Earl Hickey

Team Captain
Nov 12, 2009
Shepparton
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Lebron James
Rushy's playing stocks got a boost during the week with the signings of Lenny & Lewis Clarke, who both come with big wraps after playing in a senior flag with Deni this year. They're bringing Pogue with them, who I must admit I don't know much about (maybe you've seen him play, Hank?). Also, Sam Nelson recommitted to the club and power forward Jake Llyod has also signed.

2 time Tatura reserves premiership coach, Brendan Vanderdonk, has been appointed assistant coach and will coach from the bench on game days.

So no losses at the moment and a few key additions, plus injury free seasons from key youngsters Lambden, Clarke and Martin should hopefully hold us in good stead for another competitive season.

Lachy Armstrong from Tat, also coming across isn't he?

Re: Kdfl - 2011

Rushy's playing stocks got a boost during the week with the signings of Lenny & Lewis Clarke, who both come with big wraps after playing in a senior flag with Deni this year. They're bringing Pogue with them, who I must admit I don't know much about (maybe you've seen him play, Hank?). Also, Sam Nelson recommitted to the club and power forward Jake Llyod has also signed.

2 time Tatura reserves premiership coach, Brendan Vanderdonk, has been appointed assistant coach and will coach from the bench on game days.

So no losses at the moment and a few key additions, plus injury free seasons from key youngsters Lambden, Clarke and Martin should hopefully hold us in good stead for another competitive season.
What about you Tav, will you get many games in next year?

What were the numbers like at gig's first training run last night? Many new faces?

Thats a fair effort to pick up a couple of deni boys!! Are they orginally from the area or have you guys enticed them to move to the the town of rushworth?? By all reports and with the recruits that are being thrown around the kdl will be an improved leauge next year i would think?? The top 3 or 4 teams will be very sharp!! Is H.barnett lanky,s main recruit???

It looks like the comp will be as strong as it has ever been. from all reports, vt, murch and rushy have recruits that are genuine major league players and will boost the kdls name a fair bit. the top 4 will definitely be sharp and the encouraging part is the fact that the bottom 4 will all look to improve, so no easy beats.
as we say this time every year, the money being paid sounds ridiculous and i hope clubs can afford it. durwards money is beyond what i thought a kdl club could pay. you want a return (premiership) when you start outlaying a sum of money on one guy when 3 to 4 would normally be getting those "incentives". all the best.
from what i am told, barnett is lancys major recruit. they might want another onballer or key back if they are to mix it with the other top 2 or 3.

The money .. boyos .. it’s all about that payment to half arsxed district footy players you guys keep banging on about in the “off-season”.
Which one of the little 19 year old planker are we going to read about .. after playing major league seconds last year; with 4 games on the bench for the ones, come “out to the districts” ( as the slime .. erh .. manager .. maybe called Liam would say on that so called country footy show ). The teen will sell himself to the highest bidder. It’s mucking remakclfable I reckon!!
This “points” idea proposed by the dying VCFL must be implemented right now.
Say a major league player who “comes out to the districts” .. or a district player from another Club in the same comp are recruited.. they are maximum pointers
Clubs will realise you can’t buy a Coach who will bring big point players before you have exceed the points limit.
Administration? You may ask?
A number to register the players point score on the clearance/registration form is just one more variable to be keyed into the KDFL computer. From then on each Club must work within their points limitations.
Just try and cheat that mix .. even with coterie money outside of the club books ..eh?

Just luvin to see a potential end to this “legends in their own lifetime” player payment demands in .. for cripes sake! District football..
Cheers
John Carrot:thumbsu:
Ps Don’t get me started on the cricket at this time of the morning! Many more Aussi plankers in SAFlucker with the SAFfrons building a lead right now.! Know why those Paki plankers put their foot a foot over the line? To launder the gangster drug money mingled with silly punters on spot cricket betting from India etc.
My late old man said late last century, “Never punt on something that moves on two legs, Johnny!”;)

On that note Hank .. Shouldn’t you close 2011 and open up the 2012 thread?:rolleyes:
Training at Redlegs Stadium Longwood opens on December 4 /2011, under coach Brendan Redfern.:thumbsu:

