jets

Remove this Banner Ad

dissapointing start to the season

too early to throw it away and play the kids?

why the slow start?

Can anyone tell me how the Jets boys went at the Vic Metro trial game today???.. I believe Jack Fitzpatrick, Jesse Fortune, Trent Mackenzie. Dylan Conway, Johnny Rayner, Jack Gray, Shaun Tighe, Josh Huxtuble were representing the Jets. did they all play????

You've gotta be kidding surely? Three weeks in, they are 1-2. It's hardly all over just yet.

agreed, but two massive losses

can't be happy with their start

suppose the league has been all over the place...massive blowout's left, right and centre

where's the improvement to come from?

hahaha jets, Maybe if they had a decent squad thats not filled with reputations and last names, they might be competetive. Half the coaching staff are w***ers along with most of its players who are full of themselves and its time Shane sexton went, his been there too long.

hahaha jets, Maybe if they had a decent squad thats not filled with reputations and last names, they might be competetive. Half the coaching staff are w***ers along with most of its players who are full of themselves and its time Shane sexton went, his been there too long.

Have you been cut or know someone who has been dropped by the jets in recent times?

Have you been cut or know someone who has been dropped by the jets in recent times?

Both. They have favourites down there. They don't treat everyone the same and theres kids who deserve to be down there, but aren't & theres others who are there , but shouldn't be there.

Why dont you take your SOUR GRAPES somewhere else.. its ok to be bitter at the club... but dont attack the players!!!

Both. They have favourites down there. They don't treat everyone the same and theres kids who deserve to be down there, but aren't & theres others who are there , but shouldn't be there.

Im just saying that some players think there better than they actually are & they have favourites down there.

Actually suprisingly agree with this guy.

It's a pretty common criticism of most TAC Cup clubs the whole selection process and the way certain players are favoured. It's not something thats exclusive to the Jets.

I've got no doubt they (the clubs) make mistakes. There were two guys drafted last year who werent listed by their TAC Cup clubs at the start of the season - Mitch Brown and Nathan O'Keefe - so that's a fair indication that there are flaws in the process. And obviously the Cannons cut Bryce Carroll who was thrown a lifeline by the Jets and ended up being picked in the rookie draft.

Ideally that stuff wouldn't happen - how do draftable players fall through the cracks and not make a TAC Cup list of 50 players?

However, clubs do have flexible lists and can add and drop players at any time so people who miss out just have to go back and play as best they can at local level.

It's a pretty common criticism of most TAC Cup clubs the whole selection process and the way certain players are favoured. It's not something thats exclusive to the Jets.

I've got no doubt they (the clubs) make mistakes. There were two guys drafted last year who werent listed by their TAC Cup clubs at the start of the season - Mitch Brown and Nathan O'Keefe - so that's a fair indication that there are flaws in the process. And obviously the Cannons cut Bryce Carroll who was thrown a lifeline by the Jets and ended up being picked in the rookie draft.

Ideally that stuff wouldn't happen - how do draftable players fall through the cracks and not make a TAC Cup list of 50 players?

However, clubs do have flexible lists and can add and drop players at any time so people who miss out just have to go back and play as best they can at local level.

couldn't agree more with that

footy is a form game and with limited practise game oppurtunities everyone cannot be expected to put their best foot forward

all coaches have players they prefer in any form of footy, but they still have to be a decent player and bring a certain aspect to their team

despite talent and hard work it also requires an element of luck to make a TAC list for fringe players

furthermore, if someone is getting 50 possies a game at local level they can't be ignored for long

Great post FM on what actually happens. The system will always be subject to question when it relies on peoples opinions on players. Whilst I believe the Jets got it horribly wrong with their assessment on some players by either picking them or not picking them, I think they are smart enough to make correct/adjust their list with the flexibilty to move players in and out as the season progressses. History suggests that some players will be brought in whilst others who are on the list wont get a game.
The main point you raise is that its just not the Jets that dont always get it right as the same topic/criticism is aimed at other TAC clubs - you just have have to stand in the crowd and listen to people. Although some are speaking from an emotional perspective
You ask "how do draftable players fall through the cracks and not make a TAC Cup list of 50 players?" It is one of life's mysteries but as you pointed out with the cases of Brown , O"Keeffe and Carrol some good comes out in the face of adversity

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Almost all of the better players running around locally have been involved in squads or matches throughout their juniors.
Those players are still being monitored at the moment (escpecially with the jets recent form!). Scouts went to every WRFL game last week.

If someone pops up and shows potential to improve the list or be drafted, they are added mid-season.
We've seen it in the last couple of years with Hefferan, Shylo Smith, Christou etc.
Childish to rubbish Sexton and the players and hint that there are favourites.
I wouldn't mind hearing some particular names from the posters who made that suggestion.

The results may suggest otherwise, but i don't think you could have a better team of players representing this region at the moment.
That said i'd be interested to hear arguments for and against certain players...
I still reckon Chris Molivas is desperately unlucky not to have made a training squad at some stage.
He was involved in some practice matches but i suppose didn't tick the boxes, but you can't say he didn't get a look in.

