Other Lawn bowls

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 11, 2007
Kerang
AFL Club
Collingwood
Interested to know how many bowlers are out there in Bigfooty land. Now that footy has finished (bitterly!) time to polish the bowls for the new season. Where do you play, who are your stars.

Sorry, I don't play, but would like to know if anybody goes out of their way to listen to the radio show on SEN, sunday mornings? There's now way even a passionate fan could, could they?

Can't say that I have ever heard this show. I take it that it isn't worth the time? Who fronts it?
Our association fires up tomorrow. We play the premiers of the last 6 years in Cohuna Golf. Be a good early season test to be sure.

I've played a few games - at the local working men's club. But I'm talking about Crown Green bowls.

That time of the year where Group trials and selections are being held. I see one of the blokes from the Mallee (Group 3) was Australian Singles Champion of Champion. Grant Seary I believe his name was, great effort from him.

I play pennant bowls, my 3rd season. Took it up after feeling too old standing in the field all day playing cricket. Few mates who played, have been really enjoying it, and like the team environment as opposed to the solitary nature of golf.
The old blokes who play are good fun, talk about the same as us "young fellas" - footy, cricket, cars, fishing and shagging.
Started using dead mans bowls, found I improved sharply when I bought some new tighter evo's.
Normally play as 2nd/3rd in our div 2 team but am having a break as we just had a baby last month.

Heading into my third season now. Playing at Dee Why in Sydney.

Not that into playing on the social weeks, so have been playing the first half of the cricket season, but now we are heading into Pennants season the bowls are out again

In my first season we won the Zone pennant in Div 6 and I went to the State Champs, but last season not so good.

I thought when I started at 41 I'd be one of the relatively young ones, but our 1sts & 2nds are all 20 somethings

My 13 year old son started playing last season and had a few runs in Pennants as a reserve, and looks like getting a full time run this year.

I'm using Taylor Vectors that I got 2nd hand, but am probably ready to trade up. The boy is using Classic II's which are good for his grass, but he wants something snazzier.

l have played some novice bowls really liked it so l brought a set of dreamlines got them dirt cheap.we won 3 bowlers x 2 bowls cromp last year smashed last years winners god they were super shitty:D.played with the old bloke's 242 bowls over the winter won that a few times.have'nt played of last.l get asked to play pennant bowls l hear a lot of the skips are knobs.l'll might think about doing bowls next year,l'll see how my cricket goes over the summer.

l have played some novice bowls really liked it so l brought a set of dreamlines got them dirt cheap.we won 3 bowlers x 2 bowls cromp last year smashed last years winners god they were super shitty:D.played with the old bloke's 242 bowls over the winter won that a few times.have'nt played of last.l get asked to play pennant bowls l hear a lot of the skips are knobs.l'll might think about doing bowls next year,l'll see how my cricket goes over the summer.[/quote

Fine work rocker. :D The Region Sides Championships were held the weekend just gone. Bendigo Campaspe winners. They were Group 5 in the old parlance before the amalgamation. This takes in Bendigo and up to Echuca so plenty of good bowlers there.

Fine work rocker. :D The Region Sides Championships were held the weekend just gone. Bendigo Campaspe winners. They were Group 5 in the old parlance before the amalgamation. This takes in Bendigo and up to Echuca so plenty of good bowlers there.
The old group 5 has always been a strong group for as long as I can remember. With the number of clubs in Bendigo and the fact that they are smart enough not to start their season until the greens are better in late-Oct rather than first Saturday in Oct like Metro does.

I still can't see what good the amalgamation will do. Seems more like another waste of time from Bowls Vic to keep the existing lazy councilors in a job for a few more years.

Pretty over cricket at the moment and thinking about lawn bowls. I'm only 23, but the sport appeals to me as a good summer sport. What are people's thoughts. Am I too young to make the switch? What are the costs for a good set of bowls?

Pretty over cricket at the moment and thinking about lawn bowls. I'm only 23, but the sport appeals to me as a good summer sport. What are people's thoughts. Am I too young to make the switch? What are the costs for a good set of bowls?

Good age to start. Most of the top grade players are under 30.

The club (or one of the coaches) will usually lend you a set of bowls to get started.

You can get a reasonable set of 2nd hand ones for under $300. New ones will be in the $650 to $700 mark.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

l was lucky l picked up brand new set of bowls for a round 200 bucks there are dreamlines.there were cheap because the markers stuffed up the paint they reackon they may or may not go lighter if in the sun to long.win for me!
if you have not played much bowls before go to your local club or any club you like.try out the bowls they have see which kind you like and you feel you can bowl well with.alot of older bowlers are always upgrading there bowls you could pick up some not so old bowls cheap.or see second hand places l see older style bowls for around 20-50 bucks there the ones where you bowl a fair bit wider and come in from there.most bowls now a more narrow than that.

Used to play a LOT of junior bowls as a kid (should have won a State U18's title 6 years ago in what was easily my most frustrating sports moment ever.

Basically as a country kid, I came up for my last year of eligibility for State events at the U18 level. A kid from my club won the country singles a few years before so I wanted to do well. Then the kid who I was supposed to play with pulled out leaving me in the lurch and basically since I was staying with him

Country singles went ok, but I lost to the winner 21-15 eventually.

