Prediction Ladder predictions 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s that time of the year again to make your predictions.

Post your ladder, maybe even declare who will win the flag and the Brownlow.

If you want to use the Squiggle predictor and post a screenshot, here’s the link.

12th - 16th Think the kids will tire towards the end of the year.

Depends if Finn, Morrison and Nash improve substantially. If not, then the kids will be given more of a go, and we will suffer losses whilst developing them.

1. Richmond
2. Melbourne
3. Sydney
4. Fremantle
5. Brisbane
6. Carlton
7. Gold Coast
8. Geelong
9. Port Adelaide
10. Collingwood
11. West Coast
12. Bulldogs
13. Hawthorn
14. GWS
15. Adelaide
16. St Kilda
17. North
18. Essendon

NB: all 3 Melbourne clubs who appointed recycled coaches to stay down the bottom. None of those guys went off to another club (like Voss) and learnt new things. I’m not convinced any of those guys have the necessary ability to connect with young playing groups and suspect each club will be surprised they don’t get improvement.

1. Geelong (another soft draw but will fold in September)
2. Richmond
3. Brisbane
4. Melbourne
5. Collingwood
6. Bulldogs
7. Carlton
8. Freo

9-12 Shitney, Port, St Kilda Hawthorn
13-16 GC, Adelaide, West Coast, GWS
17-18 North Essendon

GF: Rich v Melb with Dees winning by under 10
Brownlow: Oliver
Rising Star: Sheezel
First coach sacked: Hinkley or Simpson

1 Brisbane
2 Fremantle
3 Melbourne
4 Geelong
5 Richmond
6 Bulldogs
7 Sydney
8 Carlton
12 Collingwood
13 GWS
14 St Kilda
15 Adelaide
16 North
17 Hawthorn
18 West Coast

Flag: Brisbane
Brownlow: Brayshaw

Last edited:
1 Brisbane
2 Melbourne
3 Fremantle
4 Geelong
5 Richmond
6 Collingwood
7 Sydney
8 Carlton
12 Gold Coast
13 GWS
14 St Kilda
15 Hawthorn
16 Adelaide
17 North Melbourne
18 West Coast

It’s potentially the most difficult year in memory to predict but here goes:
1 Geelong
2 Brisbane
3 Melbourne
4 Sydney
5 Richmond
6 Carlton
7 Western Bulldogs
8 Collingwood
12 Essendon
13 West Coast
14 St Kilda
15 Adelaide
16 Hawthorn
17 GWS
18 North Melbourne

1. Lions- finish top but will go out straight sets. Cornes will request an AFL enquiry into Gunstons FA move asking for us to be fined
2. Cats - runaway favs at round 15 , others will catch and overtake them by finals
3. Swans - will buck the trend and follow a GF mauling with a strong season
4. Dees - will dominate games without killing the scoreboard . This will.hurt them in finals again
5. Tigers - very slow start but finish with a rush and the 'form side'
6. Suns - enough said
7. Blues - still will underperform but make finals
8. Dogs - strong , deep mids get them into 8
9. Bombers - just miss 8 and its glorious to watch
10 . Pies - dont win the close one's, Daicos second year Blues
11. Freo - another year away
12. Port - average and going nowhere
13.Saints - average and going nowhere
14.Giants - average and going nowhere
15. Hawks - will tire but enough positive signs
16.North - will improve decently and get around 5 wins
17. Crows - will improve but other bottom sides will have more talent
18. Eagles - troublesville

Premiers
Richmond def Melbourne by 44pts , lead by 6 at 3/4 time
Brownlow - Touk Miller
Coleman - Ugle-Hagan 63
- AFL look to revamp finals system after Cats and Lions exit in straight sets

Forum highlights
  • Grumbleguts doesn't correct spelling or grammer on a post with errors
  • Hodgeyroad goes a week without mentioning Geelong
  • gameday discussion doesn't blame umpiring
  • all posters agree on selection on at least one game this season
  • a week goes post without someone revisiting the 'Omera' or ' Mitchell' trades
  • Harry Morrison gets described as 'dynamic' and ' game breaking' by post in autopsy thread

