Injury Josh Cowan - Further Achilles surgery - Career over?

Will Josh Cowan Be Delisted/Traded or retained?

• Yes

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • No will get another year at Geelong

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • No will never play AFL again

Votes: 14 58.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I rate Josh Cowan very highly. He has an abundance of courage and is a very aggressive extractor of the ball - something we've needed for quite some time. Saw him a couple of weeks ago against Sandringham and my call would be that, by the end of next year, he'll be regarded as one of Geelong's (AFL) best players.

The reason they've stuck by him through so few games and so much injury is that they rate him up there alongside Menzel and Vardy. I just hope we all get to see the best of him, along with the other two. Surely they've all lost enough of their careers to injury by now and are due for a change of luck. Can't wait to see the game on Saturday - really pleased to see Horlin-Smith back in and will be so bittersweet to see Stokesy and Kel in their last games, but full respect and credit to the club for facilitating the supporters and those great players to say their thanks and goodbyes to each other.

Yes...I hope he really puts in a good performance. He's obviously got the talent....even his very short stint this year saw plenty of involvement and the club clearly believes in him....so GO YOU GOOD THING!!

Clear the Mc want me to do damage to myself….

With Menz, Vardy and Cowan ou there…

im gonna be holding my breath so much im gonna be fainting all over the place…. :D

Go Catters

I kinda hope it's not the case but is it a possibility that this is a farewell game for Cowan too?

I kinda hope it's not the case but is it a possibility that this is a farewell game for Cowan too?

Its possible (and a thought that hadn't entered my head until now!). OUCH.

Unless he goes down again I think he will stay on list (main or rookie). I haven't done the maths but the list of players going off list is growing.

If Corey Enright decides to retire at the top, my bet says Cowan will be main list again.

Interesting thought, could be true, can't keep him on the list if he keeps popping hammy's

That's why I think most agree that he should go onto rookie list. Will be interesting to see how he goes, and what's our plans for him going forward

I still know absolutely nothing about this bloke. Never seen him at VFL level, and my only memory of him at AFL level is that his tackling intent and pressure I liked.

I have a mate who did a scouting report on him for another club in one of his fleeting VFL appearances, and he was a huge fan. Absolutely convinced that if he gets his body right he'll be a very good AFL player. I don't think his body will ever be 100%, but I just hope he gets through this game, then we find a spot for him on the rookie list.

Last edited:
Can anyone explain to me the bizarre logic that seems to be quite prevalent among some supporters that the club would maintain for years on its list a player they quite obviously rate so highly, and then delist him when it looks that finally he has gotten his body right?

It defies any logic to think that Geelong would be looking to cut him loose.

Can anyone explain to me the bizarre logic that seems to be quite prevalent among some supporters that the club would maintain for years on its list a player they quite obviously rate so highly, and then delist him when it looks that finally he has gotten his body right?

How does a qrt of AFL football and a handful of VFL games prove that his body is right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's got his body right? News to me.

Its possible (and a thought that hadn't entered my head until now!). OUCH.

Unless he goes down again I think he will stay on list (main or rookie). I haven't done the maths but the list of players going off list is growing.

If Corey Enright decides to retire at the top, my bet says Cowan will be main list again.

Doubt it. With so many retiring and an abundance of places to fill on the list already (in what is considered a weak draft pool), there is no need to let him go ... or even consider it.

If they were to do this then the end of next year will be the year.

#CowanWatch

I predict that if he plays a full game without injury, Josh will get 15-20 touches, 3-5 marks, 5-7 tackles & 1-2 goals!

Just hope he kicks 1 goal as the whole team including Menzel & Vardy will hopefully all run to him to celebrate :)

You giving yourself a really big window.

I predict he'll get exactly 14 disposals 2 marks 4 contested possessions 3 tackles in 62% gametime.

While I think it'd be great to have a player of Cowan's quality on the rookie list. I just can't see them doubt that. It's not their style you'd think he would already have been put on there if that's the case.
We should have list space anyway as it is. Let's hope he gets through the game and can have a good pre season.

He's been selected. Did you miss that?

So he may get through one game (hopefully). In 5 years he's unfortunately never shown any sign of being able to withstand the rigors of AFL. Just because he's been able to get up for this week doesn't confirm that "he's got his body right".

So he may get through one game (hopefully). In 5 years he's unfortunately never shown any sign of being able to withstand the rigors of AFL. Just because he's been able to get up for this week doesn't confirm that "he's got his body right".
So what more proof do you want than that they've selected him. I can tell you he took some hard hits the last couple of weeks in the VFL. I think they may have played him too soon earlier this season - borne out by the fact that he was gone before quarter time - but that doesn't mean he's on the brink of collapse now. Give the medical staff some credit to learn from their previous wrong calls. I can't see that anyone would want him played in such an emotive game with the thought that he's not 100% right to be there. And from there he can go and have a rigorous pre-season and start afresh.

So what more proof do you want than that they've selected him. I can tell you he took some hard hits the last couple of weeks in the VFL. I think they may have played him too soon earlier this season - borne out by the fact that he was gone before quarter time - but that doesn't mean he's on the brink of collapse now. Give the medical staff some credit to learn from their previous wrong calls. I can't see that anyone would want him played in such an emotive game with the thought that he's not 100% right to be there. And from there he can go and have a rigorous pre-season and start afresh.
You have to remember there are a few here who can't see past their proboscises when it comes to player retention and the broader reasons as to why a club might see it in their interests to persevere. The very same ones who would have discarded Menz and Vards and are gunning for Clark and Cowan.

How does a qrt of AFL football and a handful of VFL games prove that his body is right?
I do see your point, but he has been selected off the back of some strong VFL form.

I don't think he's been picked either as some sort of farewell game, or as some sort of a nebulous "test". The former just doesn't make sense - if he's not physically up to playing AFL, then don't pick him - and the latter is unprofessional in an era where we know it takes a few dozen games to at least find your feet.

Surely there are two motivations to picking him:
  • Solid VFL form warrants a game. Tick.
  • Given how hard it is to get through constant rehab, it'd be good for his morale to not have to go through yet another preseason before getting anywhere near being able to play his first full AFL game since 2011.
For some perspective - I used to wonder why the club persisted with this Motlop bloke who hadn't really shown anything special apart from especially dodgy shoulders.

I do see your point, but he has been selected off the back of some strong VFL form.

I don't think he's been picked either as some sort of farewell game, or as some sort of a nebulous "test". The former just doesn't make sense - if he's not physically up to playing AFL, then don't pick him - and the latter is unprofessional in an era where we know it takes a few dozen games to at least find your feet.

Surely there are two motivations to picking him:
  • Solid VFL form warrants a game. Tick.
  • Given how hard it is to get through constant rehab, it'd be good for his morale to not have to go through yet another preseason before getting anywhere near being able to play his first full AFL game since 2011.
For some perspective - I used to wonder why the club persisted with this Motlop bloke who hadn't really shown anything special apart from especially dodgy shoulders.

I'd have dodgy shoulders too if I was built like a chicken wing and a 100kg tomahawk came down on them :D

Back