News James Kelly appointed as an Assistant Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully he isn't a Chris Scott yes man.

Well putting Atkins at the start of the 3rd qtr on Petracca - and the Dees had a goal within 30 seconds- that wasnt borderline stupid - that was totally utterly stupid

Who was the Geelong coach that night who made that move Chris Scott - so i wouldnt assume any logical changes in the offseason when he is still calling the shots

Yeah good point amid all the things he’s done that have worked it’s that, that split second that defines him as a coach. All the other coaches in the comp that have been unable to stop Petracca it was just bad luck but that instance was proof that our coach with a quarter century of experience in the league is an idiot

Yeah good point amid all the things he’s done that have worked it’s that, that split second that defines him as a coach. All the other coaches in the comp that have been unable to stop Petracca it was just bad luck but that instance was proof that our coach with a quarter century of experience in the league is an idiot

Who was on Petracca on Saturday? Whoever it was put in an Atkins-like performance. Or just maybe Petracca is too good for most midfielders in the league.

Look we all want to see Geelong do well

One thing i will give Kelly - is he does come across as a very loyal type of person

I heard Kelly 2 yrs back on a radio interview - when he was still at Ess - and he spoke glowingly of John Worsfold - thought the world of him - and was very loyal to Worsfold . And this was at that messy/stupid time - when who was the Ess coach at the time - Worsfold or Rutten ? - they hadnt really handed it over at that stage - it was mess

They then asked him about Ben Rutten - and Kelly said - look he is very ambitious - thats all he said

OUT: Scarlett - a terrible people-person, and someone who has a rep as being an absolute dick

IN: Gentleman James - a much loved personality, with a light-hearted side, who by all reports was well received at Essendon by the young kids, and has always been a solid, upstanding person

Really not sure how people can be upset about this.

I've gone as hard as anyone on the club, for its stance and a lot of the fallout that's resulted. With that said, I'm getting my wish, and there is significant turnover -with Scarlett being the main domino to fall that will enact some of that change. Scott may go too, if Mad_Catter is on the money, so we are doing more than any of us could have hoped for, post Prelim Final.

If Kelly is coming back, I love that, and think he'll bring with him some new ideas and a great attitude that both young and old will be able to get around (reckon him and Isaac Smith will get along like a house on fire considering their similar 'larrikin' personas). Targeting Hansen from the Dogs, would be another great get if we were able to snare him. Maybe even Caracella too - if that became a possibility.

Regardless of where you fall, things are changing now that Hocking has returned - and turned the whole place inside out within weeks of our Prelim disaster. Post finals, before the coaching changes, Clark looked a foregone conclusion, with not much of a pick coming back in return, due to our stance towards him. Fast forward to now, and we're digging in, saying we'll keep him if we can and looking for a higher pick if Freo want him. Again, that feels highly influenced by Hocking's return, and you can already see just how quickly the cogs are turning, when it comes to making significant changes both within the coaching ranks and the club ethos as a whole.

I'll piss and moan at the best of times, but it's genuinely baffling if people can't see the bright side in bringing back such a gem of our club, and a wonderful person to boot.

Are you kidding me?
The crap hit the fan at essendon

Kelly had been sinking a stack of beer and pies after he retired.
He played a couple of 'celebrity' type games at St Mary's in Darwin.

And was then pulled back in through desperation. He did well.

He had retired.
He had made peace with it etc but he retired AFTER he was told he wouldn't be offered a contract at Geelong. All the language at the time was "last game for Geelong" etc
Example https://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/455486/kelly-to-play-last-cats-game

Like Chapman, SJ, and Stokes he was effectively (or literally) delisted. We know the justification for it but they were all pushed and I didn't like it.

Few people would say not so great bringing ex players back all the time but he had a decent amount of time after leaving the Cats at Bombers etc.

Loved him as a player.

I would normally have preferred to have someone who isnt ex geelong (no baggage etc) but hes done a lot of time elsewhere and the essendon players raved about his communication and development skills so i think its a good appointment. Hopefully he can bring a more attacking gameplan for our defenders with him.

He had made peace with it etc but he retired AFTER he was told he wouldn't be offered a contract at Geelong. All the language at the time was "last game for Geelong" etc
Example https://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/455486/kelly-to-play-last-cats-game

Like Chapman, SJ, and Stokes he was effectively (or literally) delisted. We know the justification for it but they were all pushed and I didn't like it.

All great clubs have to go through the same thing. Hawthorn effectively pushed Hodge, Mitchell and Lewis out. Richmond did the same thing with Houli recently who was on radio saying he was adament in wanting to play on in 2022 less than 48 hours before he publicly announced his 'retirement.'

OUT: Scarlett - a terrible people-person, and someone who has a rep as being an absolute dick

IN: Gentleman James - a much loved personality, with a light-hearted side, who by all reports was well received at Essendon by the young kids, and has always been a solid, upstanding person

I've gone as hard as anyone on the club, for its stance and a lot of the fallout that's resulted. With that said, I'm getting my wish, and there is significant turnover -with Scarlett being the main domino to fall that will enact some of that change. Scott may go too, if Mad_Catter is on the money, so we are doing more than any of us could have hoped for, post Prelim Final.

If Kelly is coming back, I love that, and think he'll bring with him some new ideas and a great attitude that both young and old will be able to get around (reckon him and Isaac Smith will get along like a house on fire considering their similar 'larrikin' personas). Targeting Hansen from the Dogs, would be another great get if we were able to snare him. Maybe even Caracella too - if that became a possibility.

