News Justin Hoskin signs with Willaston

Remove this Banner Ad

I recall a line of thought in another thread whereby it was suggested (by REH?) we should keep a rookie position for a Magpies player. It may have even been reylayed to the club at a members meeting? I'm wondering if this is the incarnation of said suggestion? RussellEbertHandball.

You have a good memory. I first mentioned it 12 months almost to the day in the thread about Keith Thomas and meeting him at a function where I represented the NSW supporters group at the club. See at the following post.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...-chief-executive.863009/page-13#post-22976616

Yep I have written that on here and made the recommendation to a couple of officials, in private conversations. It seems stupid that we are now one club, have a whole lot of young players looking for an opportunity, our last rookie spot has been a pass or a dud, we can watch these kids closer than any others, so why not use it on a Magpies player and help with the integration of the 2 squads of players.

REH do you know how the wage works? Eg Port have to pay a rookie wage but he gets to play for the magpies and therefore they don't have to pay an sanfl wage. Therefore a club saving overall ?

REH do you know how the wage works? Eg Port have to pay a rookie wage but he gets to play for the magpies and therefore they don't have to pay an sanfl wage. Therefore a club saving overall ?

He is an employee of the Power and now has a contract with them. He doesn't have a contract with the Magpies anymore and therefore isn't included in the Magpies cap. In 2013 rookies will get paid $49k plus minimum match payments if they play an AFL game, which is approx $2.8k/game. I doubt anyone at the Magpies will get $49k out of a salary cap of approx $360k.

To me, if you were to take the written pre draft descriptions of Ben Jacobs then Hoskin is very similar, but actually does perform those abilities. He is a big long direct kick, he does hit targets, he does generate play from the back half, he is courageous in that he's happy to cop a hit and back into a pack, he plays tall, he has great hands in close. His downside is that he lacks pace and is prone to over thinking things and getting caught, lacks x factor and is a bit meat and potatoes. He plays similar to how we played Pfeiffer this year.

Can he shut down small forwards? Could be straight into the first 22 if he can. Surjan is gone, Jonas is better suited to mid-sized players and I'd like to think we wouldn't have drafted him if he wasn't better than Logan.

Hes played almost solely as a two way back flanker. His defensive skills are good. Hes certainly not as quick as Surjan though.

Hoskin retires from SANFL footy and joins Willaston.
395736992_730765175761876_3044052821093782203_n.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back