TigerTank

Premiership Player
Aug 24, 2000
Wendouree
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
KC Chiefs, Royal Park FNC, Man City
Over the past 12 months I have started taking a bit of an interest in NFL, and the Chiefs are my mob.

Any thoughts on how you reckon they'll go?

TT, welcome to the team. I've been a Chiefs fan for about 10 years now and I think we'll finish just out of the playoffs this year. We've been rebuilding and it may take another season to reap the rewards. We've done ok in the pre-season games, but they can be very misleading in the NFL.

Geez, if I'd known a Port supporter was barracking for them ...

Just kidding. ;)

A Yank mate of mine put me onto the Chiefs at about the same time I put him onto the Tigers. I tried to make him adopt Port as his most hated team, but he appears to have gone the traditional Richmond route of hating Carlton.

Ironically enough I sent him an AFV (Aust. Football Video) of Richmond v Carlton, and the order was stuffed up - they sent one copy of Richmond v Carlton, and one of the Port v Essendon game too. So he's used to seeing both Richmond and Port win.

He suggests that KC's record is not dissimilar to Richmonds.

Given that Richmond has made the finals this year, could this be an omen that KC will make the play-offs?

TT, I'm one Port supporter who hates the Cheifs. I don't hate them as much as Richmond though.;)

As the resident Big Footy NFL expert (I gave myself that title). I predict that the Cheifs will be around the mark this season. They will probably take the last playoff spot in the AFC conference which means they will finish about 6th in that conference.

They have lost their starting Quarterback in Elvis Grbac but they have picked up a good if not better replacement in Trent Green from the Rams. They have also picked up a good runningback in Priest Holmes from the Ravens which could be a good pick up because the Cheifs lack a good runningback.

The Cheifs also have a new coach in **** Vermeil. He won a Superbowl win the Rams 2 years ago. Vermeil is a very attacking coach so I expect the Cheifs with their good offense to be a very high scoring team this season. The only thing that might let them down is their defense isn't as good as others in the league and the fact that they have 2 quality teams in Denver and Oakland their division.

In my previous post the coaches name has come up as ***** Vermeil, it's not that I was calling him something bad it because his 1st name happens to be D !ck. Which happens to be a common name in the US for men over the age of 50.:D

I'll take a bite at this one. I believe the Chiefs will make the play-offs this year. I'm always a little optimistic in this regard. I love the Chiefs too much. If we can take Oakland for both and Denver at home, I'll be happy.

Although I was sorry to see Grbac leave, I think Trent Green is more than an adequate replacement for him. The Vermeil type offense is well suited for him (as well as Grbac).

We've won our first two pre-season games, but as already suggested, that doesn't really matter.

The important thing is it looks as if the new offense has gelled much better than you would expect in the first year with a new system.

We have good lines on both sides of the ball. I like Priest Holmes better than any running back we've had since Marcus Allen left.

I am mostly optimistic, because quite a few of things I was potentially concerned about haven't been a problem in the pre-season (that is what the pre-season is for).

Peace Mooster

Thanks for the information people ... and Port supporters.

The general gist seems to be that the Chiefs are good enough to make the play-offs, but they have a tough draw.

As long as we knock off that Oakland scum. They are my tip as the 'Carlton' of NFL.

Personally, I always thought Elvis was a dud.

TT, I would associate Oakland with Port Adelaide not Carlton. ;) I lived in San Francisco for a while and the mentality in Oakland is very Port Adelaide ( superior and flushed with success) :D

Mooster, I have Priest Holmes in a number of my fantasy teams. Is he going to be the featured Rb or is he going to split his carries with Richardson?. I not sure If I should keep Holmes on my teams or find a replacement. Your advise would be appreciated. I bet the Ravens wish they still had Holmes considering they have just lost Jamal Lewis for the season.

Priest Holmes averaged over 4 yards per carry before he came to KC. He did 6 in the first pre-season game, but of course that was against Washington and they suck presently. His form was great, so he can still run as well as he ever could even if our offensive line isn't dominating like they were against the 'Skins.

I'm happy with the Chiefs line this year. I was concerned about our new center (Casey Wiegman). He has played well thus far and our outgoing center - hats off - Tim Gunhart even says he is impressed with his replacement.

I'm not sure about him as a fantasy football pick. I don't play fantasy ball myself. It confuses my priorities when I am figuring other stats. The Chiefs offensive line is good enough to give Holmes some yardage, and he is good enough to get them, however, the Chiefs will run the ball less overall this year than they have in the previous twenty. You may be better off picking a smashmouth team with a so-so back.

Tenesee loves to run the ball. There guy Eddie George is good and may churn a lot of dirt this year regardless of how The Titans do overall. If you can get Edgerin James (Colts) or Faulk from St. Louis, those would be your sweet picks. Let me reiterate that I don't play fantasy ball so I could be talking out my behind.

To answer your other question, Priest Holmes will be the featured half-back for the Chiefs this year. Tony Richardson has always been a "between" sort as far as his size goes. He is larger than a traditional half-back, but smaller than a full. The KC offense won't require a monster in the fullback position, so he has been shifted there. I imagine he'll get a lot of carries. Vermeill offense of no, I cannot remember a time when KC ever levied the carrying responsibilites onto just one guy. Peace

Mooster

Thanks for that mooster7. I have 5 fantasy teams and I have Marshall Faulk in all of them, he is just the greatest. Each team needs two Rb's to start in them so I was just wondering if Priest Holmes was going to get enough carries for me to start him as my second back. At this stage I might just have to wait and see.

I know that Holmes isn't in the same class as Faulk but it will be interesting to see if Vermiel gets his backs involved in the passing game as much as he did with Faulk when he was coaching the Rams.

Anyway, thanks again for the information. It looks like the AFC West will be the toughest division in the league this season. All the best to you and your Cheifs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back