Senior Jimmy Webster

Remove this Banner Ad

Jimmy set to miss against the Dees.

Grab from Richos weekly presser...
ST KILDA will be without star defender Jimmy Webster for Sunday afternoon's clash with Melbourne but captain Jarryn Geary looks set to return.

Fellow backman Bailey Rice is also likely to face the Demons at the MCG after being concussed in the win over Gold Coast before the Saints' bye.
Webster, who turned 25 on Thursday, is out with a groin injury while Geary had been dealing with a left calf strain.
"Jimmy won't play, which is disappointing. He's probably been our best player, or arguably our best player, for the year, so that’s disappointing," coach Alan Richardson said.
"Geary is right in the mix. He'll need to train well. It's a pretty meaningful session today given that we don't play until Sunday.
"Ricey's had a couple of injuries but he's had two weeks since the concussion. He'll need to train well today. He trained pretty positively on Tuesday so we'd expect him to be right."
Webster ran laps at training on Thursday at RSEA Park.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-06-28/saints-best-player-webster-ruled-out-against-dees

Round 16 Stats v Port Adelaide

Kicks: 11
Handballs: 9
Disposals: 20
Contested Possessions: 6
Uncontested Possessions: 13
Disposal Efficiency: 80.0
Intercept Possessions: 7
Marks: 7
Rebound 50: 4
Free for: 1
Free against: 0
Tackles: 3
1%'ers: 2
Inside 50's: 1
Score Involvements: 2
AFL Fantasy: 85
Supercoach: 88

Comments:
Glad to get Jimmy back out on the park, looked a bit rusty early first few disposals resulting in direct turnovers. But once he got into the game was solid, hopefully continues to build back to his pre-injury form over the next few weeks.

Last edited:
Round 17 Stats v Carlton

Kicks: 10
Handballs: 8
Disposals: 18
Contested Possessions: 4
Uncontested Possessions: 13
Disposal Efficiency: 78.0
Intercept Possessions: 3
Marks: 4
Rebound 50: 2
Free for: 0
Free against: 0
Tackles: 2
1%'ers: 3
Score Involvements: 9
AFL Fantasy: 66
Supercoach: 79

Comments:
Jimmy started off strongly in everything early whenever Carlton went forward. Then did what he had to do considering the lack of ball down in defense after qtr time still had 9 score involvements from 18 disposals which is impressive. Unfortunately looks to have re-injured his groin... Richo's presser said same groin but that Jimmy said it felt different to last time, see how he pulls up and how the week goes. Watch this space.

Webster: Larrikinism, laughter and loyalty

It was a clear directive but quietly muttered under his breath.

Entering the studio, his shoulders slightly hunched and his scruffy hair hurriedly pushed to one side, Jimmy Webster quipped, “Just don’t make me look stupid”.

The emerging St Kilda star doesn’t immediately strike you as the typical AFL footballer.

Sporting a club hoody and a rough-looking beard, he takes his seat on the stool beside me and reiterates his earlier instruction: “You’re not gonna make me look stupid, are ya?”

There’s a genuineness to him that’s often missed in the hyper-masculine, hyper-competitive world that is the AFL, and it’s arguably the country boy from the Tasmanian highlands’ biggest strength.

I’d been on Jimmy’s back for about a month, but desperate to cling onto the low media profile he’s managed to curate, he’d avoided an interview until now.

For more: http://www.saints.com.au/news/2018-07-25/webster-larrikinism-laughter-and-loyalty

Confirmation that Jimmy will be out again this weekend.. As good as he has been this year, might be worth putting him on ice for the year get him right to ensure he is good to go for pre-season. Just not worth the risk.

Groin injury keeps gun Saint out yet again
A RIGHT groin injury will again keep gun St Kilda backman Jimmy Webster out of its line-up to face Greater Western Sydney on Saturday but draftee Nick Coffield is set to return.
Fellow defender Nathan Brown has recovered from a left hamstring strain, although whether he's selected is another matter.
Logan Austin will miss again with a groin concern.
Richardson spoke to reporters at RSEA Park on Thursday and confirmed Webster, whose chances of winning the best and fairest have dipped after his groin flared up, would not face the Giants.
"Jimmy won't play, which is disappointing, which will give Coffield an opportunity. He's very likely to come back in," Richardson said.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-07-26/groin-injury-keeps-gun-saint-webster-out-yet-again

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They were hopeful of only the one week which has now extended to 2. Anyone's guess now really. Hopefully next week, otherwise I'd be putting him on ice for the rest of the season. If its a Supercoach/DT question, I'd be looking at trading.

Everything seems to have clicked for the tough defender this year, except on the injury front. A right groin on two different occasions has kept him out for three games so far, while he missed another couple with a hip flexor issue. When he's played, the left-footer has been fantastic. Webster doesn't shirk a contest, as he showed when he went back with the flight against Melbourne in round seven, while his elite kicking skills have been pivotal. Had the 25-year-old not been sidelined, he might have won the Saints' best and fairest.

Webster's best game in 2018
R8 v Fremantle. With Jake Carlisle concussed in the second quarter, Webster stood up and collected 31 disposals and eight rebound-50s.

Go Saints

Jimmy Webster has fully recovered from the groin soreness that has kept him sidelined for the last fortnight, and the classy half-back is raring to go again.

Webster has been one of the Saints’ shining lights in Season 2018, and his inclusion would add a welcome dose of elite ball use coming out of the back half.

Go Saints

Round 20 Stats v Western Bulldogs

Kicks: 16
Handballs: 7
Disposals: 23
Contested Possessions: 4
Uncontested Possessions: 16
Disposal Efficiency: 74.0
Intercept Possessions: 3
Marks: 5
Rebound 50: 4
Free for: 0
Free against: 1
Tackles: 1
1%'ers: 6
Score Involvements: 6
AFL Fantasy: 78
Supercoach: 70

Comments:
After missing a couple of games with a groin injury it was good to get Jimmy back in the side to add good ball user into the back half. Didn't get to watch much of the game or know who he was playing on but stats wise looked like a pretty typical solid Jimmy game without being outstanding.

Jimmy had 23 disposals against the Bulldogs but only 1 tackle which was surprising. I wonder if he was fully fit .

Go Saints
Jimmy only averages 2 tackles per game with plenty of games with 1 or 2 tackles highest for the season is 3 which may surprise a few. His 1%er stats though were one of his highest for the season though. He may not be 100% but I don't think they would risk him if he wasn't close to it.

Jimmy only averages 2 tackles per game with plenty of games with 1 or 2 tackles highest for the season is 3 which may surprise a few. His 1%er stats though were one of his highest for the season though. He may not be 100% but I don't think they would risk him if he wasn't close to it.

Gee I thought he usually got a lot of tackles . Obviously what I call a tackle and what is actually a tackle is different lol.

Go Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Back