AFLW Lauren Arnell - Our inaugural AFLW coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Isn't Lauren Arnell in isolation having testing positive for Covid?
No idea. If so, wait until she is negative then fly her over and have a proper full presser and also one on one interviews for TV stations and radio stations.

No idea. If so, wait until she is negative then fly her over and have a proper full presser and also one on one interviews for TV stations and radio stations.

Can't see why some believe it's a problem. Frankly it's a non issue.

It gives potential players the opportunity to know who the coach is going to be and quite probably be very impressed with that they see.

When Lauren arrives there is the opportunity for a full blown presser so along with the current media exposure, Port gain a second bite.

Can't see why some believe it's a problem. Frankly it's a non issue.

It gives potential players the opportunity to know who the coach is going to be and quite probably be very impressed with that they see.

When Lauren arrives there is the opportunity for a full blown presser so along with the current media exposure, Port gain a second bite.
Do you reckon we would do the same thing if we replaced Hinkley? Appoint a new coach on zoom?

So the players we dont have, get an extra 5 or 6 day opportunity to know who the coach is? Thats gonna make them want to sign for us over easter compared to if the presser was next Tuesday?? I dont buy that.

“Embrace Expectation”™

Can we insulate the AFLW team from the plastic platitudes at least?
You can probably blame Big Footy for the embrace expectations line.

3 days ago I re read the thread about the October 2019 Focus Group meeting FishingRick04 set up with Richo, KT decided to come to it, along with Steven Shirley and CD popped in for 15-20 minutes as he only was told at short notice and had a prior engagement.

There was a guy called Dave also attend, who was taking notes and facilitating the meeting, I will leave it up to Rick to divulge more info on Dave, but basically he has been doing stuff with Port for 3 decades, set up a services business in the 1980's, that basically established an industry in Oz, and his expertise is marketing.

He wrote a report summing up what we said and what the major themes were. I know Rick has talked to him about it as they were on the Marketing Committee together and thru that built up a strong relationship.

The meeting as I wrote on here, was a lot fuller and franker than I expected, no issues were ignored once that particular issue was raised, and it was a lot more about on field and the footy department than I expected.

What came thru was that the club was struggling to understand why we weren't happy with things. What also came thru was that we had high expectations like the club, but we wanted to see progress a lot quicker than the club.

I have written the following a couple of times over the last few days, and it is what prompted me to dig up that old thread, - KT said that the club was trying to build the best U/23 side possible, and driving home from the meeting, I thought we aren't going to win a flag until 2025, and if things go well we might jag one in 2023-25 years.

Nobody at the meeting used the phrase embrace expectations, but the words expectations and what we expect were used throughout the 2 hour meeting.

I suspect Dave either wrote the phrase embrace expectations in his report, or that is what the board / executives took as what the club had to do, to deal with members expectations.

At the December 2020 follow up Big Footy focus group meeting Rick organised, Richo said something like we learnt from last years meeting to embrace members high expectations or the embrace expectations phrase, and I commented that at last year's meeting there seemed to be a disconnect between the expectations of those of us who attended, and the club's expectations.

So like a lot of things in life, what started off as a good phrase to explain things, has unfortunately turned into a cliche with overuse.

Last edited:
Lauren starts officially on 2 May, so I imagine we will get an in-person press conference then.

Koch on Ch.7 spruiking the appointment of women to the coaching & football department roll. That's all well and good in today's climate but where they the best candidates available in the football system or were better candidates ignored because of their gender?
I said the same when I heard this talk last year - I want the best of the best no matter their gender.

That said, looking at Lauren's past and the unique advantage of being an ex-AFLW player, arguably the first and only who is ready to make the jump in 2023, from where I'm sitting with obviously limited knowledge, I don't think we could have made a better appointment. Its bold as heck and makes us trailblazers, which is what we used to be on the men's side too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dave Reynolds and Daniel Caire join already-appointed Hamish Hartlett as assistant coaches,

while the player development coaching team comprises Renee Forth, Clayton Lamb and Cam Sutcliffe.

