Random "Laconic"

Remove this Banner Ad

satan1

Club Legend
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hello all, my first post in the lounge.

Since we seem to have some language buffs around our board I thought I would ask about our use of the word "Laconic".

I have always been taken to believe that the word meant laid-back, almost disinterested, easy going etc. Often used to describe athletes who had great skills but appeared to lack endeavor.

For some reason today I decided to look it up in the dictionary and was surprised to be unable to find any meaning listed to support what I believed the word to mean.

All meanings i found were along the lines of:

la·con·ic
adjective
using few words; expressing much in few words; concise: a laconic reply.
Does any one know how it entered our vocabulary to mean differently when describing sportsmen? Is it an Australian use?
I wonder if it was originally used to describe players that only looked interested for a brief period of time and evolved to take on more meaning over time.

Yeah, this surprised me too.
In a literal sense, it implies efficiency, but this is transposed with deficiency in a sporting/physical sense ie the efficiency of movement lacks an expected intensity or physical application.

Languages are fascinating.

Has always had the lazy element attatched to it in football terms.

Not sure i can recall a specific commentator using it.

Has always had the lazy element attatched to it in football terms.

Not sure i can recall a specific commentator using it.

I often heard 'lackadaisical' in decades gone by. The means lazy. Oh how I miss 3LO 3UZ 3AW 3DB all having different games on at once :)

Laconic is a Greek word describing the people of Lakon (Sparta) who were notoriously terse in speech. So says Google anyhoo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back