Last book you read?

Remove this Banner Ad

eliiiiza

Premiership Player
Mar 9, 2006
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm predicting this will be a pretty short thread compared to the movie one...

Just finished Life and Death in Shanghai by Nien Cheng, and beginning Meg Cabot's Queen of Babble now.

I've gone from one extreme to another, lol. :eek:

Fight Club - Chuck Palahniuk

Half way through JD Salinger's, "The Catcher In The Rye" atm.

Ah, "Catcher in the Rye" - another classic! :thumbsu:

Did you know that Chuck Palahniuk prefers the movie ending in "Fight Club" than the one in his book?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't remember the last book I read in full. Probably going back to when I was a kid and reading "The 27th Annual African Hippopotamus Race" over and over again.

I'm slowly working my way through "The Australian Game of Football" though.

I didn't read all of it, but I did flick through Strategic Nuclear War yesterday. Uplifting stuff - my favourite part was, in the analysis of a pure counterforce attack, the authors saying there'd 'only' be 8 million Soviet casualties.

I'm in a re-reading phase,

Just finished "The Perks of being a Wallflower" great book for anyone that enjoyed Catcher in the Rye,

halfway through "A heartbreaking work of staggering genius" by Dave Eggers.

Ah, "Catcher in the Rye" - another classic! :thumbsu:

Did you know that Chuck Palahniuk prefers the movie ending in "Fight Club" than the one in his book?

Yeah I heard him say he prefers the film to the book. And he should too, it is better. Perfect way to adapt a book into a film. Fincher is a master.

One of the many things the Nazi's had right was Burning books.
And toothbrush mos.

The Tyrannicide Brief by Geoffrey Robertson. 8/10.

Robbo's biography of John Cooke, prosecutor of Charles the First, based mainly on State Trial transcripts, and propaganda pamphlets written by Cooke. Dissects the legal shenanigans during England's civil war, and makes fascinating reading for anyone interested in Governmental change or procedural law reform. Message of the book is simple: England, be proud of your Republic.

Lowlight: Robbo allows his anti-royalist prejudices to override any sense of balance. He is, in effect, passionately advocating on behalf of a misrepresented figure in history. In doing so he assumes virtuous motives to all Cooke's actions, whitewashes the less...beneficial of Parliamentary actions during the Civil War, and avoids addressing some obvious counterarguments. Though he clearly and thoroughly cites his sources, I was left feeling unconvinced that I was being painted the full picture. Needs to be read with a companion book written from a *shudder* monarchist perspective.

Highlight: the trial of John Lilburne, pissing in the courtroom. Gotta love those wacky aristocrats.

just finished reading the Mission the other day.
seems the most appropiate place to say that.

i love how in depth it was with trivial things like what specific players were doing pre-grand final and how in depth it was with the review in 06 and the Steve Johnson incident at Christmas

Remove this Banner Ad

Back