Kids who play junior footy

Remove this Banner Ad

So my oldest made the Interleague team. Gets to play a few game in the school holidays against all the other leagues in Gippsland so should be a great experience for him!!
That's awesome EDFL!!!!

In Queensland we have a district team, then you try out for the regional team and then the state team.

Is interleague a similar pathway?

That's awesome EDFL!!!!

In Queensland we have a district team, then you try out for the regional team and then the state team.

Is interleague a similar pathway?

Think it would be a lot harder to make the Vic state team with a lot more levels to go through. Not sure how many 11 year olds play footy in Vic compared to Queensland but I assume it would be 10s of thousands more. I really dont have any idea how to get to that level but my bloke is certainly not in that class.
They do have the SSV (State Schools of Victoria) which a few of his teammates in the interleague team tried out for but none made it. Obviously a very competitive team to make though.

Think it would be a lot harder to make the Vic state team with a lot more levels to go through. Not sure how many 11 year olds play footy in Vic compared to Queensland but I assume it would be 10s of thousands more. I really dont have any idea how to get to that level but my bloke is certainly not in that class.
They do have the SSV (State Schools of Victoria) which a few of his teammates in the interleague team tried out for but none made it. Obviously a very competitive team to make though.
Totally agree re: state team. It'd be way easier to make the district, regional teams here. Not even half the kids here play AFL. Soccer is most popular then league and AFL seem an even split, at least in my area it is.

I just love watch junior footage and seeing how tema set up, individuals take the game on etc.

Congrats on your boy with the interleague!!

I am the team manager for Oak Park U17’s. We’re division 2 but have a pretty good team despite being a bit light on for numbers. Had a good win over Roxburgh Park on the weekend despite only having 17 players.

My brother won a flag for Oaky u15s or 17s.

He's in his mid 40s now so it was a while ago.

My youngest bloke who is nearly 10 only did one season of Auskick. The reason he didn’t go back the next year was because he wasn’t allowed to tackle! Most boys are a bit rough and love to tackle so I totally disagree with the no tackling rules. If there’s no tackling it’s not really footy is it?

Round here (and in qld) a year of league will sort out their tackling. #DeadlylikeJedly

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have to ask how did they get ferball?

We won a flag, lost a GF and had a very ordinary season the three times I did it. Personnel makes a huge difference. That GF we lost had a kid at FF who couldn't run cos of polio or sclorosis or something. And the team that beat us snuck an U16 ring in into the side as we found out later. (He dominated the game.) I feel for that kid with the bad legs - he deserved a flag but it was not to be.

Nice to see that footage jlind, brought back a few memories of my junior days up in QLD. I played for Springwood, I remember making the journey out to Jindalee when the Jags first started as a club. Great to see the kids enjoying themselves so much, one of the great things of sport.

He's showing some pretty nice skills. I reckon he's sweet on number 35, he seemed to set her up for a few goals when he could have had a shot himself.
Haha yeah I asked him why he was obviously trying to get her the ball so much? His coach told him he could only 2-3 goals a quarter, after that he has to bring teammates into the game. She had only kicked 1 goal ever before. Matty has kicked about 130 in 50 games. I actually like that he looks to give it off and not try to kick as many as possible.

His older brother kicked 9 in a 10 min quarter last year and I blasted him haha

He is obviously a good player. Not that I’m an expert but I notice he always goes back into his right foot. While he is dominant would probably be a good time for him to learn to kick with his left foot. Does he start playing proper footy next year??
Next year will be semi tackle and yes I agree he needs to use his left more. It's really hard in no tackle, everyone stands back so if given time and space most kids will use their good foot.

Maybe after the holidays I'll challenge him to play a whole quarter on just his left.

At training they had several kicking competitions and the coach made him compete on his wrong and he still won.

I just need to keep in my head that in Victoria he would be one of the 'normal' players. Very easy to get ahead of myself up here.

Next year will be semi tackle and yes I agree he needs to use his left more. It's really hard in no tackle, everyone stands back so if given time and space most kids will use their good foot.

Maybe after the holidays I'll challenge him to play a whole quarter on just his left.

At training they had several kicking competitions and the coach made him compete on his wrong and he still won.

