Senior Keidean Coleman (2019-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Bio
Returned to the NEAFL as a 19-year-old, where he enjoyed stints both forward and across half-back. He has electric speed, while he's capable of setting up the play with his clean ball use and his smarts with the footy. He's tied to the Brisbane Academy.

Highlights @ https://draftprospects.prod.afl/prospect/1006059

Last edited:

Thought you may have had an inside work...I actually thought I may have inadvertently hit pause earlier and was a couple of minutes behind the coverage.
I'm going to chuck a tantrum and delete this with venom if we don't. I haven't been hugely invested in the draft for a while now but I desperately want Coleman after watching the seconds. Big man crush.

Edit: Yay!

Had a little look into Coleman's background and found some interesting stuff. He was born in Katherine, Northern Territory and moved to Brisbane at 11 years old to live with his uncle and aunty in the hopes of pursuing a career in football. He played junior football for the Wynnum Vikings and attended Brisbane Bayside State College. According to Keidean, it was his decision to move to Brisbane and a big reason for moving related to a Christmas holiday he enjoyed in Queensland as a youngster. His uncle later suggested he should join Morningside as it would give him an excellent opportunity to make it to the AFL, which led to being placed in the Lions academy. So I guess you could say Coleman is half Territorian, half Queenslander. I think it's great to see more Territorians being placed on Queensland lists because of the proximity and similarities in culture. We picked up Malcolm Rosas Jr and you guys got Coleman. Plus you guys already had Zac Bailey.

So Coleman is the fourth indigenous player on your list after Charlie Cameron, Cedric Cox and Allen Christensen?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Coleman is the fourth indigenous player on your list after Charlie Cameron, Cedric Cox and Allen Christensen?
Sixth - Ellis-Yeoman and Ah Chee.

This is true Rip. Fortunate enough to have coached Keidean at the state championships a couple of years in a row. He is a first class footballer from a great family. Will have a long and successful AFL career. Don't be surprised if he isn't pushing for a spot in Rd1. Cameron and Coleman in that forward line could be something special.

Brisbane to unleash Academy product in Friday night blockbuster against Collingwood
The Lions will unveil their sixth debutant for the season, with 20-year-old Academy product Keidean Coleman to play his first game in a match the home team is desperate to win.

Fagan said his team looked energised and he was confident in unleashing half-forward Coleman on the big stage. "He's had some fantastic performances this year," Fagan said. "He's got beautiful skills, great balance, (he's a) good tackler. "I think it's great he gets his opportunity. His is a really good story. "He moved from Darwin when he was nine years old to improve his education and get a chance at footy and here he is 10 years later getting his debut."

Coleman will replace the suspended Lincoln McCarthy, while veteran defender Daniel Rich is also expected to force his way back into the team after missing the most recent match with a tight hamstring.
1599105100843.png

Keidean Coleman's promising debut
For a 20-year-old playing his first game, young Lion Keidean Coleman looked right at home. Given his opportunity to replace the suspended Lincoln McCarthy, Coleman mixed lightning speed to pressure opposition defenders with composure and good decision-making to impress with ball in hand. The small forward finished with 12 disposals, four marks and four tackles and will be hard to leave out of the Lions' next match against Gold Coast on Wednesday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back