Last nights umpiring

Remove this Banner Ad

Wednesday

Club Legend
Sep 7, 2007
Arden St
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I know your only meant to whinge about the umpiring when you loose but how sh1t was it last night? There were some absolutely shocking and puzzling decisions going both ways all night. It didn't effect the result but it did detract from the game.

We got everything first quarter and were killed in 2 and 3. 4 was equal except the last 6 mins. Bad all around but both sides have every reason to complain.

I can't understand some of the holding the balls against us where the player was wrapped up front on head high and then pinged for holding the ball - drives me insane and it happened a few times.

I thought we had the better of it overall. Apart from that HTB against Hansen in the pocket which was utter, utter rubbish.

How sh!t was the decision of Harris running too far!! 10 steps!!

Get it right - 11 steps. :D Worse decision of the night. The ump must have been blind sided when he bounced - there is no other explanation.

Get it right - 11 steps. :D Worse decision of the night. The ump must have been blind sided when he bounced - there is no other explanation.

Aren't they supposed to be counting the steps? Or do they just say "that looks around about enough"?
Wells got pinged last week for bouncing on step number 13.
These blistering runs are one of the few things that make the modern game special. Players should be allowed to run their full measure without worrying about some trigger-happy maggot cutting them down!
I thought we got a fair shellacking by the umpires last night as a whole but there were a few embarrassing square-ups late in the game.
The holding-the-ball decsions were particularly one-sided. Not as bad the Geelong game though.
But, last night we won - so who really cares?

Geez, I don't know why you guys are whinging about the ran too far decision. According to the Collingwood supporters around me, it's two metres a step! :rolleyes:

We got everything first quarter and were killed in 2 and 3. 4 was equal except the last 6 mins. Bad all around but both sides have every reason to complain.

I can't understand some of the holding the balls against us where the player was wrapped up front on head high and then pinged for holding the ball - drives me insane and it happened a few times.

Totally agree. A player gets the ball, gets jumped on by 3 or 4 opponents and is stuck on the bottom with the ball underneath him. How does he get it out? But yes, we did get a good run in the first quarter.

The worst was the free against Boomer in the last.

The umpire said he ducked, well I don't know how you're supposed to pick up the ball without bending over to pick it up.

And to make it worse, he called the free against us for holding the ball when there was no prior.

Bizarre.

Holding the ball is obviously "rule of the week" this week. Unfortunately the umpires were only practising it on us until one of the losers got into the swing of it in the last 5 minutes.

On the positive side, we got an unbelievable run in the first 1/4, I reckon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The worst was the free against Boomer in the last.

The umpire said he ducked, well I don't know how you're supposed to pick up the ball without bending over to pick it up.

And to make it worse, he called the free against us for holding the ball when there was no prior.

Bizarre.

I agree. :thumbsdown:

Calamity hotch potch umpiring exhibition that 'luckily' didn't have an impact on the result. I'm not convinced the communication between the umpires exists. That's so sad.. I've officiated other sports and being 'water tight consistent' is what the base to controlling the game but the AFL have no control/ care over these matters ... it's all hotch potch... I'm over it.

Holding the ball is obviously "rule of the week" this week. Unfortunately the umpires were only practising it on us until one of the losers got into the swing of it in the last 5 minutes.

On the positive side, we got an unbelievable run in the first 1/4, I reckon.

true, true and true Mr. R!

Even Laids thought the running-to-far decision was ridiculous, judging from his reaction in the box. Stopped a goal-scoring chance. But other than that, it was terrible decisions both ways in equal proportions.

Aren't they supposed to be counting the steps? Or do they just say "that looks around about enough"?
Wells got pinged last week for bouncing on step number 13.

Talking with Wellsy last night, he reckons his 13 steps are about the equal of Harro's 25 steps, what with those stumpy little legs.:D

I felt we got the better of the umpiring decisions in the 1st quarter - the best part about that was to hear the Collingwood supporters sook hahahaha
Now they know how opposition supporters feel when everything goes their way!!

There was a guy near me who was off his head abusing the umpires, the players, & even made mention of North Melbourne No money & the Gold Coast .... I quietly mentioned to him after the game that money doesn't win matches :D

Talking with Wellsy last night, he reckons his 13 steps are about the equal of Harro's 25 steps, what with those stumpy little legs.:D

Did you hear Dermie tell the "Tonto Goldstein" joke on radio the other day?

The two tackles in a row early in the third quarter that wasn't paid holding the ball was absolute b@#*%!
Everyone in the crowd could see it but apparently not the ump.
Best reaction from the Nth faithfull I've heard in years, I think every single supporter at the ground was booing.
They scored their first goal for the qtr out of that outrage.

On 7 Buckley was commentating and said in the 2nd quarter that Collingwood were definitely getting the better of the umpiring.

From watching on TV and listening to the radio I thought we were on the rough end of plenty - especially the holding the ball ones that went their way but not ours - and they were very unlucky with the Burns late free, but not much else.

Easier to reflect from having won, I'd have been livid if it had been the difference.

On 7 Buckley was commentating and said in the 2nd quarter that Collingwood were definitely getting the better of the umpiring.

From watching on TV and listening to the radio I thought we were on the rough end of plenty - especially the holding the ball ones that went their way but not ours - and they were very unlucky with the Burns late free, but not much else.

Easier to reflect from having won, I'd have been livid if it had been the difference.

The scary part is that the AFL have a insecure clause.. it's called 'interpretation of the rules' which from the get-go has 'what rules, we make 'em up as we go along' written all over it. Clubs can jump up & down, the AFL won't change the result. The word 'consistency' DOES NOT EXIST in the AFL vocabulary. I've accepted that.:rolleyes: But the people in charge at the AFL are not accepting responsibility of what happens on game-day. That's just one of many decaying problems with our game. The fingernail rule is the epitome of what this great game has become. :eek: I loathe KB amongst others but they are the least of my issues.. just don't bother listening to dog dollops (rubbish) anymore. :thumbsdown:

What about when Lockyer tackled and held a North player to the ground after he took the mark. It wasn't a second thing either, he actually held him up. Most blatant 50 not paid. I mean is he the only player exempt from the rule? It happened not once, but twice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back