The money .. boyos .. it’s all about that payment to half arsxed district footy players you guys keep banging on about in the “off-season”.
Which one of the little 19 year old planker are we going to read about .. after playing major league seconds last year; with 4 games on the bench for the ones, come “out to the districts” ( as the slime .. erh .. manager .. maybe called Liam would say on that so called country footy show ). The teen will sell himself to the highest bidder. It’s mucking remakclfable I reckon!!
This “points” idea proposed by the dying VCFL must be implemented right now.
Say a major league player who “comes out to the districts” .. or a district player from another Club in the same comp are recruited.. they are maximum pointers
Clubs will realise you can’t buy a Coach who will bring big point players before you have exceed the points limit.
Administration? You may ask?
A number to register the players point score on the clearance/registration form is just one more variable to be keyed into the KDFL computer. From then on each Club must work within their points limitations.
Just try and cheat that mix .. even with coterie money outside of the club books ..eh?

Just luvin to see a potential end to this “legends in their own lifetime” player payment demands in .. for cripes sake! District football..
Cheers
John Carrot:thumbsu:
Ps Don’t get me started on the cricket at this time of the morning! Many more Aussi plankers in SAFlucker with the SAFfrons building a lead right now.! Know why those Paki plankers put their foot a foot over the line? To launder the gangster drug money mingled with silly punters on spot cricket betting from India etc.
My late old man said late last century, “Never punt on something that moves on two legs, Johnny!”;)

On that note Hank .. Shouldn’t you close 2011 and open up the 2012 thread?:rolleyes:
Training at Redlegs Stadium Longwood opens on December 4 /2011, under coach Brendan Redfern.:thumbsu:
Do you think Redda would be able to recruit good players to the redleg stadium on your budget of $0 dollars?

Do you think Redda would be able to recruit good players to the redleg stadium on your budget of $0 dollars?
As I've banged on before JT .. I am totally against DISTRICT level players being paid a guaranteed stipend. What I totally support is cost recompense (committee also working with sponsors) to get players to a Club then a transparent method to reward those who earn their keep on match day.

Nowadays, this uncontrolled spending leads to success which breeds success - as you well know - but to me it means district footy disappearing up it's own "donkey" .. I was going to type arse but the computer would have censored it!! Cheers cobber - John Carrot!! :thumbsu:

As I've banged on before JT .. I am totally against DISTRICT level players being paid a guaranteed stipend. What I totally support is cost recompense (committee also working with sponsors) to get players to a Club then a transparent method to reward those who earn their keep on match day.

Nowadays, this uncontrolled spending leads to success which breeds success - as you well know - but to me it means district footy disappearing up it's own "donkey" .. I was going to type arse but the computer would have censored it!! Cheers cobber - John Carrot!! :thumbsu:

Keep banging that drum Johnny! The irony, of course, is that if longwood had the capacity to raise the funds, every man to a tee on the committee would propose to use it on attracting quality players to the club, and if you spent half your time using your pronounced and undoubted literary skills in writing proposals to prospective sponsors as you do pushing your own barrow on here about a topic you've flogged to death, the club would be in a much better financial position.

Keep banging that drum Johnny! The irony, of course, is that if longwood had the capacity to raise the funds, every man to a tee on the committee would propose to use it on attracting quality players to the club, and if you spent half your time using your pronounced and undoubted literary skills in writing proposals to prospective sponsors as you do pushing your own barrow on here about a topic you've flogged to death, the club would be in a much better financial position.

Cheers Tav
Timing is ironic .. eh mate.
I sent you a reply to your private message from 5 Nov at 8.00 pm tonight.

Then checked the BF to find this one.

No animosity old son .. have sent you another message to your address.

:thumbsu:Respect Cobber .. between us!

