Reckons Leon played bugger all footy after vfl (I thought he played in some country leagues for a few years). Baker watches Port Douglas games but occasionally gives advise from the sidelines but doesn't do any coaching. Like many have said on here he says Leon is quite private but very humble and a top guy. Has daughters but no sons ( was hoping for a f/s clone). This bloke also chatted with Sheeds who admitted Leon was his personal favorite Essendon player of all and best decision made during his era confirming the obvious man crush spoken about by Simon Madden. Anyhow I told this bloke also a mad Bombers fan to get Leon into writing "The Accidental Footballer" and that I would buy 10 copies.

As a kid i asked for Rotten Ronny Andrews number 4 on my jumper, got so lucky to have the number 4 on my back in the coming years when Leon baker came along absolutely one of my favorite all time bomber players. The old man still claims Baker is one of the best he has ever seen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back