Fours was super lame. Because I wasnt as well known compared to the city players and players from bigger towns, I got stuck with a bunch of 7 year olds. Lost the first game something like 25-15 then played effectively the State girls team. First 5 ends we crossed over (i.e I was skipping and we changed ends having bowled 6 bowls for each teams) 28-0 down. I remember this because I marked it on the scorecard for shits and giggles. We were 4-4 at that point and eventually lost 30-8 or something as it is very difficult to win games crossing over 5 down with no bowls behind jack hi.

Pairs was better, but again, we had the overall winning team in my group. We won two games but lost the effective final of our group by a few shots. Again, difficult to play when consistantly going for my last two bowls down 3 or 4 shots.

Singles was the most interesting. I left my bowls at home (A 3 hour trip lol) and had to borrow a set, and was called out on it by the main organisers. First game I play some little kid and destroy him 21-1 while trying to only score 1 per end so I can get as many practice ends with the new bowls (new Vectors compared to my set of Drakes Pride Internationals).

In the "final" of the group I played the kid who beat me the year before. Normally we play in groups of 3 but the year before due to odd numbers we played a group of 2 best of 3 match. I lost 21-18, 15-21, 21-9 with the first game being longer then a few of the other groups because we basically killed every third end and only ever scored singles almost the entire game.

This year I crushed him 21-9 and earnt a match vs the previous years bowler of the year. He had a particularly loud Dad/coach and I overheard him talking about his quarter-final match the next day because he was obviously always going to beat me.

I played some of my best bowls ever including probably the greatest shot of my life. He held 1 but I had 2 seconds all within 2 feet of the jack. I couldnt really see his bowl to move it out of the way, and managed to play just around a short front bowl and moved it exactly one revolution, enough to change 1 down to 3 up with every bowl. That put me into the lead and I eventually won 21-15 to go into the quarter finals vs a kid named Matthew Mitchell.

MM beat me in the pairs and I was out for revenge. Early on I played pretty well and at one stage led 10-4 first to 21. But he came back and played a few amazing conversion shots to leave the score 18-17 in his favour with me having last bowl.

With one bowl left to play each, I held a close one with Matt holding two seconds. Matt elected to drive even though I had the back covered. This was interesting because had he hit it he would have clattered into my bowl, a toucher, and probably gone out of bounds, leaving me probably holding two or three and having 4 metres to draw a 3rd or 4th which would almost be the game.

Instead, he narrowly missed inside and caused no damage. Since I held everything at the back I elected to play with a tiny bit of weight intending to move the jack one foot back in a chance to possibly collect 4 and the match. I considered it impossible to get under his short bowl and as such it couldnt go wrong.

Obviously because I was using the new bowls I came underneath, moved my bowl half a revolution and went down 2 in a fourway measure to be stuck 20-17. I won the next end to have a glimmer of hope but on the last end Matt was able to draw inside my shot bowl to within 2 inches to win the game and eventually took the title as well.

I mention his name because since I have quit and never really looked to pick it up again. Matt plays top level bowls in WA at the adult level and has qualfied for national and international events in the last 5 years.

-----------------

Anyway, if I was taking it up aged between 20-45 I would make sure I knew people down at the club. Bowls is fun, but more then once a blue moon you really want to enjoy the company, which while you will almost certainly do, it can be annoying dealing with those you dont like as well as having a beer at the bar while you would rather be with mates.

Couldnt promote the game more as a social activity though.

Well the pointy end for most comps around Victoria. Wondering how your side went? Our missed out on the finals by 6 points.

Our side wasn't close to making finals but we stayed in division 1 so happy to stay there. Second side caused a big upset in their section semi final by beating reservoir but lost the section final

Bump....

Just discovered this board/thread... wondering who around is a bowler?

I'm playing again this upcoming season after a couple off years off. Have played about 6ish seasons in total in the Ballarat comp was in div 1 or 2 the last year I played.....now in Geelong and not really sure what the comp is like...since the premier league is Geelong-Ballarat I assume the other divisions line up pretty much the same.

Bump....

Just discovered this board/thread... wondering who around is a bowler?

I'm playing again this upcoming season after a couple off years off. Have played about 6ish seasons in total in the Ballarat comp was in div 1 or 2 the last year I played.....now in Geelong and not really sure what the comp is like...since the premier league is Geelong-Ballarat I assume the other divisions line up pretty much the same.
Which club are you at shaneo? Ive had a roll at eastern park,highton,belmont.

Gee my set must be gathering cobwebs never played full comp bowls just novice style comps.I will see how my cricket season goes first before getting right into it.
Which club are you at shaneo? Ive had a roll at eastern park,highton,belmont.

I got the shits with fielding all day in cricket and someone convinced me of bowls by pointing out you can drink if you like while you go... the ol pennant on a weekend can be a bit top serious for that, especially in the higher grades.

I'm a Leopold, 1st year here so not sure what the standard is like or what grade I'll be in yet.. practice match this weekend but fair to say I'll be at the cattery

Remove this Banner Ad

Back