Cheers John Carrot:thumbsu:
ps And I'll keep banging my drum .. pushing the barrow and paddling the famous canoe until? I flog this topic to death or die!! Whichever of the latter two points come first!!!
Cheers again .. Aussie need 141 with 5 wickets left aginst the SAFluckins .. John Carrot

Here, here Tav

From the position they were in player wise they are looking at 3k a week more then they were spending just to make finals and 5k a week to finish top 2 and JC you may not agree but thats the way footys going , get on the payment cycle up the top for a few down the bottom for a few,adapt or die and yes many will die over the next decade which is what the vcfl wants

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the position they were in player wise they are looking at 3k a week more then they were spending just to make finals and 5k a week to finish top 2 and JC you may not agree but thats the way footys going , get on the payment cycle up the top for a few down the bottom for a few,adapt or die and yes many will die over the next decade which is what the vcfl wants

$54 to $90K a year player payments based on what you have suggested.
@ 90K 21 senior players = $238 average payment per player per week.
Seems awfully unlikely every player would be paid at this level so lets say

top 4 players $500 = $2000
Next 6 players $300 =$1800
Next 6 players $150 =$900
last 5 players play for $50 + incentives.

i think you find that the $90K isnt keeping up with the Joneses and by the look of recruits some clubs will be closer to $120k +. Thats major league money and with respect a matter of how long it can be sustained. only a couple of years at KDFL level I would think.

i think you find that the $90K isnt keeping up with the Joneses and by the look of recruits some clubs will be closer to $120k +. Thats major league money and with respect a matter of how long it can be sustained. only a couple of years at KDFL level I would think.
Clubs usually build on their bank balances for a few years then have a tilt at the big one, in most cases the money runs out after about the 2 or 3 year mark then they spend the next 5 years rebuilding again. The cycle is the same everywhere and as l tell alot of people that the big wheel eventually turns for every club...I don't see the point in spending an average amount and continually finishing middle of the run. If you don't win the big one you may as well finish last, this is my opinion and my opinion only...VT have been at both ends of the ladder but that's just how it is...whipping boys one minute and whipped the next...GG 120K l would think is a bit off the mark though...

Way off the mark IMO. Been on and off the Stanhope Committee since 2000, we budgeted for $2000 a game then (so after injuries we spent around $30,000 for the year and remember that was with G.Exell as playing coach), and this year we didnt budget per week but it ended up to be $35,000 for the year. I would assume in 08 when James played the full year it would have been above that, but not much has changed as far as our expenditure goes in the past decade. (Maybe it is time we bumped it up, but you can only spend within your means)
Now you can only guess but VT, Rushy & Lancy would have been above what we were spending, but if they were spending in excess of $50,000 then all I'd say is that they arent spending it very well.(Lancy excluded, reckon they would have just snuck under that mark anyway)
It has got to the point though that if a club isn't prepared to outlay a minimum of $2,000 a week then you aren't going to play finals, doesnt matter how good your junior development is. With Murch, Rushy, VT & Lancy all looking like (again only an educated guess) they will spend in excess of their outlay this year, that figure looks like it may rise.

By the way, thought someone would have posted about the new Nagambie Coach by now, think its been decided for a week or so, by the head of the Coach recruiting committee!!!, he decided to appoint himself after there was no sutiable applicants. A few players to return with him I believe, Ben Hutton, Danny Haysom are 2.

