Toast Jarrod Witts

Remove this Banner Ad

That is a paradox. I'm sure I don't need to explain to you what "impossible" means, but ISIS being destroyed next month is possible, simply because it's not impossible. I don't see the point in arguing it any further.

So your entire argument is that hoping for something impossible is a contradiction?

And yes that was a bad example

Give Witts an extended run ala Cox role and may be zero difference, same as per Grundy.

For me the jury is still out and I would like to give Witts extended opportunities to see
Witts has had plenty of opportunity to play Cox's role. He's not even close to the threat that Cox is as a forward. Slower, less aerial ability, and not as good following up at ground level.

He is however, roughly the equal of Grundy as a first ruck, with each player having different strengths and weaknesses. As it stands, there's not enough room for all 3 and Cox has the forward role stitched up. Grundy had better hope he doesn't injure himself, because he'd have a tough time getting back in the side if Witts can translate his current VFL form to the seniors.

Witts has had plenty of opportunity to play Cox's role. He's not even close to the threat that Cox is as a forward. Slower, less aerial ability, and not as good following up at ground level.

He is however, roughly the equal of Grundy as a first ruck, with each player having different strengths and weaknesses. As it stands, there's not enough room for all 3 and Cox has the forward role stitched up. Grundy had better hope he doesn't injure himself, because he'd have a tough time getting back in the side if Witts can translate his current VFL form to the seniors.
Not sure about plenty opportunity but time will tell

Cox has more potential than Witts as the second ruck who can clunk marks and kick goals. Yes.

Grundy is ahead of Witts as the first ruck. Just, but hes ahead.

I dont think the club would WANT to trade him ....happy to keep him if hes prepared to play VFL. But will he want that? And rucks trade at a premium...

If player and club are prgamatic about it his future may be elsewhere.

They'd only be keen if he can snare us something really worthwhile. A good player or a pick in the top 15 or so.

At the start of the season I preferred Witts to Grundy as first ruck, but Jarrod has been a complete non-entity whenever he's been played as a forward - unlike Cox.

So your entire argument is that hoping for something impossible is a contradiction?

And yes that was a bad example
We're on to Alanis now; you were given some good advice but you just didn't take it.

Additionally Moore will be a very good player who will also be able to ruck

Is Witts contracted next year?

Thanks.

I like Witts but like a few on here not sure him and Grundy can work together.
I was holding out hope that they could work together, but the emergence of Cox as a legitimate forward target who can also act as a first ruck if need be just makes it a pipe dream. One of Witts and Grundy will be surplus to our needs, and given Witts is out of contract this year, I can't see all three on our list come 2017.

Thank you for the information MB. So basically most other clubs are screwed? They get the best kids from academy's, zones, bigger salary cap, bigger list and can still poach Victorian kids!
Hmmm wonder why they're a dominating force.
I wouldn't lose too much sleep over this if I were you. I expect the AFL will step in and cut back on their priveleges, just like they did with Brisbane a decade or so ago. Of course, this time they'll probably wait until their latest favourite north-eastern state club has racked up 5 or 6 flags, but never mind!!

IMHO the biggest challenge posed by GWS is ...

(1) They're not doing well off-field. Last time I looked they had a membership of around 9000 (and I'm struggling to believe how it could even be that high), they don't even get 10,000 spectators to games. League/WSW are thrashing GWS in the quest to win the hearts and minds of Western Sydney. And that leads to ...

(2) The AFL is way behind getting any return on their investment. And that leads to ...

(3) The AFL being desperate about getting people to follow GWS. And that leads to ...

(4) The AFL making GWS popular the best way they know how - by making them winners. Winning games of footy and winning premierships. And that leads to ....

(5) The AFL are extremely unlikely to lift any GWS concessions until after they've won a premiership or two.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

(1) They're not doing well off-field. Last time I looked they had a membership of around 9000 (and I'm struggling to believe how it could even be that high), they don't even get 10,000 spectators to games. League/WSW are thrashing GWS in the quest to win the hearts and minds of Western Sydney. And that leads to ...

(2) The AFL is way behind getting any return on their investment. And that leads to ...

(3) The AFL being desperate about getting people to follow GWS. And that leads to ...

(4) The AFL making GWS popular the best way they know how - by making them winners. Winning games of footy and winning premierships. And that leads to ....

(5) The AFL are extremely unlikely to lift any GWS concessions until after they've won a premiership or two.

I'm not far off just going to the local footy.

If GWS dominate the comp then it's going to be pretty average.

Not wrong...........I agree with 76 the AFL will try everything to make this GWS experiment work.

It's sad because Fitzroy would still be alive if the AFL cared even one per cent as much as they do with Gold Coast & GWS.

We should trade Witts.
We cannot play two first rucks in the same side and Grundy is a far better player.
Cox as a back up ruck works fine. You don't need to have that many ruck options on the list.

If we can get a first or second + what not we should move him on. It makes sense from a list management point of view and we get back into the this year's draft too.

We're in a good position with this. If we get a decent offer for Witts we can get back into the draft. If not, we hold on to him and have great depth. I think we would be nuts not to consider offers. If we could bring in someone cheap as back-up such as Bellchambers as a free agent, this is very viable.

I see what you did there.

The curve ball being that he's out of contract. Personally I'm of the TFT view that he's just a victim of circumstance and would do well in another environment.

That'll hurt some and it might mean we don't get full tote in return, but he's not a 26-28yo depth ruckman that we can carry in the two's for extended periods. He's a developing ruck that needs first ruck time at senior level on his lonesome to take the next step.

The curve ball being that he's out of contract. Personally I'm of the TFT view that he's just a victim of circumstance and would do well in another environment.

That'll hurt some and it might mean we don't get full tote in return, but he's not a 26-28yo depth ruckman that we can carry in the two's for extended periods. He's a developing ruck that needs first ruck time at senior level on his lonesome to take the next step.

I agree. I really like Witts and would be sad to see him go. But I think we have a really good one in Grundy and it may be one of those mutually beneficial situations. But I wouldn't give him up for cheap, out of contract or not.

Another cheap back-up option, Jamar. I like what he gave the Bombers last night, and he is a guy (unlike Hudson who was all effort but never a great tap ruck) that could actually help tutor Grundy and teach a lot.

Success means little to sustaibability. Brisbane aided by concessions won three flags and having nothing to show for it in terms of finances sponsorship or membership.

The Giants with their powerful young list will run into salary cap problems. They may not be able to afford Witts. Not sure extending concessions to GWS will be on the radar.

I agree. I really like Witts and would be sad to see him go. But I think we have a really good one in Grundy and it may be one of those mutually beneficial situations. But I wouldn't give him up for cheap, out of contract or not.

Another cheap back-up option, Jamar. I like what he gave the Bombers last night, and he is a guy (unlike Hudson who was all effort but never a great tap ruck) that could actually help tutor Grundy and teach a lot.

I really don't think the offers are going to come thick and fast for an out of contract 24yo ruckman thats played 12 of the past 32 matches and bested 30 hitouts just 4 times in his career.

I think the best we'll do is Fremantle's second rounder depending on the outcome of McCarthy. That looks like it'll be circa 20 and with the almost decade long investment we've had in Witts that's low end.

It goes against earlier comments, but I'd almost be more interested in shifting Grundy who'll get us a top 10 pick and change if we don't think Witts' ceiling is that far off Grundy's long term...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back