1. Lions- finish top but will go out straight sets. Cornes will request an AFL enquiry into Gunstons FA move asking for us to be fined
2. Cats - runaway favs at round 15 , others will catch and overtake them by finals
3. Swans - will buck the trend and follow a GF mauling with a strong season
4. Dees - will dominate games without killing the scoreboard . This will.hurt them in finals again
5. Tigers - very slow start but finish with a rush and the 'form side'
6. Suns - enough said
7. Blues - still will underperform but make finals
8. Dogs - strong , deep mids get them into 8
9. Bombers - just miss 8 and its glorious to watch
10 . Pies - dont win the close one's, Daicos second year Blues
11. Freo - another year away
12. Port - average and going nowhere
13.Saints - average and going nowhere
14.Giants - average and going nowhere
15. Hawks - will tire but enough positive signs
16.North - will improve decently and get around 5 wins
17. Crows - will improve but other bottom sides will have more talent
18. Eagles - troublesville

Premiers
Richmond def Melbourne by 44pts , lead by 6 at 3/4 time
Brownlow - Touk Miller
Coleman - Ugle-Hagan 63
- AFL look to revamp finals system after Cats and Lions exit in straight sets

Forum highlights
  • Harry Morrison gets described as 'dynamic' and ' game breaking' by post in autopsy thread
grammar*

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think your lost. This isn't SYL's positivity thread ;)

NB: all 3 Melbourne clubs who appointed recycled coaches to stay down the bottom. None of those guys went off to another club (like Voss) and learnt new things. I’m not convinced any of those guys have the necessary ability to connect with young playing groups and suspect each club will be surprised they don’t get improvement.
Excellent point

1 Brisbane
2 Fremantle
3 Melbourne
4 Geelong
5 Richmond
6 Bulldogs
7 Sydney
8 Carlton
12 Collingwood
13 GWS
14 St Kilda
15 Adelaide
16 North
17 Hawthorn
18 West Coast

Flag: Brisbane
Brownlow: Brayshaw

Freo and Essendon each a few spots too high for mine, but apart from that, pretty on the money for me :thumbsu:

1. Lions - They had the most impactful offseason by a wide margin, adding the composure and experience their forward line needed to hold on in a prelim.

2. Cats - Hoping there's a bit of reverse psychology with putting them high, then having them finally regress. If their forward line stay as potent and their backline maintains it's aerial dominance then they'll be tough to beat.

3. Blues - Easiest schedule, a healthy backline, and an extra year in the kids put them over the hump. They'll start off slower than expected before storming their way into the four just to keep their fans on their toes, then go out in straight sets.

4. Dees - They will always have the best ruck at the contest with the two best midfielders in the competition at their feet, with a solidly competent backline and enough options forward to make to work.

5. Swans - Kids will only get better, getting McDonald games at CHF will dramatically improve his stock now that Reid is on the older side. But their core players are slowing down, and I can't see Parker or Buddy putting up last years effort again.

6. Tigers - Growing pains for a very new midfield will dull their start, but they'll click by the bye and start playing at the level.

7. Suns - This must be the year for them. Touk can carry the world on his shoulders, Matt and Noah are another year developed and refined, and they have their King twin back in action alongside Chol. Could very well be the surprise top 4 team of the year, or could lolsuns their way to 9th.

8. Dogs - They lost a lot, gained a little, and have more Key Forwards than the AA team has midfielders. But if Bont, Macrae, and Baz don't get shuffled around to back pocket or Centre Half Bench by Bevo they'll win some big games. Big year for JUH, Naughty, and Bruce to become the centrepiece of their offence.
-
9. Freo - Lost some underrated role players, got some good youth, but they'll take a few rounds to adjust.

10. Pies - The team that clutches every week one season pretty much always regresses back to the mean the next. This feels about right for their list as well, I'd take pretty much every team above them in a home and away match on most nights.

11. Port - They have some big holes in their list, but the raw talent in the midfield and the backbone of Aliir Aliir should win them some exciting games.

12. Bombers - Scum bad, soft mids. That's about all I want to say about them.

13. Eagles - Won't have the same injury bug as last year, and with a crop of well-developed kids coming through they could be a surprise packet.

14. Saints - I have little faith in Ross Lyon with the list he has to work with. Steele's greatness might get him close to a brownlow, but the team will not score enough nor lock the good teams down.

15. North - Clarkson seems to think the rebuild is all but over and is in a ladder-climbing mood. It'll take him a few seasons to get the team back into the realm of competent.

