Delisted Jayden Schofield (#955)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Schofield returns home

I had high hopes for this kid, thought he really showed a bit last season, sad to see him leave and wish him all the best.

Agree. I think there is more to this than homesickness. Maybe some personal issues in his life but the only person who knows is Jayden Schofield.

If it is homesickness the club have been poor in not identifying before the trade period which could have given us a better pick or position in the national draft rather than force us into the pre season draft looking for a reject.

Of course if its something else then I am glad the club have done right by the kid. Wont help when he is running around in a purple or eagles jumper though !

This is awful news, I loved the look of young schoey and thought he was going to be a feature in our best 22 for years to come, it has to me more than homesickness as others have said we would have traded him. I am not going to abuse the kid because none of us know anything about the situation but if it is homesickness its pretty weak.

Such a shame, kid had potential and horrible timing. You would think he would've had currency in trading with the WA teams.

As others have said, there must be some reason and don't think it's the place to judge.

If as a player you are not 100% committed to the club, then ship off.

Re: Jayden Schofield Delisted

Agree. I think there is more to this than homesickness. Maybe some personal issues in his life but the only person who knows is Jayden Schofield.

And the club and the AFL and ALFPA and his family and maybe some of his friends....

Definitely more than homesickness, you don't delist a player cos he's homesick. Hard to escape the conclusion it was a fairly serious situation.

But it's not fair to speculate and jump to conclusions on no evidence.

There are some rather silly posts in this thread.

Kid loved a punt, that's all I know. Doubt he'd move back home for that if he'd got himself in trouble though.

And the club and the AFL and ALFPA and his family and maybe some of his friends....

Definitely more than homesickness, you don't delist a player cos he's homesick. Hard to escape the conclusion it was a fairly serious situation.

But it's not fair to speculate and jump to conclusions on no evidence.

There are some rather silly posts in this thread.

I agree with this, if it was homesickness we would just keep him on the list for another year and let him try to settle in and if not atleast raise his stakes a bit for a trade.

Also no one knows anything so we cant really bag him.

Shame to lose such a promising kid (who actually supported the Dogs growing up).

Has to be more than homesickness given that the club, the AFL etc, are "fully supportive" of his move back home.

I could be wrong, but it sounds like he won't be playing footy, at least at AFL level, for quite a while.

We better not see him picked up by Freo or West Coast in the future. This caps off a very bad run with young guys leaving. Just a truck load of bad luck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bugger.
But I hope life works out for the young fella and he sorts out any issues he may have :)

I'm expecting that the club will go with Mark Austin. He trained with the club at the end of the year so he may be a half-decent back up defender.
hopefully we don't go for austin, players who get cut from clubs without much depth in their position surely aren't the best players to pick up. There were a few blokes who were expected to go top 40 in the draft like boseley, frost and nelson so we could go for one of them.

hopefully we don't go for austin, players who get cut from clubs without much depth in their position surely aren't the best players to pick up. There were a few blokes who were expected to go top 40 in the draft like boseley, frost and nelson so we could go for one of them.
Isn't PSD just for guys that were delisted that year?

Shame to lose such a promising kid (who actually supported the Dogs growing up).

He was an Eagles supporter. I've seen a photo of him from a casual day at school and he was wearing a West Coast guernsey.

My mail is he was told by the club to get a bit bigger and work on his fitness, but he didn't want to.

agreed but then again it's a lot harder for people coming from W.A to get used to life in Vic, since we barely play in W.A

What is it about life in Victoria that would be so hard to get used to?! I've lived there and geez, it's not exactly the third world. I'd say Schofield's troubles are more than homesickness. Hundreds of youngsters in the AFL are away from home but only a few can't let go of the apron strings. Schofield doesn't strike me as one of them.

He's young a long way from his family in a big city with $ and time on his hands

Obviously the reasons he left are personal

He wont be the first young bloke to have something happen that brings him and the club to this stage and he probably wont be the last.

The club will rightfully review it's pre-draft interviewing and screening of him and our young player welfare area, to see if any improvements can be made in light of this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back