Way off the mark IMO. Been on and off the Stanhope Committee since 2000, we budgeted for $2000 a game then (so after injuries we spent around $30,000 for the year and remember that was with G.Exell as playing coach), and this year we didnt budget per week but it ended up to be $35,000 for the year. I would assume in 08 when James played the full year it would have been above that, but not much has changed as far as our expenditure goes in the past decade. (Maybe it is time we bumped it up, but you can only spend within your means)
Now you can only guess but VT, Rushy & Lancy would have been above what we were spending, but if they were spending in excess of $50,000 then all I'd say is that they arent spending it very well.(Lancy excluded, reckon they would have just snuck under that mark anyway)
It has got to the point though that if a club isn't prepared to outlay a minimum of $2,000 a week then you aren't going to play finals, doesnt matter how good your junior development is. With Murch, Rushy, VT & Lancy all looking like (again only an educated guess) they will spend in excess of their outlay this year, that figure looks like it may rise.
I don't know how the other small town clubs go but we find it hard to recruit good players to the club for zip. For us to remain a force, we need to spend but the figure of 120K is far from our budget.. At the moment there is a shortage of young kids in Vt in the age bracket of 14 to 18 so the local talent is just not there to remain competative, hence the player payments will be higher..This said, the next generation of young kids (2-8 years) has never been stronger with some fine pedigree breeds amongst them. Keeping them in the district is another thing..Football is like a double edged sword, if you don't spend the money and you flounder at the bottom of the ladder for a long period of time, then no-one wants to play or coach at your club, but on the other hand if you spend to buy success then how long will it last..Good on Stanhope for only having to spend minimal amounts to achieve success, but there may come a time where there is a major kid or talent shortage and the need to spend alot more to remain successful is required, or flounder at the bottom as mentioned..All in all there is no right or wrong way to run your club it how the people at the time see fit, the main aim is to keep the club running successfully for the next generation and beyond..

I don't know how the other small town clubs go but we find it hard to recruit good players to the club for zip. For us to remain a force, we need to spend but the figure of 120K is far from our budget.. At the moment there is a shortage of young kids in Vt in the age bracket of 14 to 18 so the local talent is just not there to remain competative, hence the player payments will be higher..This said, the next generation of young kids (2-8 years) has never been stronger with some fine pedigree breeds amongst them. Keeping them in the district is another thing..Football is like a double edged sword, if you don't spend the money and you flounder at the bottom of the ladder for a long period of time, then no-one wants to play or coach at your club, but on the other hand if you spend to buy success then how long will it last..Good on Stanhope for only having to spend minimal amounts to achieve success, but there may come a time where there is a major kid or talent shortage and the need to spend alot more to remain successful is required, or flounder at the bottom as mentioned..All in all there is no right or wrong way to run your club it how the people at the time see fit, the main aim is to keep the club running successfully for the next generation and beyond..
very interesting, sounds like you have done some research.
lets not forget, the quality of the person recruited and where the person is recruited from are vital. We have all seen some recruits to this league come and go and it didnt take einstein to realise they were only one year propositions. (no disrespect to gig, but they have made some howlers)
I look at stanhope and lancy who have been in the finals race for a long time and to me they usually tick both boxes. (their players play over the 50 game mark and they are good people around the district)
also, the further away from your club, the more it is a lottery, as quite often a melbourne based player might only last a year.
good to note that some of the rumoured players coming into the kdl are local products (not all, but some) which could mean sustained success.

Nice work GG but l did say 3k to 5k MORE then they are already spending

Good on Stanhope for only having to spend minimal amounts to achieve success, but there may come a time where there is a major kid or talent shortage and the need to spend alot more to remain successful is required, or flounder at the bottom as mentioned..All in all there is no right or wrong way to run your club it how the people at the time see fit, the main aim is to keep the club running successfully for the next generation and beyond..

Reckon that time is only around the corner jaxbac, if we don't recruit 4-5 quality players then I'd be surprised to see us playing finals this season. Lancy, VT, Rushy and Murch have set the bar early by signing on quality players already, you'd expect Nagambie to improve, don't know where Undera or Tally are at, a few rumblings that Avenel will improve but those same murmurs were about this time last year, Merrigum will improve dramatically, Longwood, Ardmona & Girgarre will be holding up the ladder.

hey hank, have heard you haven't recommitted to stanhope yet and there's mumors about retirement.... say it isn't so, i'll have no-one to hang s**t on next year :)

Hank with respect you double entredred yourself there. Not much has changed in the last decade for expenditure but with James I think everyone in country vic knows he was $1K a game and more when he went to Nth Bendigo. this alone would add $18K to the year. I know you were at Tonnie at this stage but he wasnt travelling to Stanhope because he loved the club and town.
It costs very good money for very good players and I think very good players in the league will be $500+ a game depending on what they have done.

Just a question, especially for those guys in sides who played finals this year. Do players really expect to get paid if they're in the bottom 10 players in the side? Especially if they're a local player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back