Player Watch Joe Richards

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok I must be sick or something but I’m going to say I was wrong for the second time today on bf. I thought Joe was totally useless last season and a wasted pick. He only got picked because of Ben Reid, well Joe made a very good impression in his first game today, showed all the things he was lacking last year have been improved on, good for him. He definitely should thank Shultz for having that brain fade and gifting him a game. Let’s hope it’s the start of a good career.

Ok I must be sick or something but I’m going to say I was wrong for the second time today on bf. I thought Joe was totally useless last season and a wasted pick. He only got picked because of Ben Reid, well Joe made a very good impression in his first game today, showed all the things he was lacking last year have been improved on, good for him. He definitely should thank Shultz for having that brain fade and gifting him a game. Let’s hope it’s the start of a good career.
Not the only one mate. Many including me didn’t see him staying on the list.

Long way to go, but he looked at home instantly which is what you want.

One of the most surprisingly great debuts of all time I reckon.

He's quick & really clean by hand & foot, loved his game!

With Jamie & Beau unavailable, it's great to know we have a guy like this to play a role & hopefully he can build on today and play a big part of our season.

I get some Kyle Martin vibes with Joe. Let's hope Joe can stick it out in the AFL. Kyle had heaps of talent but the life of an AFL footballer was not for him.
Martin didn’t want it. Decided a tradies salary and playing with his mates took preference over a rookie afl salary and doing the hard yards..

Zero evidence that Richards is in the same boat unless you are living inside his head.

Martin didn’t want it. Decided a tradies salary and playing with his mates took preference over a rookie afl salary and doing the hard yards..

Zero evidence that Richards is in the same boat unless you are living inside his head.
I’d say yesterday was strong evidence against him being anything like Kyle, looked as engaged as anyone and pressure was through the roof. This guy can play and could end up best 22. There’s more opportunities for Joe looking in my crystal ball

I’d say yesterday was strong evidence against him being anything like Kyle, looked as engaged as anyone and pressure was through the roof. This guy can play and could end up best 22. There’s more opportunities for Joe looking in my crystal ball
Yes and he clearly did the hard yards in the off-season to get stronger, as hinted by Fly.

Yes and he clearly did the hard yards in the off-season to get stronger, as hinted by Fly.
Fly does love seeing guys like Joe getting opportunity and making the most of it. We have a few of these stories, it was pretty special the way the team got around after that goal he kicked, Sullivan the week before.

Who knows maybe even Kyle Martin could have been motivated under Fly.

From my Dec 2022 training notes / post… without trying to put the mozz on him for future games:

“Joe Richards - Looks nice and clean, zippy, and reliable. Doesn’t do much wrong and I just hope that he has more development in him, and hasn’t flatlined yet. Just so that he can genuinely stake a claim for a spot in the team, and have a career, instead of peaking already and watching other kids progress. I guarantee he will provide moments of magic in the VFL though, and will replicate them if given the chance in the seniors, as he just has that thing where opposition players will underestimate him - along with spectators - until he pulls off a great assist or goal, and you find yourself doing a double take, then look back to the field and he is humbly receiving high fives from teammates, who have big smiles on their faces. Bookmark this…”

To me Joe looks a player that will be better at the faster AFL and with our game plan than VFL. I've never been negative on Richards as he reminds me a touch of Tim Kelly in that he gets the ball on the move.
Great debut.
The challenge to him will be replicating similar performances as other clubs put more work into him and nailing a spot with Hill, Schulz, Elliott, McCreery and probably Harrison/Sullivan ahead of him. Certainly justified his spot on the list

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While many would have had him on the delist pile before this game.. but I reckon we've found a player here.
Feels like he is definitely one that plays better at the higher level than the lower one (though he had been going well at vfl level)

One of the most surprisingly great debuts of all time I reckon.

He's quick & really clean by hand & foot, loved his game!

With Jamie & Beau unavailable, it's great to know we have a guy like this to play a role & hopefully he can build on today and play a big part of our season.
👍

Thought that as well, he looked a nice player yesterday. Settled in nicely as the game moved on.

I doubt many on here can honestly say they entered this season with much expectation of Richards after his debut season. I know I didn't.

The 6 goals he kicked earlier in the year did get our attention though if only because it seemed in stark contrast to his general performance in year 1. At the time I know I commented that perhaps he had his 2nd year blues in his first season.

It was a throwaway line but now I'm really starting to wonder.

Regardless, even if you were a fan of Richards from the beginning I doubt you saw THAT debut coming.

Clean, composed, creative is the first 3 things that come to mind, the 6 tackles were a welcomed bonus and you could've been mistaken for thinking it was game number 50 not game number 1.

It's only 1 game and far harder opposition awaits but he's earned himself another game next week that's for sure and a contract extension mightn't be far away either if he keeps showing such potential.

I doubt many on here can honestly say they entered this season with much expectation of Richards after his debut season. I know I didn't.

The 6 goals he kicked earlier in the year did get our attention though if only because it seemed in stark contrast to his general performance in year 1. At the time I know I commented that perhaps he had his 2nd year blues in his first season.

It was a throwaway line but now I'm really starting to wonder.

Regardless, even if you were a fan of Richards from the beginning I doubt you saw THAT debut coming.

Clean, composed, creative is the first 3 things that come to mind, the 6 tackles were a welcomed bonus and you could've been mistaken for thinking it was game number 50 not game number 1.

It's only 1 game and far harder opposition awaits but he's earned himself another game next week that's for sure and a contract extension mightn't be far away either if he keeps showing such potential.
Is he a high pressure player in the 2’s?

Not sure what his PA average is in the VFL but he averages just over 2 tackles a game so 6 yesterday was a great result.

Looking at his VFL stats and I had forgotten that he didn't play between rounds 5 to 13 so in fairness his development was hindered last season.

Didn't we play him across half back at times also?

Just based on skillset, just my opinion.

Not sure what his PA average is in the VFL but he averages just over 2 tackles a game so 6 yesterday was a great result.

Looking at his VFL stats and I had forgotten that he didn't play between rounds 5 to 13 so in fairness his development was hindered last season.

Didn't we play him across half back at times also?
They originally trained him at half back last season, but it didn't last, and they put him back forward; clearly seeing that his natural position.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back