I just need to keep in my head that in Victoria he would be one of the 'normal' players. Very easy to get ahead of myself up here.

So how do you define semi tackle??
No reason to think that he wouldnt be a dominant player in Victoria! He looks big for his age? which is an advantage too.

That team I won a flag coaching ended up with a kid who won the B&F for the u15s national carnival. A bunch of kids in his year and the year above ended up in the state squad for NSW and four ended up travelling to vic to play for NSW. All from one small school in country NSW. You never know how good kids actually are till they find their level.

Your boy tho -

Bringing team mates into play and actually looking to do it during a junior game is how he will develop all that creative vision and game smarts that the best players have. And encouraging him to play a whole quarter using the wrong side of his body - that's a good start especially if you can build it up to playing a whole game using the wrong side. Good development for the kid mate.:thumbsu: That's all you can do really. Natural talent is great but these days its the sort of extra development you are talking about that'll give kids a chance of a future in the game. Even if they don't make it to AFL level if they are good it opens up opportunities. Jobs all over the place if you can play good country footy and if you are really good enough you can make a few extra bucks a game.

So how do you define semi tackle??
No reason to think that he wouldnt be a dominant player in Victoria! He looks big for his age? which is an advantage too.
semi-tackle is probably the wrong word. It's wrap your arms around only, no bringing to ground. So, easier for bigger kids to still get the ball away.

Yeah he's a big boy for 7. about 140cm. So he outweighs a lot of his teammates by 10-15kg. He also won the school cross country last week so fast/endurance too. oh and he loves the rough stuff so loves playing up.

Guess I'll just have to wait to and see with these 2.

Here he's playing up with the 10s (His brother is ok too #1 in the white jersey.) They won 3 goals to 1. Ben #1 9yo kicked 2 and Matty #18 (he wanted it for obvious reasons) kicked the other. Matty's is about 4:30m into it, shows his toe.

That team I won a flag coaching ended up with a kid who won the B&F for the u15s national carnival. A bunch of kids in his year and the year above ended up in the state squad for NSW and four ended up travelling to vic to play for NSW. All from one small school in country NSW. You never know how good kids actually are till they find their level.

Your boy tho -

Bringing team mates into play and actually looking to do it during a junior game is how he will develop all that creative vision and game smarts that the best players have. And encouraging him to play a whole quarter using the wrong side of his body - that's a good start especially if you can build it up to playing a whole game using the wrong side. Good development for the kid mate.:thumbsu: That's all you can do really. Natural talent is great but these days its the sort of extra development you are talking about that'll give kids a chance of a future in the game. Even if they don't make it to AFL level if they are good it opens up opportunities. Jobs all over the place if you can play good country footy and if you are really good enough you can make a few extra bucks a game.
You're really not helping keeping my hopes down haha My mum lives in Kingscliff and I live in Banora Point for while. How far south of the border are you?

Anyway, feels like I'm just boasting about my boys, does anyone have footage of junior footy?

semi-tackle is probably the wrong word. It's wrap your arms around only, no bringing to ground. So, easier for bigger kids to still get the ball away.

Yeah he's a big boy for 7. about 140cm. So he outweighs a lot of his teammates by 10-15kg. He also won the school cross country last week so fast/endurance too. oh and he loves the rough stuff so loves playing up.

Guess I'll just have to wait to and see with these 2.

Here he's playing up with the 10s (His brother is ok too #1 in the white jersey.) They won 3 goals to 1. Ben #1 9yo kicked 2 and Matty #18 (he wanted it for obvious reasons) kicked the other. Matty's is about 4:30m into it, shows his toe.

You're really not helping keeping my hopes down haha My mum lives in Kingscliff and I live in Banora Point for while. How far south of the border are you?

Anyway, feels like I'm just boasting about my boys, does anyone have footage of junior footy?

Not far at all. 20 - 25 km in a straight line north. But its all jungle and mountains. I'm about 80 km from Tweed Heads out the back of Murwillumbah. Somewhere in between Kyogle and Nimbin in the foothills of the Border Ranges. 2 or 2.5 hrs from Brissie depending on the traffic and if you take the coast road or thru Beaudesert. Almost due south of Jindalee actually.

There's nothing wrong with being proud of your boys playing footy. Thats what things like BF are for isn't it?:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back