Chris Molivas is desperately unlucky not to have made a training squad at some stage.

great post bachar.... i agree with u on molivas and i will be doing everything in my power to make sure this kid gets noticed or listed somewhere next year. i have been watching him for over 12 m onths now and he keeps getting better.
to all u boys who dont agree or dont make the list it6 is not the be all and end all...i was there years ago and went thru as a 12 yo till 15 and got dropped because of my last n ame. but if u have the right attitude and be smart then it could turn into a great thing not making the list.
i have a family member that was a part time recruiter for 3 afl clubs and i will tell u all that what is important as a 16, 17 yo is that u play the best standard of footy possible and against match hardened blokes. yes all senior footy. if u r playin senior footy ypoung and doin well then u automatically get rated above lots of others and all good young kids if they are really keen then go and do a pre season in a vfl club and try to make their list. if u play vfl at 17 even in 2's it is fact that recruiters will then push for u to be put on vsfl list or be recruited if good enough. that is why their are so many kids gettingt recruited from country vsfl sides like falcons and murray and the likes. most of them kids were playing senior footyat 15, 16 yo and then step up to vfl ressies at 17 so when they come to play kids even at state level they have harder at5titude at ball and better confidance.

so dont let it get u down their will always be kids thast u think are no good that are on the list of the jets but remember they call it a development squad. but use ur head boys and stop thinking that if u dont make it u wont get drafted cos if that what u think u dont deserve to be on any ones list, use ya heads and play the best standard of footy possible.
sorry bout the long post boys

Time Shane Sexton went. Scouts go to just about every WRFL game, but what about coming to the RDFL and BFL games more often. Aren't those leagues good enough. Heard Steve Kretiulk gave them the mother of all sprays after there 70 odd point loss to Calder. Any thruth to it? Gee , Theres some kids lucky not be down there.

Time Shane Sexton went. Scouts go to just about every WRFL game, but what about coming to the RDFL and BFL games more often. Aren't those leagues good enough. Heard Steve Kretiulk gave them the mother of all sprays after there 70 odd point loss to Calder. Any thruth to it? Gee , Theres some kids lucky not be down there.

you keep trashing shane sexton without offering a reason?

why should shane sexton go?

the jets were a very average and unproffesional outfit before he got there

your obviously filthy your not down there but instead of slagging other players off, might be time to concentrate on your own game and ask yourself why your still not down there

I would like to apologise for my posts on the jets thread. I wish the club all the very best this season. I was just really dissapointed that i didn't make it down there. I apologise

I would like to apologise for my posts on the jets thread. I wish the club all the very best this season. I was just really dissapointed that i didn't make it down there. I apologise

That's fair enough

Can some tell me who number 31 is this year? Watched the highlights on youtube, looks pretty dangerous.
Shannon Ball, 3rd year forward. Buckets for hands, has been one of the better performers this year.

if u play vfl at 17 even in 2's it is fact that recruiters will then push for u to be put on vsfl list
Can't be a fact, because you can't be listed by a VFL club until you are 18!

You wrote a lot of good stuff though, if you dont make Jets then go play local footy, then try yourself in a VFL preseason as an 18 yr old. Players in the Western region are particularly lucky because you've got Williamstown and Werribee in the VFL and Werribee particularly are only part aligned so plenty more opportunities.

Sincere?

Can't be a fact, because you can't be listed by a VFL club until you are 18!

You wrote a lot of good stuff though, if you dont make Jets then go play local footy, then try yourself in a VFL preseason as an 18 yr old. Players in the Western region are particularly lucky because you've got Williamstown and Werribee in the VFL and Werribee particularly are only part aligned so plenty more opportunities.

u can actually be included as a top up player younger than 18, 17 and 2 months. and u can do pre seasons there without being 18. i did one pre season at port melb at 16 (darren crocker) and then 2 with werribee (DONALD MACDONALD and alister clarkeson) and the one with clarko actually got me a 3 month stin t with the bulldogs so it certainly can open doors for u. they do allow it all u have to do is ask them and sometimes pay ur own way (at camps or extra trainin g at gyms and stuff) most vfl clubs are actually really keen on it as u may be that something they can work on. be prepared tho because if u not up to a half good standard then they may ask u to go. it is a great experiance for kids and also it gives them another leg up if thehydont make vsfl.

u can actually be included as a top up player younger than 18, 17 and 2 months. and u can do pre seasons there without being 18. i did one pre season at port melb at 16 (darren crocker) and then 2 with werribee (DONALD MACDONALD and alister clarkeson)
You're talking years ago though. Crocker coached Port in what 1999, McDonald was at Werribee from 1993-1999 and Clarkson was there in 2000. Well before the VFL was in its current structure (ie. filled with AFL listed players).

I don't think you're right but what does it matter. We both have the same message - if you miss out on playing TAC Cup footy, play the best you can at local and then ring or email a VFL club and see if they'll have you do a preseason. And who knows, some good stories come out of players being drafted out of the VFL at 19 or 20 yrs of age.

yeah true that mate. i think that most kids that dont get picked or struggle to get picked should not be blaming the jets as suc h they and clubs should reallyh have a look at junior coaches....there are alotg of really bad things being done and alot of kids getting ignored at an u/16 and 18 level. these parentg coaches should really try hard to not to think they are afl coaches and really work hard on the development of these kids ALL KIDS, way to many getting ignored and blammed for bad performances but with no solution or constructgive way for them to improve.... just my opinion.
u sound like u have a good head on ya shoulders mate, good luck with ur footy this year. PM me with ya name and club i will keep an eye out for u, maybe i could get ya playin at my club one day...lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back