16. Crows - Young list, but I'm again wondering if Tex can bring his expected production or whether anyone else can step up and kick their goals. I'm not confident in their backline against any remotely physical forward duo.

17. Hawks - We'll have to tinker to find what the best midfield mix is, and until then we've got some rough players in key roles without a massive leadership presence on the ground to steady the team when we get a few goals tacked on against us quickly. I'm mentally set for a rewardingly painful year.

18. Giants - They still don't have a key forward, their backline without Haynes or Davis is going to be rough, and they lost two of their better midfielders (not that they ever got played in their best position). Who knows though, maybe it really was just all Cameron and Kingsley can pull a McRae.

1. Melbourne
2. Brisbane
3. Geelong
4. Sydney
5. Dogs
6. Richmond
7. Freo
8. Carlton
9. Port
10. Pies
11. GC
12. GWS
13.Saints
14.Adelaide
15. Essendon
16. Eagles
17.North
18.Hawthorn

Hard to be optimistic about our chances of moving up the ladder this year, given we've dumped so much experience in Big boy, Mitchell, JOM, Shiels, and Gunston. We are apparently now the youngest list, and given we also dumped some experienced depth players in the likes of Hartigan, Phillips and Howe you'd think our best 22 is likely to also be the youngest fielded most weeks. That doesn't speak to an upwards ladder progression to me, given I think it is probably a bit too soon for some of our younger kids to develop right away into improved versions of what we've got leaving (hopefully only one or two seasons too soon for that start happening). North seem to be our only real competition for last spot, and they are (on paper) a couple of years ahead of us rebuild wise, and Clarko is probably a good enough coach to keep them out of last spot.

I'll be very pleasantly surprised if we can escape the bottom 4, and if we do I think it will say a lot about how quickly the kids have progressed, as our age profile suggests we've still got a LOT of development left to come. Despite being pessimistic about our prospects this year, there should still be plenty of interest to be had from watching so many kids development together, I just hope the smashings don't knock too much of the enthusiasm out of them. We turned around quickly from horrendous 2004/2005 seasons off the back of young talent. Hopefully we can replicate that.

1. Melbourne
2. Brisbane
3. Geelong
4. Sydney
5. Dogs
6. Richmond
7. Freo
8. Carlton
9. Port
10. Pies
11. GC
12. GWS
13.Saints
14.Adelaide
15. Essendon
16. Eagles
17.North
18.Hawthorn

Hard to be optimistic about our chances of moving up the ladder this year, given we've dumped so much experience in Big boy, Mitchell, JOM, Shiels, and Gunston. We are apparently now the youngest list, and given we also dumped some experienced depth players in the likes of Hartigan, Phillips and Howe you'd think our best 22 is likely to also be the youngest fielded most weeks. That doesn't speak to an upwards ladder progression to me, given I think it is probably a bit too soon for some of our younger kids to develop right away into improved versions of what we've got leaving (hopefully only one or two seasons too soon for that start happening). North seem to be our only real competition for last spot, and they are (on paper) a couple of years ahead of us rebuild wise, and Clarko is probably a good enough coach to keep them out of last spot.

I'll be very pleasantly surprised if we can escape the bottom 4, and if we do I think it will say a lot about how quickly the kids have progressed, as our age profile suggests we've still got a LOT of development left to come. Despite being pessimistic about our prospects this year, there should still be plenty of interest to be had from watching so many kids development together, I just hope the smashings don't knock too much of the enthusiasm out of them. We turned around quickly from horrendous 2004/2005 seasons off the back of young talent. Hopefully we can replicate that.
Its not that hard actually

1. Hawthorn

See there you go 🙂

1. Hawthorn

Premiers by 11 goals.

Will Day - Norm Smith 32 touches, 14 Marks, 3 Goals.

Brockman & Butler kick 8 between them

Meek and Ned monster the opposition, 10 Contested marks between them.

DGB takes 10 intercept marks in a commanding display and gets reported twice for rough conduct

Jeka kicks 4 sausage rolls in the last Qtr.

Amon has 10 inside 50’s

Weddle keeps Isaac Smith to 1 touch in 3 Qtrs of football.

Jai & Worpel 20 tackles between them

CMac 35 touches 2 goals (2nd in the Norm Smith)

Cooper Stephens 10 clearances

CJ takes mark of the Year in the 3rd qtr

Remove this Banner Ad

Back