Opinion Josh Toy vs DarwinRoo

Remove this Banner Ad

There has been speculation over how high Josh Toy's heart rate can go and it's been said that it can't go above 100 beats per minute.

Now I was at the gym the other day and I jumped on a treadmill to do a bit of walking to warm up the legs before breaking into a run. Now I was only walking at 5 km/h and the incline was at 2%. Now after about 2 minutes and 30 seconds I measured my heart rate.

It was at 100 bpm.

Now I think I am reasonably fit, maybe a bit on the heavy side for my height but I wasn't really breaking into a sweat or short of breath in those 2 minutes that I had walked for.

Now if Josh Toy has made it to the AFL then I can only assume that he has done a fair bit of running in his junior footy at training or on game day.

I find it extremely hard to believe that his heart can't get past 100 bpm despite being in a sport where numerous times his heart would have elevated past that and for long periods of time.

I'm prepared to call it.

MythBusted.gif

If his heart could only get to 100 bpm it would compensate by getting more efficient, (bigger, wider valves) still not as good as everyone else but not as bad as people think.

What's your resting heart rate DR?

Agree to an extent with envelopes.

Some people have a very low (sometimes pathologically low) RHR (ie 40). Therefore if they elevate to 110-120, they are hammering. Sometimes people get other limiting symptoms that have to be adapted to (ie nausea, light head, muscular exhaustion sensations) that limit how high they can work as they improve their fitness. How old is Toy? He may have a bit of work to do to improve his tolerances etc, as well as having a sluggish heart rate.

Where is the source that says his heart rate can't go above 100?

Surely that number is a mistake. Any run would get a person over 100 easily.

I don't know what my resting heart rate is gustev.

When they have spoken about Toy's heart rate they aren't talking about him as a Superman but as a possible liability and a player who won't reach his potential because he can't build a tank because the best way to get fitter is to work your HR in a specific zone which for a person Toys age is quite high.

At times during my cardio workouts my HR has gotten to between 160-170 and even for a 33yo I don't feel as though I am about to keel over and die.

I think Toy will be fine if we were to pick him up.

Last summer, I was competing in a sports event alongside a former NBL and briefly NBA player who was wearing a heart monitor and he peaked at 229. Then again, he's probably twice the size of Josh Toy.

OK, without getting too technical here, there are a few things at play. One is the resting heart rate-the lower the better. This is beacuse it means it is more efficient at rest, stronger and larger meaning more blood is able to be pumped around the body per beat. The second is max heart rate and how long an elevated heart rate can be maintained. In elite athletes the longer an elevated heart rate can be maintined the better-again the lower heart rate means that the heart is larger and stronger and when at its max allows for the athlete to perform better for longer. Thirdly the ability of the heart to recover from the max effort back to a resting (or lower) state and then elevate again to max to go again. If Toy does have issues with getting his heart to elevate the simple facts are he wouldn't be able to produce the same effort as other elite athletes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would say Josh is better at football and you're better at being a shit poster.

Which Primary School kid did you get help from to come up with that come back.

Last summer, I was competing in a sports event alongside a former NBL and briefly NBA player who was wearing a heart monitor and he peaked at 229.

Especially weird when you consider that in polo it's the horse that does all the running around.

As for the topic under discussion, I have no idea. I'm just glad that the thread title reads "Josh" and not "Sex".

Especially weird when you consider that in polo it's the horse that does all the running around.

As for the topic under discussion, I have no idea. I'm just glad that the thread title reads "Josh" and not "Sex".

I think snraz meant to say he was competing on top of a former NBL player

Remove this Banner Ad

Back