Recruiting James Hird Academy (Father/Son and Next Generation)

Remove this Banner Ad

The MSD is extremely unpredictable so who knows on Smartt, and I wouldnt have Kako in the top 10 yet so he's every chance to still be there when we pick. End of the day, he's sub 180cm and clubs are often reluctant to take small forwards early.
Kako looks like he plays a bit of midfield as well. Does he project as a Zach Merrett type?

Kako looks like he plays a bit of midfield as well. Does he project as a Zach Merrett type?
His midfield rotations are very occasional, I project him as a small forward at the next level. His strengths are his strong defensive pressure (around the ground generally but especially in F50), his quick decision making and execution which allows him to create opportunities for his teammates before the opposition can flood back, his ability to crumb off packs, and his lead up work ducking into pockets of space for a short pass. Great overhead for his size. All of that screams forward line to me.

His midfield rotations are very occasional, I project him as a small forward at the next level. His strengths are his strong defensive pressure (around the ground generally but especially in F50), his quick decision making and execution which allows him to create opportunities for his teammates before the opposition can flood back, his ability to crumb off packs, and his lead up work ducking into pockets of space for a short pass. Great overhead for his size. All of that screams forward line to me.
Fingers crossed then.
How does he go in traffic?

I think it will have a little influence, especially in the 1st 5-7 picks.
No influence at all IMO and my experience. Clubs do not evaluate players based on what previous players in the same position do.

Impossible to prove either way I guess, just one of those 'vibe' things.
In my 13 years of working at the bottom end of the recruiting ladder I never saw it.

Going over results, seems like all of Koby Bewick, Aidan Ramanauskas and Max Alessio are all playing in the same age group. Lucas Ramanauskas seems to be playing “up” an age group as well despite being two years younger.

All at Strathmore. They are spread across the three teams Strathmore are fielding. Bewick obviously in Div 1 and named captain in one (grading) game. That 2027-28 drafts could be a bonanza i this group continues to grow.

All of Bewick, Allesio, Ramanauskas (x2), Hird potentially in that time frame. I still hope that we get access to Jad Naim (Amin’s brother who was in our NGA last year and on our VFL list), seems like a real bolter

Going over results, seems like all of Koby Bewick, Aidan Ramanauskas and Max Alessio are all playing in the same age group. Lucas Ramanauskas seems to be playing “up” an age group as well despite being two years younger.

All at Strathmore. They are spread across the three teams Strathmore are fielding. Bewick obviously in Div 1 and named captain in one (grading) game. That 2027-28 drafts could be a bonanza i this group continues to grow.

All of Bewick, Allesio, Ramanauskas (x2), Hird potentially in that time frame. I still hope that we get access to Jad Naim (Amin’s brother who was in our NGA last year and on our VFL list), seems like a real bolter
Far out. Imagine if we also pick up Harley Reid. Would be great timing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Far out. Imagine if we also pick up Harley Reid. Would be great timing.

Add Cove McPhee to that who goes, ok to that age bracket.

Obviously a fair bit to play out but Logan Daniher is another who could come from the clouds over the next 24 months

The MSD is extremely unpredictable so who knows on Smartt, and I wouldnt have Kako in the top 10 yet so he's every chance to still be there when we pick. End of the day, he's sub 180cm and clubs are often reluctant to take small forwards early.
Reluctant? You sure about that. Small forwards with even with low production in under 18s are getting taken high. Gothard was a surprise pick at 12 last year and kako has way better production than him. Watson was taken at pick 5, wouldn’t have gone top 20 a few years ago.

Reluctant? You sure about that. Small forwards with even with low production in under 18s are getting taken high. Gothard was a surprise pick at 12 last year and kako has way better production than him. Watson was taken at pick 5, wouldn’t have gone top 20 a few years ago.
I stand by what I said. The majority of forwards (non key forwards) that are taken high are the more medium sized mid/fwd guys like Sheezel, Pedlar, Duursma etc. Over the last 5 drafts there are only two guys taken in the top 20 picks that could be argued as pure small forwards to my mind. Watson and Rachele. Of those two, only Nick Watson is your classic true crumbing small forward. Gothard played as a high half forward, covered the ground and got involved more in general play and not a big goal scorer. Rachele was not dissimilar to Kako, played the crumbing role when forward, but also rotated through the middle a bit from memory.

Last season, Watson asked his Eastern coaches to let him play further up the ground off wing and half back because he'd apparently been told by recruiters that it would improve his draft stock if he could show that he was more than just a small forward.

If Kako was taken inside the top 10 it wouldnt be completely unprecedented but it would buck the trend, and the ones that do get taken there tend to be absolutely gun juniors.

Edit: of course there was Pickett and Weightman back in 2019 which I forgot about. Both taken outside the top 10 but inside 20.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back