Roast Jason Dunstall

Remove this Banner Ad

Mark Howard has been doing games for Fox this year. He goes okay in a no frills kind of way. Probably my preferred Fox caller after Hudson.

Didn't he do us on Monday? There was a lot of silence in that. Commentated like it was a test match.

The problem with current commentators is that instead of just calling the game they give their own opinions on every single play.

Just call the damn game so I can shut my eyes and understand what's going on.

Bring back Dennis full time pls.
I’m going to disagree here, as would Drew Morphett
In an interview with Fairfax Media in 2015, ahead of the relaunch of The Winners Rebooted, Morphett said television commentary had changed through the years – and not necessarily for the better.

"I reckon we said less then. We identified the players and threw in a comment about 'getting on top, getting better the further game goes, good win there against the odds' – that sort of stuff," Morphett said.

"These days, and I am not meaning to denigrate the current callers, but they are doing radio calls for television. You don't have to be saying: 'He looks up, the kick's on its way'.

"That's not television commentary – you can see the kick is on its way. We were more into what you believe is classic television commentary, rather than just wall-to-wall words."
We can see what’s going on, it’s not radio anymore. The commentators aren’t adding anything by saying what’s going on, there is a need for opinion based stuff and analysis, not so much verbally stating what everyone can obviously see.

Jonathan Brown is probably my pick at Fox Footy. Little humour, level thinking, played in an era v Port with rivalry, knows what makes a team successful, a leader....and type of bloke I would have a beer with

I’m going to disagree here, as would Drew Morphett

We can see what’s going on, it’s not radio anymore. The commentators aren’t adding anything by saying what’s going on, there is a need for opinion based stuff and analysis, not so much verbally stating what everyone can obviously see.
The most important sentence from the Morphett quote is 'We said less then."
There are too many commentators, all trying to have their say. It's an appalling mess. 1 decent commentator can do the job. Two is plenty

I think Huddo is the clear best in the business now. Bruce used to be really good, especially in tandem with Dennis but he is well past his prime now and a borderline self parody at times.

This might be unpopular but the other commentator i rate is James Brayshaw.
Agree with you re Brayshaw... even though it's common knowledge that he supports the roos, there's no hint of bias in his calls.

Counter that to the tripe dished out by Dunstall and King the other night... I legit had to put the thing on mute.

A lot of that is cognitive skill though, speech, memory, wit etc. Surely 15 years of head trauma has a negative impact on all these things. I agree that some probably just weren’t born with the knack but it can’t be a coincidence that almost none of them were.

No, it's gifting sportspeople jobs with no real training or not designed for their skillset. It would be like an actor becoming a film critic. I have never read a review by Bruce Willis.

Many people from other contact sports make it as professional broadcasters alongside career broadcasters, but that balance is way too out of whack in footy.

Speed splits his time between rugby league and AFL on Fox.
He does A-League and most Mathilda's soccer internationals. Would expect more now that Simon Hill has left.

Didn't realize he does rugby league.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But by the time he's finished giving you that insight, the game is over and they've turned the lights off.
I am still laughing!😂

Hyperbole, but so true. He is still blabbering on while the ball has well & truly moved on to the next play & beyond. I find it immensely irritating!

I like Dunstall and really enjoy his commentary. I also see where he was coming from and think the 2 scenarios in the video are different. One was a clear duck, one was a smartly dropped shoulder. I hate the dropped shoulder stuff, but he was right that players need to be smarter to deal with the dropped shoulder, whereas the Rockliff thing was just a pure duck.
Rocky didnt duck at all. He was already bent 45 degree head over the ball to pick it up as the tackler came st him. If he stands up, he gets cleaned up, he chose to maintain the lowered position & move forward, and in so doing the tackler took him high. IMO it was just as incumbent upon Bontempelli to adjust his tackle on a player bent over picking the ball up, as it was Wines! BOTH leaned into the impending tackle. In fact Rocky looks to me to actually trying to evade it by going under.

Just on this. This isn't a new revelation in the game, as long as the game has existed there have been players dishing out crap. The main difference is that in yesteryear you'd want to be bloody tough to do it as the next contest someone is running through you or you're getting the mother of all ear massages.

They have umpired/reported out all the 'dog' acts which acted as a natural filter for this crap of sorts. Now players know there is no retaliation coming their way so its a free for all and is why see players of the McHenry/Gresham ilk all of sudden acting faux tough.
Exactly, a scrote like McHenry would not be pushing Gawn around after the play.

He does A-League and most Mathilda's soccer internationals. Would expect more now that Simon Hill has left.

Didn't realize he does rugby league.

I haven't really heard him much on the NRL coverage this year come to think of it. Now you mention he does A-League games that's probably why, as the two competitions are running concurrently for the first time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back