MRP / Trib. Kossie Pickett hit on Bailey Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Not identical but both late, high highs where they left the ground.

Both wanted to hurt the opposition player, one really did and one didn't really

But I agree they aren't exactly the same. And I don't have an issue with Pickett getting rubbed out tbf. But * me some of the s**t that has been sprouted on here and the media over the past few days is laughable
Yeah, I agree with you entirely. Some drivel in this thread and in the media no doubt. I love Kozzie as a player and I'm sure he'll put this behind him and we'll forget about it by mid-season.

you should lose ability to argue intent when you choose to bump in a non-football act.

neither of these actions was a football act. Both franklin and Pickett made contact with the aim to cause damage, not play for the football. They are completely different to a typical football act IE making a play to gain possession of the ball.

Both should have been graded intentional which adds 1 week onto each. Pickett gets 3 weeks and Franklin gets 2. Most people would be happy with that and it sets the precedent in round 1 that if you decide to bump in a non-football act, it will be graded as intentional.
Agree on both being intentional. However Franklin's hit caused more damage, and was a deliberate strike to the head. Both should be 4 weeks minimum, Franklin longer for previous offenses.

Not that bad of a hit really in terms of timing, just very dumb of him to leap like that lol

On watching the replay on one of the drivel shows on fox footy, i noticed that smith actually pats pickett on the bum and says 'nice hit' or something similar? respect for smith went up 10fold after that.

However, i am surprised at it only being 2 weeks, i think buddys pissant punishment actually helped pickett as too big of a discrepancy there would've raised eyebrows

These kinds of hits should be sin-binned.

I used to love the bump but the evidence is overwhelming - Footy is already a dangerous sport without these deliberate, late, unnecessary hits.

Two weeks is a disgrace.

Agree on both being intentional. However Franklin's hit caused more damage, and was a deliberate strike to the head. Both should be 4 weeks minimum, Franklin longer for previous offenses.
Biggest thing in Pickett's favour is the other 2 have a history of brain fades to term it nicely. McAdam in particular has proven there's not a lot of critical thinking happening upstairs on far too many occasions.

If AFL are serious about outlawing acts like this and getting consistency in their decisions the way they determine punishment needs to change. Your always going to get inconsistencies when your main determination of punishment is the result not the act.

AFL will look for any excuse not to give Franklin a suspension of that length no matter how much he deserves it, he brings in too much revenue and AFL House's priority above all else is to make money. It's a lot easier for the AFL to give Franklin a nonsense penalty rely on the outcry from the brain-dead football media to give them the air time and apply the statement making penalty to a lesser draw card player. It's not fair and it's not right but it's smart business.

McAdam has a proven record of being a brain dead moron. In other words, McAdam has a prior history.
What, and buddy doesn't????
How many times has Buddy been sighted for this sort of thing?
1 week for Buddy is a farce.
He's a protected species with the AFL.

What, and buddy doesn't????
How many times has Buddy been sighted for this sort of thing?
1 week for Buddy is a farce.
He's a protected species with the AFL.
Completely agree. Only reason I didn't mention Franklin is the question I was responding to asked the difference between McAdam and Pickett and didn't mention Franklin.

If you read the comment I made before the one you replied to you'd have seen my opinion on Franklin and why the AFL won't give him a major suspension.

Last edited by a moderator:
Few rumours this week that a few of the senior demons players arent too happy with Kozzies behaviour on and off field.

Gawns comments on the radio probably give this a bit of credit too.

Hes gotten way ahead of himself and is loving the fact he is being chased by Port.

Hard to see him being at the Dees next year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should have an order off rule for these acts.

Should have got 12 weeks,

Targeting the player's head. without any reasonable attempt at actually playing football. Anything close to this should start at 10 weeks. It was alwaysgoping to be high.

Any bump that end up head high should be 4 (intentional or not)

(buddy should have got 4, McAdam 12 maybe more)

Few rumours this week that a few of the senior demons players arent too happy with Kozzies behaviour on and off field.

Hes gotten way ahead of himself and is loving the fact he is being chased by Port.

What did Gawn say?

Not shocked. Seems like a massive FIGJAM

Remove this Banner Ad

Back