Regardless of where you fall, things are changing now that Hocking has returned - and turned the whole place inside out within weeks of our Prelim disaster. Post finals, before the coaching changes, Clark looked a foregone conclusion, with not much of a pick coming back in return, due to our stance towards him. Fast forward to now, and we're digging in, saying we'll keep him if we can and looking for a higher pick if Freo want him. Again, that feels highly influenced by Hocking's return, and you can already see just how quickly the cogs are turning, when it comes to making significant changes both within the coaching ranks and the club ethos as a whole.

I'll piss and moan at the best of times, but it's genuinely baffling if people can't see the bright side in bringing back such a gem of our club, and a wonderful person to boot.
I'm good with Kelly coming in and glad changes are being made

But the reality is the main architect remains

No - i dont want another job for the boys

Id much prefer an assistant from a successfull club - not a former player of Scott

Geel got flogged in the PF with a Scott game plan that fell to bits - do you reckon Kelly is going to have a go about that to Chris

Re Taylor - ive heard him interviewed this year - and he referes to the missfits - which is absolute rubbish

who cares where they come from? i just want the best assistants regardless of former geelong affiliation or not. I don't see why that should be the defining or splitting criteria to progress forward with.

Great post.

I remember some years ago watching the West Indies in the nets one time and they were rabble back then. Viv Richards was involved in the coaching and he was being interviewed saying he didn't know what to do with the squad, they had no discipline...yadda yadda. Someone like Gordon Greenidge was also there. I thought back then that former greats must be a ****ing pain in the neck to young players coming up. Would not have former players about like that. Or former teamates of the coach. Matey mate mate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know, I would have preferred we didn't do it.

And thats fine but that isnt a black mark against us as a club because all clubs sack great players near retirement age...its very frequent.

Stoked with this appointment. Ticks a few boxes right away...

1. Time away from the club actually being a coach in the AFL system.
2. Genuine love of the region and the GFC, exemplified by stepping away from a job with the Bombers, mostly because it was too far from 'home'.
3. Shows clear insight into the game and how to work with modern players, whenever you hear him speak.
4. Modelled both a fantastic work ethic and a 'let's enjoy this' attitude throughout his playing career, which can only be good for a playing group that doesn't seem all that close at the moment.

Really pleased he's getting involved again now, when we really need some fresh voices and a sense of fun back around the place. If they get Hansen as well, I'll start to build some confidence that we're making the best of our current malaise by genuinely looking to change things up around the coaching table.

Welcome home, Kells...

Last edited:
I know, I would have preferred we didn't do it.
It's not really any clubs fault or even a bad thing. The club tries to look at the whole of list in terms of recruiting, drafting, playing opportunity, game-style, salaries etc.

The players purely look at this situation for themselves. Most don't want to let go - whether its for salary and/or being involved in one of the greatest environments that they will ever be in for the rest of their lives.

I remember some years ago watching the West Indies in the nets one time and they were rabble back then. Viv Richards was involved in the coaching and he was being interviewed saying he didn't know what to do with the squad, they had no discipline...yadda yadda. Someone like Gordon Greenidge was also there. I thought back then that former greats must be a ******* pain in the neck to young players coming up. Would not have former players about like that. Or former teamates of the coach. Matey mate mate
What about Woofa?

Get joel corey bacj from bulldogs, then it will be an even better day
He's no longer involved with the Bulldogs having moved on to take up a development role with Fremantle last year - Fremantle have added premiership playing and coaching experience to their ranks with Joel Corey joining the club as a development coach.

Having finally moved back home to WA it may be unlikely he's going to pack his bags to return to Vic any time soon - especially if external factors such as family came into the decision to move back to WA

Well putting Atkins at the start of the 3rd qtr on Petracca - and the Dees had a goal within 30 seconds- that wasnt borderline stupid - that was totally utterly stupid

Who was the Geelong coach that night who made that move Chris Scott - so i wouldnt assume any logical changes in the offseason when he is still calling the shots

I actually think that move showed at least we are aware of what the issues with the team are. Our midfield was completely unaccountable from stoppages. At least we didn't just sit back and pray it would change.

The problem is Parfitt and O'Connor were out, Blicavs was playing at full back and no Stewart made that change difficult to make. Even Dahlhaus who probably is the next best defensive minded player who has played midfield was out. Guthrie was apparently struck down by the virus and looked to be massively struggling. Who else would you try there who has a naturally defensive mindset and the body strength to maybe go up against Petracca, Oliver and Viney? The move didn't work but it's not like we were overflowing with options.

Interesting times. Although I was/am very keen to get non Geelong assistants in, I am happy with this as Pops has done his time elsewhere. He was a Cats champion who didn’t have it all come easy to him. Tough as nails and appears to have the right demeanour. - Tick.
Having said that, imho the next two replacements should be from outside the club.

I remember some years ago watching the West Indies in the nets one time and they were rabble back then. Viv Richards was involved in the coaching and he was being interviewed saying he didn't know what to do with the squad, they had no discipline...yadda yadda. Someone like Gordon Greenidge was also there. I thought back then that former greats must be a ******* pain in the neck to young players coming up. Would not have former players about like that. Or former teamates of the coach. Matey mate mate

have always been a family friend of desmond haynes. stayed at his home in barbados before also.

He says the west indies team has a party everytime they lose a cricket game. The culture is not a winning one thats for sure.

what i will say... the bloody reflexes of that man.... even at his ripe older age i can recall him chucking balls at me from halfway down the cricket pitch in the practice nets. i was a fairly strong 16 year old at the time and hit one smack out of the middle as hard as i could right at him... he didnt even flinch, just stuck his hand out and caught it like it was a slow moving apple.

i guess facing jeff thompson as an international opening batsman and facing the west indies speed attack in the training nets daily would give you freakishly good reflexes beyond what us ordinary folks have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back