Launceston V Burnie Grand Final Preview - Saturday 24/09 at Aurora Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 4, 2009
kanamaluka
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Hurricanes
Launceston have got past Clarence for the first Launceston-hosted final of the newest State League.

Burnie inflicted the only loss on Launceston this year earlier in the finals series so should prove to be an interesting game. :thumbsu:

8000? Im not sure about that. I reckon they will struggle to get 3000. The last ever TSL game on ABC also. Be some tears from ANDY B.

Hasn't been confirmed yet as far as I know that the ABC will be cutting the footy. The SANFL and the SA government are very angry and are fighting the decision over there which would have effects here.

8000? Im not sure about that. I reckon they will struggle to get 3000. The last ever TSL game on ABC also. Be some tears from ANDY B.

Won't get 8,000.
The same two sides pulled around 5,300 to Latrobe in the NTFL Grand Final a few years back, and given the lack of support shown towards local football in Launceston, you'd tend to think it may struggle to pull that.
Also, Launceston's highest attendance it has ever played in front of is 8,617 way back in the 1957 NTFA Grand Final at the same ground.
So, if they manage to get a crowd of 5,000 you'd think that'd be quite reasonable.
PS: If that IS the last game on ABC1 for Tasmanian football you can just about kiss the whole lot goodbye. The sponsorship dollars (the little we get) will dry up and exposure of the sport will be limited to having the scores read out in the quarter-by-quarter breaks on AFL Grandstand by Mumbles Newlinds.
Lack of exposure equals lack of uptake by juniors at local level.
The snowball effect will begin.

Won't get 8,000.

PS: If that IS the last game on ABC1 for Tasmanian football you can just about kiss the whole lot goodbye. The sponsorship dollars (the little we get) will dry up and exposure of the sport will be limited to having the scores read out in the quarter-by-quarter breaks on AFL Grandstand by Mumbles Newlinds.
Lack of exposure equals lack of uptake by juniors at local level.
The snowball effect will begin.

Spot on mate.

Won't get 8000. With an AFL day preliminary final on in direct competition it may struggle to get 2000. Sadly, this game could have been played at Windsor Park and the attendance adequately catered for.
And, yes, it will be the last televised game of local footy in Tassie. Even now, its the one state league not on iView, so even if the SANFL and WAFL still get televised the TSL won't. The current ABC board would just about close down the Hobart newsroom if they cold get parliament to amend the charter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bridgenorth V Rocherlea got 3,000 for their Grand Final at Aurora Stadium yesterday.

They will get a good crowd! Just a shame all the Hobart people have to be so down about losing the Grand final for a year! Great for launceston and the North to have a All north final bad luck to The roos but good for the comp!

They will get a good crowd! Just a shame all the Hobart people have to be so down about losing the Grand final for a year! Great for launceston and the North to have a All north final bad luck to The roos but good for the comp!

not sure where your coming from here mate. i don't know one person who would begrudge an all northern final considering both sides are from up north. outlandish statements like this normally end up in argey bargey between each end of the state but i guess that was what you were hoping for.

I don’t have a problem with the final being played in the North they qualified to host them, I am actually looking forward to the game. The problem I have is the short sighted scheduling of AFL Tasmania have made for the last two showcase games One the game on a Friday night that clashed with an AFL game that only drew a crowd of probably of only 1000 (Based on Brett Geeves comments seen no official crown numbers yet). And then to schedule the SWL Grand Final the same time the AFL Geelong vs West Coast game is short sighted, why not Saturday night?

I don’t have a problem with the final being played in the North they qualified to host them, I am actually looking forward to the game. The problem I have is the short sighted scheduling of AFL Tasmania have made for the last two showcase games One the game on a Friday night that clashed with an AFL game that only drew a crowd of probably of only 1000 (Based on Brett Geeves comments seen no official crown numbers yet). And then to schedule the SWL Grand Final the same time the AFL Geelong vs West Coast game is short sighted, why not Saturday night?

Agree totally. I've not met one person who disagrees with the match being held in the North - they qualified for it!
In fact, just about every person I've met down here has pissed themselves laughing about the Roos missing out.
The Preliminary Final between Burnie and Clarence in 2009 drew 1,027 to York Park, I actually wonder if it was even less the other night given that they've not announced a figure...
The best crowd ever at a Statewide League match in Launceston is 6,755 between North Launceston and North Hobart at the '89 Second Semi at York Park.
The TSL is extremely obviously not catered towards the fans as has been so often shown with stupid scheduling and their often dictatorial attitude, it's purely about getting blokes drafted to the AFL so Wade and company can get their nice little pats on the back and associated bonuses from the AFL and have nice little things said about them so they can feel all chuffed about themselves.
The fact that coastal sides have to travel to Launceston to host a major final is ridiculous and limits crowds numbers.
I seriously don't know how any club has made a dime out of this year except Glenorchy's Akermanis games, crowds have been horrible.

Agree totally. I've not met one person who disagrees with the match being held in the North - they qualified for it!
In fact, just about every person I've met down here has pissed themselves laughing about the Roos missing out.
The Preliminary Final between Burnie and Clarence in 2009 drew 1,027 to York Park, I actually wonder if it was even less the other night given that they've not announced a figure...
The best crowd ever at a Statewide League match in Launceston is 6,755 between North Launceston and North Hobart at the '89 Second Semi at York Park.
The TSL is extremely obviously not catered towards the fans as has been so often shown with stupid scheduling and their often dictatorial attitude, it's purely about getting blokes drafted to the AFL so Wade and company can get their nice little pats on the back and associated bonuses from the AFL and have nice little things said about them so they can feel all chuffed about themselves.
The fact that coastal sides have to travel to Launceston to host a major final is ridiculous and limits crowds numbers.
I seriously don't know how any club has made a dime out of this year except Glenorchy's Akermanis games, crowds have been horrible.
My rational would be to treat Statewide like the old days of the TFL, NTFA and NWFU
If a side from the coast qualifies first for the Grand Final or any Final it should be held on the coast.
If a side from Launceston qualifies first for any final Games it should be held at Aurora.
If a side from the South qualifies first it should be held at their preferred ground with maybe the grand Final held at the Library Bellerive
Kingpin I agree with the statements above about the Fans, and crowd numbers how do the clubs make any money on game days!

I dont know anyone one that is upset about having a grandfinal at York park. So no need to embarrass yourself with small minded jibes.
I hope they get a good roll up. I see they had 5200 at the NTFL & 3000 at the NTFA & 6907 at the SFL. If they get more than the SFL then that will be good. Anyway we all know that AFL Tas would use some creative accounting to ensure the crowd numbers beat the other regional leagues:eek:
Also is it an all north GF? isnt it a north v northwest final?? Since when was the coast part of Launceston??
I am pstoff yhat the ABC look like ending local footy broacasts. They are becoming next to useless if they dont care about anything that doesnt relate to Sydney or Melbourne. We should put a rocket up the politicians arses over this.

It's not Saturday night because to get ABC coverage it must be during the day. And besides, AFL Tas have sold packages for a day game for about the last month.

A bit stiff that the AFL Prelim is a day game - had it been two Victorian sides the game at the MCG would have been at night and everyone would have had the arvo free.

Perhaps the Sunday would be a better option for the Grand Final, guaranteed not to clash with the AFL then. Or maybe on the Friday night before the AFL Grand Final, but again probably not suitable for the ABC.

Looked to be a good crowd in the Gunns stand for the Prelim last weekend.

http://www.tasmanianstateleague.com.au/images/stories/News/preliminary final crowd.jpg
preliminary%20final%20crowd.jpg

Great that AFL Tas have kept ticket prices so low :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back