I am assuming Clayton Lamb will be a kicking coach. He was a beautiful left foot kick. I asked my brother in-law, who knows Clayton very well, if he has been coaching females the last few years and he said he isn't aware of him being head coach anywhere, but might have been helping out an amateur team. So I said, surely he then has been brought in to be the kicking development talent coach. Bit like Geoff Morris was early days of our AFL era, another great left footer who played for Westies.

The article says;

Former Adelaide Crows Forth and Lamb both have comprehensive on-field experience to bring to the coaches box.

Forth played five matches for GWS in her first year of AFLW, after which she was traded to the Adelaide Crows. The experienced midfielder played a further 17 games for the Crows, including Adelaide’s 2019 winning premiership.

Lamb was an Adelaide Crows foundation player, but it was at Glenelg and West Adelaide in the SANFL where he really made his mark.

So nothing about any coaching stuff about Lamb and Forth and Cam Sutcliffe hasn't done any so far.

Re the 2 assistant coaches

Daniel Caire joined West Adelaide as a junior in 2001 and proceeded to play more than 200 senior games, earning SANFL life membership in 2017. As a teacher and sports coordinator, Caire’s skills in education have transferred into various coaching roles at the Bloods in both underage and female programs.

Dave Reynolds is the state coaching manager for the SANFL and having held various coaching roles in the state development pathway system, is well-equipped to transition into the AFLW space.

Daniel Claire would have been playing at West Adelaide when list manager Naomi Maidment was coach of Westies U/16 boys side.

Always liked her in the media. A better football mind than most commentators.

I reckon she’ll be an assistant coach with the mens team before too long.
Once parity increases with expansions, the soft cap will as well - the money will be there for her as a senior coach. She also might see herself as head coach more than an assistant.

Arnell also arrives at Alberton pre-conditioned for the intense Port Adelaide-Crows rivalry that will find a new dimension with the first AFLW Showdown, now expected in late September when Adelaide Oval is vacant rather than at the start of the new season in late August.

“My whole upbringing was centred on the 1997 preliminary final loss to the Crows. Worst day ever, tears in my family,” Arnell said.

Arnell’s life story would have impressed Koch and every other off-field leader at Alberton when Haslam put forward the inaugural Carlton AFLW captain and Brisbane AFLW premiership player as the woman to lead Port Adelaide to a new league.

The resume is impressive – 10 VFLW premierships with Darebin, three All-Australian honours and prime place in the history books with the start-up of Australian football’s first national women’s competition in 2017.

The pathway is extreme. In 2013, as one of the top-10 female players in Victorian women’s football, Arnell was asked if she would be interested in training with an under-18 men’s team, the Calder Cannons which was loaded with AFL draft prospects such as current Gold Coast midfield star Touk Miller and Essendon ruckman-forward Peter Wright.

“Me, being me, I’ve gone ‘s**t yeah, I’ll do that’,” Arnell said. “There was no other talent development. I was playing club footy that was the best of the Victorian league, but there was no high-performance system involved whatsoever. I was teaching all day at primary school and I was then driving out to Craigieburn, north Melbourne which was about 50 minutes in the car.

“I was 26. I reckon these boys all thought I was 21. I was training with them 2-3 times a week in their pre-season which was amazing. And from that I built connections with the management at the Cannons and they all asked me to coach (the under-18 girls and under-16 boys).

“From there, I was given opportunities to coach the Victorian Indigenous Kickstart team that was essentially a cultural program where you take kids to Darwin for a week – probably the best thing I have ever done in footy, outside of winning a premiership. I was the only non-Indigenous person in that whole program. Seven nights in Darwin and deep diving into want it means culturally for those with First Nations background; that was really, really special.

“Then while I was teaching I would join in school sports, Victoria representative teams … a bunch of girls now in the AFLW, I was coaching them when they were 13, 14, 15.

“Then AFLW started (in 2017), so I put a pause on my coaching because I wanted to focus on playing. I was still working four days a week and coaching development – and then COVID hit. I went back to teaching in Brisbane. (Then Brisbane football chief) David Noble arranged an amazing job for me that was three days teaching and two days at the Lions academy. And I was leading that girls talent pathway at the Lions academy since October 2020.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back